ImageImageImage

By far the best officiated game of the playoffs last night

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

By far the best officiated game of the playoffs last night 

Post#1 » by GonzoLays » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:02 pm

I didn't scream bloody murder on a single call last night. The refs didn't make themselves bigger than the game and you didn't see too much complaining from either coach or team.

All the flop/charges were bang-bang plays and could have went either way. No complaint here.

For the love of god, stern, please keep the same officials for the rest of the series. They let both teams play and they called obvious fouls.

If you put Joey Crawford and Kenny Mauer in this series, I might strangle myself to death.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#2 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:04 pm

Probably the best officating I ever seen.
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#3 » by shobe_81 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:07 pm

I don't know man Gasol had a clean block on KG which they called a foul, Gasol had his foot in the backcourt when they called a backcourt violation on the Lakers. And PJ pushed a lot but that's also due to the defender not holding his position.

Either way, not many calls that would've changed the outcome. And of-court the winning team fans would never really complain about the calls!
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#4 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:09 pm

The Gasol block was clean but it was Turiaf that bumped KG.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,105

Post#5 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:17 pm

I think it helps that compared to the detroit and cleveland series for us as well as the utah-Lakers series, it really wasn't that physical-I'm not sure why Mike Breen kept insisting it was getting physical. Both teams took a pretty good amount of jumpshots. Makes for an easier game to officiate, though overall with the exception of the gasol block and over and back the officials got the tough ones right IMO.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#6 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:20 pm

There were some bad calls (Gasol did have a clean block, Fisher did charge into Pierce on the break, Odom did charge into Brown in the 4th, the foul on Sasha shooting the 3 AFTER HE LANDED WHICH DIDN'T AFFECT THE SHOT AT ALL, those are some big blown ones, but otherwise the best officiated game of the playoffs.

They should ditch the rotating crews and stick with this one for the whole series. Dick Bavetta>>>>>>>Bennet Salvatore, Steve Javie, Kenny Mauer, Violet Palmer, etc.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Vincent Burnett
Freshman

Post#7 » by Vincent Burnett » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:23 pm

I think the game was poorly reffed. Kobe was allowed to mug P2 at times even when he had the ball. Also P2 got called for a fould on what should have been a charge on LO. The refs missed alot of calls both ways.

Vincenzo
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#8 » by GonzoLays » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:23 pm

shobe_81 wrote:I don't know man Gasol had a clean block on KG which they called a foul, Gasol had his foot in the backcourt when they called a backcourt violation on the Lakers. And PJ pushed a lot but that's also due to the defender not holding his position.

Either way, not many calls that would've changed the outcome. And of-court the winning team fans would never really complain about the calls!

There is always going to blown calls but this game didn't have that feel of one team getting all the calls and the other team isn't.

They let the teams play and on the calls that they did miss, could you fault them? They don't have slow-mo reply out there.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,105

Post#9 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:23 pm

^ are you talking about the alley oopplay? I hate it when players just throw them selves in front of guys like Paul did last night. Its not a play on the ball at all. I'm glad didn't call that it was definitely not a charge and if anything is a block. He wasn't even moving toward the basket when Paul stepped in front of him.
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by shobe_81 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:34 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:^ are you talking about the alley oopplay? I hate it when players just throw them selves in front of guys like Paul did last night. Its not a play on the ball at all. I'm glad didn't call that it was definitely not a charge and if anything is a block. He wasn't even moving toward the basket when Paul stepped in front of him.

Yea I agree, a player passing the ball should have the right to come down especially when he's moving away from the basket. And PP didn't even get in position until Fisher had already passed the ball!
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#11 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:53 pm

GreenGrizz wrote:The Gasol block was clean but it was Turiaf that bumped KG.

Exactly at first I was like that wasnt a foul then I saw Turiafs right forearm go into the Celtic player
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,082

Post#12 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Jun 6, 2008 7:58 pm

I thought overall the game was called pretty evenly, they missed some on both sides but they didn't really favor either team. Perk got screwed on a couple, Gasol got screwed for sure on a block, etc., but as long as they keep it even I'm happy.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#13 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah, officiating was on point
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#14 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:20 pm

Did KG really save that ball in the backcourt? And should it have been a backcourt on the Lakers in the 1st? For me, I thought both of those calls were wrong...but I'm not going to write the nba about it. :lol:
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#15 » by HitMan52 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:26 pm

The only problem I had about the officiating is when Perkins was undercut and injured by Derek Fisher and they still called the foul on Perkins.

Everything else was pretty much good no calls or 50-50 calls that could have gone either way.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#16 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:48 pm

shobe_81 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yea I agree, a player passing the ball should have the right to come down especially when he's moving away from the basket. And PP didn't even get in position until Fisher had already passed the ball!

Then why did Vujacic get free throws when he was crashed into AFTER he'd already released his shot and landed his jumper?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#17 » by shobe_81 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 9:33 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Then why did Vujacic get free throws when he was crashed into AFTER he'd already released his shot and landed his jumper?

Pierce tried to draw a foul on the passer, Fisher is already in the air and ready to pass, what's going to do? Change his direction?

Sash was SHOOTING the ball, I didn't get a clear look at a reply but they usually call a foul if the refs know your shot is off and you get hit on the hand.

Two completely different scenarios!
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,160

Post#18 » by chakdaddy » Fri Jun 6, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm just shocked that they actually let us guard Kobe - that alone made it well officiated in my book. I figured he'd get a Jordan red carpet to the line any time he missed...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,792

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:28 pm

I agree with all this. Excellently-officiated does NOT entail 100% correct.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,137

Post#20 » by MaxwellSmart » Sat Jun 7, 2008 12:25 am

HitMan52 wrote:The only problem I had about the officiating is when Perkins was undercut and injured by Derek Fisher and they still called the foul on Perkins.

Everything else was pretty much good no calls or 50-50 calls that could have gone either way.

BINGO!.....this was the only Blatantly BAD call of the night.

Return to Boston Celtics