ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: Draft Time 

Post#21 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Why would either of those teams do that? You would have to have the player that they need nobody is going to trade 31 with its nonguaranteed contract for 30 and its guaranteed contract.

One thing that may happen is that a contender may swap an their '09 for a 30 if a player they want is there perhaps even our good friends in LA.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#22 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:33 pm

As much as I love Powe, his trade value is through the roof. He has a 9' 2" standing reach and his production per minute are outstanding. He demonstrated in the playoff run that he is a Brand type player. (Sorry Leon. I love you. But you can be a starting PF in many places, just not in Boston.)

I kind of doubt his trade value is that high. Do you think he could net a first round pick? I don't. Its guys like Powe and TA we should be keeping because their trade value is low compared to what they could produce.

Pete
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by P2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:57 pm

As I said, I think we will trade into the second round to draft Gary Forbes, who we have worked out, and will "buy" another pick in the 20-25 range to draft one of Ajinca, Jawai and Hardin.
P2
Banned User

Post#24 » by P2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm

SprtsAdam wrote:What do you guys think of trading #30 to either Minnesota for #31 (first pick of Round 2) and #34, or to Portland for #33 and #36?

This way we can get two players, right around the same talent level as #30, and not have to pay them as much as a first round pick.

Just for reference, we got Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis early in the second round, while Morris Almond, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Tiago Splitter, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen were the last few picks of last years first round.

Just something to consider.

Yes, I would absolutely do this. And Minnesota and Portland probably would do that, as well, since they have tons of young and inexperienced players. I would take Forbes with the first of the two picks, and the best players available with the second. But I really do think we need to buy a pick in the 20-25 range, so one of the two second rounders would probably have to be included, which is also fine to me.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,001

Post#25 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:03 pm

SprtsAdam wrote:What do you guys think of trading #30 to either Minnesota for #31 (first pick of Round 2) and #34, or to Portland for #33 and #36?

This way we can get two players, right around the same talent level as #30, and not have to pay them as much as a first round pick.

Just for reference, we got Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis early in the second round, while Morris Almond, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Tiago Splitter, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen were the last few picks of last years first round.

Just something to consider.

the 31-37 pick is more valuable than the 30 pick. We would have to give up our second rounder to just move back a spot.

Why? Salary and flexibility.

I would much rather take a guy at 32 than 30 because a 1st round pick has a set deal. Sasy we take a Euri who has a big buyout, we could pay him the MLE as a 2nd round pick. As a first rounder, he is slotted in.

Just an example, but because of the collective bargaining position, the first handful of picks in the second round are more valuable than the last 2 or 3 picks of the first round.
SprtsAdam
Ballboy

Post#26 » by SprtsAdam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 pm

Well I asked the original question and found that Minnesota may have some interest. According to Draftexpress.com, "Minnesota is reportedly looking at packaging their two early 2nd round picks (#31, #34) for a late first round pick, due to roster spot concerns."

Now I know it doesnt say Boston is involved in talks with them, but they are apparently looking, we have the end of the round pick, and we obviously have a relationship and history in trading with them.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#27 » by Dogen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

SprtsAdam wrote:Well I asked the original question and found that Minnesota may have some interest. According to Draftexpress.com, "Minnesota is reportedly looking at packaging their two early 2nd round picks (#31, #34) for a late first round pick, due to roster spot concerns."

Now I know it doesnt say Boston is involved in talks with them, but they are apparently looking, we have the end of the round pick, and we obviously have a relationship and history in trading with them.

Still, since there are many who feel McHale 'gave' KG to the C's already, I think they'll look to do more than package two picks to move up one spot (and a guaranteed money spot at that).
Hey you! Can we come together?
armageddon
Rookie

Post#28 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm on the fence with Hardin. I fear he's another big guy who doesn't really like working hard. I truely have to ask - if teammates Hardin and Anderson are both available - who do you take.

I think that we can find a player like Hardin though free agency who has experience and can contribute right now. Anderson brings the skill that Scal was supposed to provide, a rebounding PF who can stretch the floor. I just don't know if his defensive ability is equal to his offense and rebounding.

I wouldn't touch Walker, his knees are gone. Ajinca would be great but he'll be gone and will take 3 years to develop. We still need to remember the Atlanta series where our lack of big guy athleticism hurt us.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#29 » by Dogen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:58 pm

P2 wrote:As I said, I think we will trade into the second round to draft Gary Forbes, who we have worked out, and will "buy" another pick in the 20-25 range to draft one of Ajinca, Jawai and Hardin.

That's not a bad plan. How is the team 'buying' the 20-25 1st?

In any case, the more I look at this draft, the more I want a player from it, even if it means waiting a year while they develop. There's going to be some quality guys in late 1st and early to mid second. This is Danny's time to shine (again).
Hey you! Can we come together?
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,439

Post#30 » by threrf23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:12 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:As much as I love Powe, his trade value is through the roof. He has a 9' 2" standing reach and his production per minute are outstanding. He demonstrated in the playoff run that he is a Brand type player. (Sorry Leon. I love you. But you can be a starting PF in many places, just not in Boston.)

I like Powe too, but I think we need to shop him around. He's coming off a good performance on the biggest stage on the league, his PER, ORTG, and other minute/possession based stats are very impressive, and given all that I believe some GM out there will be more than willing to overpay for him. I don't think he has more upside than Baby, either.

As to who we draft, I'm still all about Brandon Rush if we can move up. If he's not available, in general I prefer a best player available pick. I don't mind a help us now pick, but the player we draft must be better than what we can accomplish via FA in order to justify that, IMO.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#31 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm

I'd be happy with any of these players in Rd 1:

-Ryan Anderson: Could spell KG, at least offensively; great rebounder, good upside (not great though)
-Bill Walker: Phenomenal athlete. Not much of a shooter though. HUGE upside on the wing
-Jason Thompson: Tall, strong, and fluid. Good touch. Poor competition level; would be a project
-DeVon Hardin: A more athletic Perk; even at 22 though he'd need a year or two to be a big contributor though
-Davon Jefferson: Great scorer, good athlete, lots of potential, especially on D

Players to look at with the last pick:
Sasha Kaun: Great size, taught well in college, still learning the game; very smart player
James Gist: Superb athlete; kind of a jack of all trades; labeled at times as underachiever
Richard Roby: Great spotup shooter, good length
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm

I don't see how multiple picks helps Boston. We don't have that many available roster spots and this draft isn't all that exciting to be honest.

The feeling would seem to be you could move up in the draft to the late teens early 20's but that is the land of all of these guys who were projected as lottery picks and have blown the camps and workouts.

As far as Walker's knees go, it is a medical issue, the doctors look at it and give the answer. Leon Powe's knees were blown too. I think he is going to be a Stephen Jackson type player, a guy you can really build with (if he isn't crazy).

Hardin I like as a more athletic version of Perkins. He doesn't have an effort or work issue he just doesn't have a ton of offensive moves, but he finishes and runs the floor well and really, add a 15-18 ft jumper to that and you have PJ Brown. The kid is a just good defender in a big athletic body.

I thought that SG was going to be a nice way to go at that point in the draft but they seem to keep climbing in the draft as this big stiff party starts sliding down the board.

Nobody is going to be selling off draft picks, PHX and SA are actually looking to aquire more picks to fill out their rosters. More importantly Boston isn't really in a position to buy. We can't take on a bad contract to just to get a better draft pick now.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#33 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm

I just don't understand the "trade powe" idea. um, this guy produces. who gives a rats ass if he's 6-7? he produces. isn't that what it's about?

devon hardin, meh. he just doesn't seem to have the basketball sense. i wouldn't mind only because we've got clifford ray to get him going the right way. he's one of those enigma players, one of the more invisible 7-footers in the NCAA. ryan anderson, another interesting case. not athletic, not strong, but amazingly productive, great instincts, great mental toughness. again, at #30 he wouldn't be a bad pick. he's better than scal, it's not even close.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,110

Post#34 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm

I don't want to speak for LTF but for myself the theory behind dealing Leon Powe is that he just had that monster game in the finals and if you know that his role is never going to expand over what it is right now, essentially limited to the mins behind KG and situation at that, then you simply see what is out there for him. I keep looking at ORL who has a ton of length and no toughness outside of Howard as a place were Leon could start and even be star.

It wouldn't be about trying to get rid of him but trying to get value for him when it is at his highest. I mean if an ORL or WASH called and said they would swap picks with you for Leon would you do it?

College basketball is very difficult game to evaluate big men in I think that Hardin's play had a lot to do with Anderson's production. It is what makes me reluctant to be so down on Hibbert as well but I still am.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#36 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 pm

I see some very good contributing players in the early to mid second round. DA has found solid pros 3 years in row in the second - however, how many undersized PF's do you need.

I'd still love to see a trade of picks and aforementioned undersized PF's and possibly TA for a Varejao or Villeneuava type player (I know, good luck).

I would be happy with Hardin.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,110

Post#37 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Powe had a PER of 20 this year AND he is a big. It would be insane to trade him. Given our current makeup I want whoever we draft to be active/nasty/physical or very versatile. It will be intersting this year b/c we are the last pick it will be pretty easy for Danny to keep who he likes close to the vest. Our needs our maybe backup 1 and 2 and another big. He seems to picke ultraathletic guys for his cakcourt position and bruiser typers for his frontcourt. Thats why I would be shocker to see him pass up some of the guys I mentioned like Walker, Lee, Dorsey. Another guy I liked but i think dropped out was Danny Green.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#38 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:57 pm

One issue with Powe and Davis is they both have just one year left on their contracts. We won't be keeping both past this next season unless Davis loses big weight and can play some 3. I do like them both.

I like signing Kwame Brown as Perk's backup. I don't see a better option and we have Ray to help him. If we do this, then we are more open to the BPA at 30.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#39 » by hiphop1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 am

UGA Hayes wrote:Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.

I wouldnt mind Dorsey, but my pick if he is available at thirty is Jason Thompson. He can play PF or C and is a great shot blocker. Also has a shot out to 15-17 feet, good post moves as well. He did play in a sub par conference(MAAC) but he has skill you can see it when he plays. If Cliff Ray gets ahold of this kid watch out. He reminds me of a poor man's KG.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#40 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 am

hiphop1 wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.

I wouldnt mind Dorsey, but my pick if he is available at thirty is Jason Thompson. He can play PF or C and is a great shot blocker. Also has a shot out to 15-17 feet, good post moves as well. He did play in a sub par conference(MAAC) but he has skill you can see it when he plays. If Cliff Ray gets ahold of this kid watch out. He reminds me of a poor man's KG.

Yeah Thompson I is who I would like at #30 as well. Seems like a good fit, a guy with a lot of potential who just recently figured the game out his senior year. Especially with Big Cliff and KG, this kid is who I want in green.

Bill Walker's knee has me worried although if he's there at 30 I wouldn't object drafting the kid. TA is a proven commodity and he's already had his fair share of knee injuries, we should just keep him and hope that the worst is already behind him.

Return to Boston Celtics