Pacers/Clippers/Hornets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Pacers/Clippers/Hornets 

Post#1 » by loserX » Fri Jun 6, 2008 11:27 pm

Pacers trade
Jamaal Tinsley

Pacers receive
Mike James

I keep hearing that the Pacers are willing to take just about anyone for Tinsley...well, here's anyone ;) In seriousness, James' contract is smaller annually and one year shorter than Tinsley's, and while he has significantly less talent than Tinsley he can also help out at PG without all the baggage.

Clippers trade
Tim Thomas

Clippers receive
Jamaal Tinsley

The Clippers take a chance on personality and health (and add a year's salary), but get a legitimate starter in exchange for not very much. If Livingston either isn't ready to go, or doesn't develop as hoped, the Clips have a talented solution at PG.

Hornets trade
Mike James

Hornets receive
Tim Thomas

The Hornets were looking for big man depth last season...although Thomas is not a prototypical 4 by any stretch, he can certainly play enough minutes to relieve David West, and his shooting might help spread the floor for Chandler (somewhat). The cost is only a bench guard who rarely saw the floor after the Hornets acquired him.

Thoughts? Does the "one man's trash is another's treasure" maxim work here?
massey1992
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by massey1992 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 11:29 pm

I actually like it for all involved. Good for Pacers because they get rid of Tinsley and good for the others because they bring in some new players. Good job on this trade loserX.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,625

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 11:50 pm

Pacers accept.

In all honesty, I really think Tinsley just needs a change of scenery, much like Stephen Jackson needed. Despite what many people think, Tinsley is actually a good player when on the court, obviously hes not always there though. The Pacers are just ready to move on from all these bad imagines.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't think the Pacers can afford to just go naked at PG. Tinsley will likely be dealt, but unless the Pacers are confident in whichever PG they select at #11, I don't see this happening. Even if, say, Westbrook is their day one starter, Jamaal can fetch a bit more than this. A completely useless expiring or a useful '10 expirings would be goals for the Pacers to attain in a Tinsely trade. I mean, he's a 12/4/8 dude, after all.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
loserX

Post#5 » by loserX » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:31 am

DGrangeRx33 wrote:Pacers accept.

In all honesty, I really think Tinsley just needs a change of scenery, much like Stephen Jackson needed. Despite what many people think, Tinsley is actually a good player when on the court, obviously hes not always there though. The Pacers are just ready to move on from all these bad imagines.

I agree. Tinsley is the most talented player in this trade, and it isn't close. The problem (as everybody knows) is all the non-talent-related issues he has, which is why the Clips get to pick him up on the "cheap" here. Meanwhile the Pacers get him out of town, save a little money, and (crucially) don't give up any other assets to do it. Just depends how low they set their demands on a return, I guess.

Any other opinions? Clips fans, do you think this is a possibility?
hornets686
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by hornets686 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:14 am

i like it
>:oPut this in your profile if your pissed that the Duke Lacrosse team didn't invite you to their party.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#7 » by bryant08 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:20 am

Good deal overall IMO.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#8 » by BrooklynBulls » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:33 am

If Pacers accept this, why not cut out the 3rd team, and trade Tinsley for Thomas straight up? I proposed Tinsley for Mobley in another thread, as I though the Clippers wouldn't want to be losing out on the money end of the deal quite so badly.

Would Mobley for Tinsley be better for both teams? Mobley is a bit more expensive than James, but he's better, as well.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,103

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 8, 2008 11:40 am

the Pacers would trade Tinsley for a wet noodle at this point. it has nothing to do with his on court production or even his health. he's the symbol to the community of the off court problems the team must put behind them. if we have to play Andre Owens at point, so be it. some would play Tully Bevilaqua ahead of Tins now.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
ClipperEric
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#10 » by ClipperEric » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:32 pm

Player for Player Thomas for Tinsley makes sense, but I don't see the Clips taking on the extra year of salary for a not-very-good player.

Unless something good comes around, we'll probably hold onto TT until his contract expires. =(
ClipperEric
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#11 » by ClipperEric » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:33 pm

The better option is TT for Jaric. I'd much rather have Jaric than Tinsley.
loserX

Post#12 » by loserX » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:53 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:If Pacers accept this, why not cut out the 3rd team, and trade Tinsley for Thomas straight up?

Because the last thing the Pacers need is more forwards. That's originally how this idea started, but I figured the Hornets need a forward more than they need James, while the Pacers would need SOME kind of PG help more than they need Thomas.

BrooklynBulls wrote:I proposed Tinsley for Mobley in another thread, as I though the Clippers wouldn't want to be losing out on the money end of the deal quite so badly.

Would Mobley for Tinsley be better for both teams? Mobley is a bit more expensive than James, but he's better, as well.

That's interesting too. My thoughts there are that Mobley would just sit behind Dunleavy, whereas the Pacers would still be short at PG, and the fact that he's more expensive might push the Pacers into the tax this year, which negates some of the savings they get from moving Tinsley. Again, it depends on how badly they want to get rid of Jamaal.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#13 » by shrink » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:15 pm

I think these are exactly the type of deals that Indiana needs to do, and are reminiscent of McHale's financial turn-around in MIN.

Last year after the Garnett trade finally allowed MIN its first chance to rebuild in ten years, McHale made four trades to chop a year or two off most of their longterm vets. Out were the deal of Blount, Trenton Hassell, and, yes Mike James, and in return MIN got less talented players, but deals entirely made of of expirings and two-year contracts.

This year, MIN is in great shape financially. They have only one overpaid player (Marko Jaric), and he actually is pretty useful. The two-year deals have turned into $13 mil in expirings, and MIN has $23 mil coming off the books next Summer.

IND has talent problems, but their bigger issue is that hey are in a similar financial stranglehold. A deal like this not only maintains the young pick, but it would speed up the rebuild. Tinsley is more talented, but this frees up playing time to develop young players. It would also be a PR gain in Indiana.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#14 » by shrink » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:20 pm

ClipperEric wrote:The better option is TT for Jaric. I'd much rather have Jaric than Tinsley.

MIN would have to say yes to this. They would probably try to send Tim Thomas elsewhere to a place where he'd fit better, but they simply can't afoord to say no to chopping a year off of Jaric's contract.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#15 » by BrooklynBulls » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:29 pm

loserX wrote:That's interesting too. My thoughts there are that Mobley would just sit behind Dunleavy, whereas the Pacers would still be short at PG, and the fact that he's more expensive might push the Pacers into the tax this year, which negates some of the savings they get from moving Tinsley. Again, it depends on how badly they want to get rid of Jamaal.

My feelings on Tinsley are...not good. So I think trading Tim Thomas for him is overpayment. However, Mobley is very similar in terms of overall salary; Tinsley just costs a couple million more over one more year. But you're right about the luxury tax; they're closer than I thought. However, the Pacers are in a position where it looks like they'll be making some signiicant changes, and one of those could reduce that salary. Tinsley for Mobley has basically no statute of limitations and would be easy to do, even mid-season.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#16 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:36 pm

Cound LAC in.

Return to Trades and Transactions