ImageImageImage

Tony Kornheiser shouldnt be allowed to talk about basketball

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Tony Kornheiser shouldnt be allowed to talk about basketball 

Post#1 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 pm

He pissed me off before the finals saying Lakers in 5 now when Wilbon asked if the Cs could be a dynasty he said theres no chance we even make it back to the finals next year. Thats right NO CHANCE! He says we are old and could lose to Orlando, Cleveland, Chicago, or Toronto. This guy has proven time and time again that he has no clue on basketball. Will we be a Dynasty? I dont think so but I still think we have a great chance at not only making the finals but winning it again next season.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Re: Tony Kornheiser shouldnt be allowed to talk about basketball 

Post#2 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 pm

LOL @ this Chicago and Toronto stuff again. Chicago, if they pick Beasley, will have the scorer they desperately need but they aren't going to beat us in his rookie year.

Cleveland and Orlando I can see beating us, too bad for them and the rest of the league Rondo will be in his 3rd year next year.

Toronto? pshhhhhh, they literally have to shoot 60% to beat us.
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#3 » by C-West » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:59 pm

He probably shouldn't talk about football either.
dwestside
Rookie

Post#4 » by dwestside » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am

I like Tony Kornheiser a lot, but I obviously can't defend him now. It pissed me off too. You'd think after him picking the Lakers in 5 he'd try and redeem himself by putting some thought into his position. He doesn't. Tony just loves to talk (because he's great at it). Sometimes he forgoes the thought process ... and quite frankly doesn't care when he's wrong, so he doesn't mind going out on a limb. He'll be the first to admit he sucks at Monday Night Football.

Give Wilbon a bit of credit here ... I know everybody likes to get on him about the racism thing, but he did mention that Tony picked the Lakers in 5 after he said they had NO CHANCE getting to the finals next year.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 am

bove310 wrote:Toronto? pshhhhhh, they literally have to shoot 60% to beat us.

72% to be exact. That got them a nice little two point victory. Or was it one point?
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,839

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:06 am

dwestside wrote:I like Tony Kornheiser a lot, but I obviously can't defend him now. It pissed me off too. You'd think after him picking the Lakers in 5 he'd try and redeem himself by putting some thought into his position. He doesn't. Tony just loves to talk (because he's great at it). Sometimes he forgoes the thought process ... and quite frankly doesn't care when he's wrong, so he doesn't mind going out on a limb. He'll be the first to admit he sucks at Monday Night Football.

Give Wilbon a bit of credit here ... I know everybody likes to get on him about the racism thing, but he did mention that Tony picked the Lakers in 5 after he said they had NO CHANCE getting to the finals next year.

explain what happened, i didnt hear it
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#7 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 am

Why are we leaving Wilbon out of the conversation. I know more about the game than he does. He looks like a doughboy.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#8 » by canman1971 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm not sure why anyone is ever surprised at moronic comments by these sports personalities. These guys no probably less than 75% of this board, and I am being conservative. I mean look at them? They are old men who love to hear themselves talk. They are journalists created to look like they are "experts" when in the end, they are just the sports version of the Spice Girls. Everyone would be much better off if they just ignored them. That is why I cannot stand shows like PTI, Around the Horn, and Rome is Burning. Why dumb your life down? I get better entertainment/info/analysis from a damn message board for crying out loud. Do yourself a favor, when those idiotic shows are on, turn the boob tube off and turn on RealGM or go out and get some fresh air, or just stare at wall for a half hour, you'll be better off.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#9 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:09 pm

bruno sundov wrote:Why are we leaving Wilbon out of the conversation. I know more about the game than he does. He looks like a doughboy.

Ya Wilbon sucks to, I have no clue how he was on the finals crew
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy

Post#10 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Kornheiser knows nothing about football, either. He sucks as a Monday Night announcer, and now he shows he knows nothing about basketball. Now, the Celtics will certainly have some hurdles to overcome, but to summarily dismiss the Celtics for next season is rather ignorant. Oh well, nobody thought the Patriots had a chance to repeat a few years ago...
Pass277
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Pass277 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Wow, he should hang out with Skip Clueless. The C's are just going to get better. They went to a new level in the playoffs and we wont have trouble in the first 2 rounds again!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#12 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:43 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:Why are we leaving Wilbon out of the conversation. I know more about the game than he does. He looks like a doughboy.

Ya Wilbon sucks to, I have no clue how he was on the finals crew

I loved the PTI show until Wilbon said Boston was a racist city. Tony K. did nothing to disagree with it. They are entertaining. I think wilbon was on finals team because he is the biggest start they got. who is more popular than the PTI guys from ESPN? I would say no one.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#13 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Don't diss Jim Rome, he's awesome/hilarious.

I'm out.
TreyAllen34
Junior
And1: 11

Post#14 » by TreyAllen34 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Kornheiser is like Skip Bayless they just talk nonsense to make themselves "shocking" if we've learned anything from these finals its that who gives a **** what these "experts" think?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#15 » by 15th overall » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:08 pm

Him and wilbon play devil's advocate half the time anyway. I wouldnt waste any time sweating this
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#16 » by GuyClinch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Sports Journalism is interesting. Only a very few of them actually played or coached basketball at any level. Most of them can't even play pickup ball.. But yet they are thought of as "experts."

The most insightful experts were of course Jon Barry (who I have almost forgiven for shunning the Celtics) and Jeff Van Gundy.. I don't think you see this as much in other fields. Political experts are guys working on the campaigns. Science experts who have science degrees. Medical experts have medical degrees. But in sports we get Tony K.

Pete
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#17 » by greenbeans » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Ghost of the Garden wrote:Don't diss Jim Rome, he's awesome/hilarious.

I'm out.

:crazy: he is, by far, the WORST guy on ESPN imo
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by U2larkin04 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:30 pm

Tony Korn-hole shouldn't be allowed to talk... period
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 661

Post#19 » by DelMonte West » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:35 am

greenbeans wrote:
Ghost of the Garden wrote:Don't diss Jim Rome, he's awesome/hilarious.

I'm out.

:crazy: he is, by far, the WORST guy on ESPN imo

SAS begs to differ, but the gap is razor-thin.

As for Tony (and Wilbon), I love their chemistry and the two genuinely seem to enjoy each other's company, despite the point-counterpoint layout of the show. I thought it was a little out of character for Wilbon to make such a sweeping statement regarding Boston last year, but other than that I can't fault the guy. He's not afraid to call out some of the more popular athletes and doesn't kiss their butts to the degree of others on the network.

Tony's comment was ignorant, but I can't stay mad at anyone that dresses like a swammi for the Fortune Tellers segment.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#20 » by Collinto » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:48 am

He probably figures if he keeps saying it, he will eventually be right...

Return to Boston Celtics