ImageImageImage

Who else is just proud of Paul Pierce?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#21 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:52 pm

I was so happy that pierce stayed and might win it with us. I could not go through another ray bourque moment like I did with the Bruins. Traded away, and won the championship with the avs. Yes, I am glad he won one, but it is so tough to swallow that he could never get it done here.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#22 » by Athanacropolis » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 pm

Datruth345 wrote:i feel like a proud father watching Paul Pierce this season.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I feel the same way as you Datruth, and as everyone else in this thread. I've watched the guy from the get-go, and feel so happy for him that he's on the verge of greatness. He's been the only hope of this franchise for so long, and got so much flack here in New England that was mostly unjustified, that I can't help but be ecstatic for him.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#23 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I remember not believing our luck at drafting him. I remember being worried for his as a person and as a fan when he was stabbed, then amazed when he played 82 games that year. When he and Antoine led the C's to the 2002 ECF it was sealed. I followed through all the down years and all season this year. One of the all-time great Celtics...lead the team to the promised land, Paul...finish this series!!!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#24 » by celtics543 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I was only 10 when he was drafted, so I wasn't much into the whole in-depth analyzing and had no idea how lucky we had gotten. It has been a joy to watch Paul mature over the last ten years. When he got hurt in game one, and I thought he might be done for the series, I started to reflect on all the great games he's had in Boston, that I have had the opportunity to watch over the years.

In no particular order, there was the game against the Nets in the regular season where he dropped 46 points in the second half. There was the regular season game against the Lakers in the Kobe/Shaq era where Paul and "Toine led the celts to a win, where Shaq coined the nickname, "The Truth". Then there was the comeback against the Nets. After that there were some lean years where he put up great stats but the team wasn't doing well overall and Antoine got traded. I remember seeing Paul struggle to be a leader and listening to Tommy and Mike talk about how he was reading leadership books and really trying hard to be the teams leader now that Antoine was gone. I remember how he was failing at that role and he went through some tough stretches where his name was all over the place in trade rumors. Then we got Antoine back, and Paul was as happy as he had been in a long time as we cruised into the playoffs and got bounced in the first round. Antoine was gone again, and we had Pierce and Ricky Davis leading the charge, with Al Jefferson starting to emerge. All through this time, Pierce was still making the effort to be a leader, and never complained once about all the losing. I remember watching last year every game as Paul had to struggle though injury, but Big Al and Ryan Gomes were allowed to blossom, which built them up enough to be traded for KG. Ray Allen was brought in at the draft, and the smile hasn't left Paul's face since. I'm so proud of him for never demanding a trade as so many other "superstars" did, like Kobe, Vince, Tracy, etc.

He is a true Celtic and really the only guy on this team that was really close with Red. You can see in every postgame interview that he does, he either points to the sky or mentions Red in some way. He will surely have his number in the rafters one day, and hopefully we will have gotten to raise at least one banner because of him. The day that his number goes into those rafters will really be a beautiful day, as I believe that KG and Ray Allen will probably go in right alongside him as the three guys who restored Celtic Pride.

Antoine is someone who my respect level for has gone up ever since he left Boston. When he played for us, I used to get mad at his chucking and just poor play, but now, I see that he had as much Celtic Pride as one can possibly have. He loves this team and this city, and I wish that he could have been even the twelfth man on this team. I think that after all he did for this team and with the amount of love he has for it, that he should be here when and if we win the title. At the very least maybe they should offer him a coaching spot next year, or maybe even a special ring for his years of displaying Celtic Pride.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,266

Post#25 » by djsunyc » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm

this is kg's and ray's influence on pierce. young grasshopper has learned well...
The Big Dog
Lead Assistant
And1: 31

Post#26 » by The Big Dog » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:28 pm

When Pierce used to rank himself in the league by saying things like "I'm a top 10 player in the league", etc., he came off as slightly delusional (to me at least). These playoffs have been a validation for all those statements. Year after year, Pierce has always been big in the playoffs, and when so many other supposedly better players come up short, I see now that his claims ring true.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#27 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:31 pm

djsunyc wrote:this is kg's and ray's influence on pierce. young grasshopper has learned well...

**** YOU
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#28 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

**** YOU
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
kansasceltic
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#29 » by kansasceltic » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:22 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#30 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Huh? What's going on?

:dontknow:

I was just confused why he^^ said "**** you" when it seemed unwarranted??
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,704

Post#31 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Not only am I proud of Paul Pierce but I'm also grateful he is a Celtic.
ChrisWaher
Freshman

Post#32 » by ChrisWaher » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm absolutely stunned seeing Paul Pierce - a player who looked like you average 'team scorer' for an outsider for the longest time, rise up to the occasion and be a true star. Not just now in the playoffs, but throughout the season, while KG brought so much to the table, Pierce has been the true captain of the team. You guys are blessed to have him :)

Just amazing, NBA - The only place where the Truth happens.
Chris
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#33 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:28 pm

celtics543 wrote:I was only 10 when he was drafted, so I wasn't much into the whole in-depth analyzing and had no idea how lucky we had gotten. It has been a joy to watch Paul mature over the last ten years. When he got hurt in game one, and I thought he might be done for the series, I started to reflect on all the great games he's had in Boston, that I have had the opportunity to watch over the years.

In no particular order, there was the game against the Nets in the regular season where he dropped 46 points in the second half. There was the regular season game against the Lakers in the Kobe/Shaq era where Paul and "Toine led the celts to a win, where Shaq coined the nickname, "The Truth". Then there was the comeback against the Nets. After that there were some lean years where he put up great stats but the team wasn't doing well overall and Antoine got traded. I remember seeing Paul struggle to be a leader and listening to Tommy and Mike talk about how he was reading leadership books and really trying hard to be the teams leader now that Antoine was gone. I remember how he was failing at that role and he went through some tough stretches where his name was all over the place in trade rumors. Then we got Antoine back, and Paul was as happy as he had been in a long time as we cruised into the playoffs and got bounced in the first round. Antoine was gone again, and we had Pierce and Ricky Davis leading the charge, with Al Jefferson starting to emerge. All through this time, Pierce was still making the effort to be a leader, and never complained once about all the losing. I remember watching last year every game as Paul had to struggle though injury, but Big Al and Ryan Gomes were allowed to blossom, which built them up enough to be traded for KG. Ray Allen was brought in at the draft, and the smile hasn't left Paul's face since. I'm so proud of him for never demanding a trade as so many other "superstars" did, like Kobe, Vince, Tracy, etc.

He is a true Celtic and really the only guy on this team that was really close with Red. You can see in every postgame interview that he does, he either points to the sky or mentions Red in some way. He will surely have his number in the rafters one day, and hopefully we will have gotten to raise at least one banner because of him. The day that his number goes into those rafters will really be a beautiful day, as I believe that KG and Ray Allen will probably go in right alongside him as the three guys who restored Celtic Pride.

Antoine is someone who my respect level for has gone up ever since he left Boston. When he played for us, I used to get mad at his chucking and just poor play, but now, I see that he had as much Celtic Pride as one can possibly have. He loves this team and this city, and I wish that he could have been even the twelfth man on this team. I think that after all he did for this team and with the amount of love he has for it, that he should be here when and if we win the title. At the very least maybe they should offer him a coaching spot next year, or maybe even a special ring for his years of displaying Celtic Pride.

Yeah I'm 22 and was 2 months when Celtics last won it all. In the same boat and all the stuff you mentioned are my Celtics memories. My frist memory was when ML Carr left and then Rick Pitino came in and blew the whole thing up. My dad showed me the roster and how only Rick Fox and Davis Wesley were back. Then of coruse came the promising rookie in Antoine. Then a few years later Pierce.

Although this team did have some down time during his years, I think we should all credit Pierce and especially Antoine for showing the Celtic pride. As bad as Walker would play sometimes he was one of the few guys that knew what it meant to put on that Green. And it meant something to him. I'm glad Pierce is finally getting all this recognition. IMO hes been a top 10 player ever since his 3rd or 4th year and I was so happy when we stole him in the draft. I Hope this team can seal the deal and we can get another parade in this town. Would also be surprised if Antoine didn't show up for some sort of celebration. No sour grapes, he's already got his ring, you know.

BUT... It's not over. Would be nice to win this thing in Boston, but it would be even better to shock the Lakers at home and take the trophy home ASAP. GO GREEN. Get #17 packaged and delivered soon!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#34 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:57 pm

^^Wow I'm just shy of 30, but since I grew up watching the Bird glory-years, y'all make me feel old! 8)
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
BeanTownBrawler
Veteran
And1: 121

Post#35 » by BeanTownBrawler » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:28 pm

celtics543 wrote:I was only 10 when he was drafted, so I wasn't much into the whole in-depth analyzing and had no idea how lucky we had gotten. It has been a joy to watch Paul mature over the last ten years. When he got hurt in game one, and I thought he might be done for the series, I started to reflect on all the great games he's had in Boston, that I have had the opportunity to watch over the years.

Amazing post man... agree 100% with everything you said :clap:

I am almost 22 so I am close to you in age and I have grown up with Paul Pierce on the Celtics, and watching him do this on the biggest stage is so gratifying. If we win this (still gotta play the games), I wish all of us could celebrate together with the team, we all deserve it!
"I have conflicted feelings right now. I mean its great and all, and no way I'd change it, but does anyone else kinda feel that we got luckier than we deserved to get? It almost feels like we're the benefactor of some NBA conspiracy."
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#36 » by sully00 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 pm

The best part about all of this is that as much as everyone looks at Paul as if time was running out on him, the dude just turned 30 he has 3 or 4 more years of championship caliber ball in him. Not the 25/7/5 dominant regular season, but the take over come playoff time years, which as we now know is what really matters.

How can you not be proud? Paul Pierce has graduated.

And I was around for Bird and it was very special but the irony is that this the part of his career that was stolen from him by injury.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#37 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:55 pm

I Have been a celtic fan for 30 years. I am very proud to have him among the celtic greats.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,875

Post#38 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Watching Larry Bird may have gotten me interested in basketball, but watching Paul Pierce got me to bleed green. That's when you know how much a player means to your franchise.

When we lost the lotto last year it was the emptiest feeling I've ever had as a sports fan...until Paul went down in game 1. My immediate reaction was not a championship flashing before my eyes. I saw my favorite player, the guy who truly makes me proud to be a Celtics fan, have his dreams crushed. And when he emerged from that tunnel a few minutes later bouncing up and down like Ali I was more excited than the day we traded for KG. The captain was back, he was OK!

Paul Pierce is the same guy who when I tell my non-Celtic fan buddies he's my favorite player they say his game is ugly, he's a ballhog, he doesn't play defense and worst of all...T-Mac is better. Those same friends are now sending me text messages during the playoffs telling me all the things I've known about him for years. Paul has finally gained the respect from fans of other teams and the media that he's always wanted and goddammit he's earned it. They all finally know The Truth.
BeanTownBrawler
Veteran
And1: 121

Post#39 » by BeanTownBrawler » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:52 pm

bove310 wrote:Watching Larry Bird may have gotten me interested in basketball, but watching Paul Pierce got me to bleed green. That's when you know how much a player means to your franchise.

When we lost the lotto last year it was the emptiest feeling I've ever had as a sports fan...until Paul went down in game 1. My immediate reaction was not a championship flashing before my eyes. I saw my favorite player, the guy who truly makes me proud to be a Celtics fan, have his dreams crushed. And when he emerged from that tunnel a few minutes later bouncing up and down like Ali I was more excited than the day we traded for KG. The captain was back, he was OK!

Paul Pierce is the same guy who when I tell my non-Celtic fan buddies he's my favorite player they say his game is ugly, he's a ballhog, he doesn't play defense and worst of all...T-Mac is better. Those same friends are now sending me text messages during the playoffs telling me all the things I've known about him for years. Paul has finally gained the respect from fans of other teams and the media that he's always wanted and goddammit he's earned it. They all finally know The Truth.

YEAH BOY!!!
"I have conflicted feelings right now. I mean its great and all, and no way I'd change it, but does anyone else kinda feel that we got luckier than we deserved to get? It almost feels like we're the benefactor of some NBA conspiracy."
Al-Haqq
Starter
And1: 1

Post#40 » by Al-Haqq » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:20 am

Only fitting that in his best year as a pro, he gets an NBA Finals championship and MVP, both which are very possible right now. I think he's the most under-rated star player in the league, and he's proving it on the biggest stage of them all.

Return to Boston Celtics