ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Draft Time 

Post#41 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 am

I like Higgins or Dorsey.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#42 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 am

I correct my error. It is Hickson. I like him based on his age and athleticism.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#43 » by sox839 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 am

What do you guys think of trent plaisted? I saw him play he is pretty athletic and has some post moves. I think if he got with Clifford Ray we could have something. I saw him play a few times on TV but he game against north carolina he ooked pretty good to me but of course it is only one game. He had good stats and would be a good backup to Perk. I don't think Plaisted gets enough credit. If Thompson and Hardin are gone would we take him.
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#44 » by KyleCleric » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:06 am

I'm thinking they'll take a high risk, high reward prospect like Davon Jefferson or Bill Walker, or take a player that drops for stupid reasons like Roy Hibbert or Robin Lopez.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#45 » by armageddon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am

Plaisted is a BYU player, and DA has worked him out already.

JJ Hickson is interesting. Still only 19 and will be a much better player than where he will be drafted.

It will be mildly interesting who drops to 60 - Walker?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,245

Post#46 » by BadWolf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am

I'd love Walker on Celtics. The downside is that we have 3 troublesome knees at backup wings. But still most athletic and dunk-ready duo?
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy

Post#47 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

I like Kyle Weaver with the 30th pick if he's available. House and Cassell are probably gone, so Weaver would fill the backup PG void if either Pruitt isn't ready or the C's decide Pruitt is more of a 2 (I think he's a 2). They can't really go wrong, though.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#48 » by Dogen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

There will be nice player available for us at 30.

Walker- My first choice but concerned about the knees. Detroit has a guarantee at 29?

Chalmers- Could be the compliment to the Rondo/Pruitt backcourt of the future. Decent handle, shot, defense. Good leader. Long, little undersized overall but strong.

Ibaka- Somebody will snap this guy up. 6-10 guys with this type of athleticism don't grow on trees. Seattle takes this type foreign guy about every year but thus far none have been that exceptional. Probably a few years away from contributing.

Dragic- Maybe he's the latest Youtube wonder, yet won't able to stay in front of real NBA talent when it counts. This year's Rodriguez? Danny doesn't seem to be enamored with Euros, so probably a pass.

Thompson- Very intriguing. Good size, attitude. Could be a contributor and a great pick at 30. Draft Express gives his best case as Mark Blount (!). I think he could be a fine backup C for us, with more offense than Perk brings.

Hardin- Another guy hard to pass on. Tall, strong, athletic--- what is it with this draft? Guys like Hardin and Dorsey in the 2nd round.

Forbes- The dark horse candidate. Local college player. Offense is ready. Good size, handle, experience. Could be a backup for Pierce and Allen.

Those are some ideas. We've got choices available at PG, C, and Wing. Probably no star player there, but definite talent. Some are ready to play, others, like Ibaka, might be groomed to replace our starters eventually.
Hey you! Can we come together?
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#49 » by DorfonCeltics » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

hiphop1 wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.

I wouldnt mind Dorsey, but my pick if he is available at thirty is Jason Thompson. He can play PF or C and is a great shot blocker. Also has a shot out to 15-17 feet, good post moves as well. He did play in a sub par conference(MAAC) but he has skill you can see it when he plays. If Cliff Ray gets ahold of this kid watch out. He reminds me of a poor man's KG.

Thompson is my guy as well but my close second is Bill Walker. I read sometime earlier this week that the Pistons have promised him a spot at 29 if he's there. He seems like Dumars' type of guy but he also seems a little redundant with Stucky there. I'd be happy with either of those guys.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#50 » by buckner1976 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:50 pm

yeah the more i watch and think about it the more i like thompson. theres some decent footage of him at rider on youtube thats worth a look.

here's a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvUP00Z8 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiIGU4h ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl164Jp8 ... re=related

good frame that he can add some more muscle to. very quick and athletic. can hit the j. actually compares his game to kg which i can see a little bit. in one video hes playing a scrub but you can still sttill him show off his superb shooting form and his athleticism.

another name i havent seen mentioned that i also think is worth mentioning if we found a way to get an eary 2nd rnd pick: jr giddens

he had some attitude issues but he seems to have matured and remade himself his senior year at new mexico. an excellent athlete with long arms. projects as a good defender and rebounder at his position. decent shooter as well and has shown some playmaking skills as well. would love to get him and let him learn under ray, paul and james posey.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by billfromBoston » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:56 pm

SprtsAdam wrote:What do you guys think of trading #30 to either Minnesota for #31 (first pick of Round 2) and #34, or to Portland for #33 and #36?

This way we can get two players, right around the same talent level as #30, and not have to pay them as much as a first round pick.

Just for reference, we got Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis early in the second round, while Morris Almond, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Tiago Splitter, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen were the last few picks of last years first round.

Just something to consider.

...this is the scenario most appealing to me, other than potentially moving up a few spots for a targeted player...wouldn't be surprised to see this go down personally...
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by billfromBoston » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:48 pm

sully00 wrote:I don't want to speak for LTF but for myself the theory behind dealing Leon Powe is that he just had that monster game in the finals and if you know that his role is never going to expand over what it is right now, essentially limited to the mins behind KG and situation at that, then you simply see what is out there for him. I keep looking at ORL who has a ton of length and no toughness outside of Howard as a place were Leon could start and even be star.

It wouldn't be about trying to get rid of him but trying to get value for him when it is at his highest. I mean if an ORL or WASH called and said they would swap picks with you for Leon would you do it?

College basketball is very difficult game to evaluate big men in I think that Hardin's play had a lot to do with Anderson's production. It is what makes me reluctant to be so down on Hibbert as well but I still am.

...damn you're persistent Sully... :noway:

Powe just consistently played 20+ minutes a game over the last 6 weeks of the regular season with a fully healthy roster...KG is only going to play less minutes as time goes on-there will be about 15-18 minutes available just as a backup at PF with KG not playing any center-which he will continue to do for 7-10 a game...JUST like this year...

The idea that there are "limited" minutes for Powe is just not true...no, he won't get 30+ per game, but he sure as hell can play 20-25 and get great production...he averaged 15/10 in 25+ minute a game action this season...you don't trade that type of per-minute production...you lock it up long-term...

Glen Davis is the one who is going to be gone--get into it, its happening...I know it, many more people on the board know it, and most importantly, the CELTICS organization knows it.... :nod:
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,110

Post#53 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:55 pm

^Why would we trade any of them?
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#54 » by theman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:27 pm

The problem with trading Pose is What can you get for him? Unfortunately not much. By NBA standards he makes nothing. Yes, you could packagte him with #30 and move to the low twentys? But is that worth giving up Powe?

Danny at 30 will get a top 20 pick. Of course with a low twenty pick he'd get a guy worthy of the mid-teens. But isn't Powe alone worth that?

I'd love to see Donte Green fall to us but don't see that happening.

I don't think Danny goes big unless Hibbert is there (but I am often wrong when it comes to Danny's drafting). I think he goes with an older more proven/less upside player. Chalmbers/Rush/Walker or Weaver.

Jamont Gordon is one more name I will add.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,413

Post#55 » by Gant » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 pm

The Celtics often get the guy they're eventually going to pick in for multiple workouts. So it will be interesting if we hear of any of these guys coming in again this week. I know Hardin (stayed with his pal Leon) and Forbes were in early if that means anything.
wickerhd
Bench Warmer
And1: 139

Post#56 » by wickerhd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 pm

anmd yet, this site metions Martin Zeno as the only guy they have confirmed in a workoutt with the Celtics
****dave
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#57 » by Dogen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm

billfromBoston wrote:
SprtsAdam wrote:What do you guys think of trading #30 to either Minnesota for #31 (first pick of Round 2) and #34, or to Portland for #33 and #36?

This way we can get two players, right around the same talent level as #30, and not have to pay them as much as a first round pick.

Just for reference, we got Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis early in the second round, while Morris Almond, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Tiago Splitter, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen were the last few picks of last years first round.

Just something to consider.

...this is the scenario most appealing to me, other than potentially moving up a few spots for a targeted player...wouldn't be surprised to see this go down personally...

The only reason for MIN or POR to do this is because both teams already have too many players on the roster. But why 2 for 1 just to move up a couple of slots? Is cash involved? Future considerations? Maybe they'd rather lock up a guy in a guaranteed contract in the first round.

The scenario is appealing to me, too, I just don't get what the other teams gets out of it.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,814

Post#58 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Bill,

If we stipulate that Powe hasn't picked up the defensive schemes yet with any consistency, what makes you confident he will?

If he doesn't, he might be more valuable on a team with simpler defensive schemes than ours.

If he does, he's a keeper for all the reasons you say.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
freakon0mics
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#59 » by freakon0mics » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:09 pm

If Bill Walker is still available, he should get picked. Injuries are a concern for many of these players but Bill came back strong after one and had a somewhat good season. He has already shown that he can play second fiddle and not trying to become a star, which can help him out here when he is playing with 3 future hall of famers.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#60 » by hiphop1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:46 pm

James Gist would be a great pick at 60. He reminds me of a young Posey.
Free your mind and your a** will follow

Return to Boston Celtics