ImageImageImage

If he is bought out?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Re: If he is bought out? 

Post#21 » by MoBSTa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:51 am

Starbury is a crackhead, while I would rather give a player in the D-League a shot.

Starbury isn't gonna play 2nd fiddle here with Rondo or no one else.
Only seconds that starbury will take is the seconds off of a crack pipe.
I would much rather have a rookie, or a young player to grow with the vets we have. . .
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#22 » by Spin Move » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:02 am

I think we could do alot worse at backup PG, we need instant offense of the bench and if we sign him for the vet minimum and things dont work out we just cut him. KG Pierce and Allen could keep him in check especially KG who as said before he has a prior relationship with. I would take a flier on him, He may want to rehabilitate his image, Ray is not getting any younger and if one of the big 3 got hurt he could fill there role for a month or so, especially rays Marbury has talent, and doc is just the type of coach he needs(wow I can't belive i just said that ...pukes in mouth)
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#23 » by Spin Move » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:09 am

MoBSTa wrote:Starbury is a crackhead, while I would rather give a player in the D-League a shot.

Starbury isn't gonna play 2nd fiddle here with Rondo or no one else.
Only seconds that starbury will take is the seconds off of a crack pipe.
I would much rather have a rookie, or a young player to grow with the vets we have. . .

I dont think we use him as a pure PG i think we use him as a combo guard he is the same size as ray basically and a little faster, we can give him 30 mpg between the 1 and 2 spots (18 at PG 12 at SG) and use him like the mircowave was used. He has the ability to be a good defender and we are the perfect team to get him in line, we say listen, Steph 6th man of the year is going to look afully good for a guy they said was not a team player, I think he would be ok with that role on a team that was contending, not on a team that wont make the playoffs theres a difference when there are rings involved.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#24 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:20 am

That is what I am talking about. I am not pretending this guy is anything except what he is. I don't want him to be a PG, I want him to come in the second and start of the 4th quarter and dominate the damb ball and score so I can sit my big dogs down. On the nights that Rondo doesn't have it or Steph is going off then you let it ride.

The biggest problem with the guy is that everyone wants to stop him from being Iverson, and rightly so, I am saying for 20 mins a night let it ride.

I understand he may not have any interest in this and still think that he is the man and all that but if he was going to take a shot at it this is now the place you do it.

If friggin Glen Robinson can do it, and frankly he may be the worst guy ever, I could see Steph doing it before he begins his Eurobasket career.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#25 » by campybatman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:31 am

Pruitt likely will see more time next season. So, I feel Ainge will look at a cheaper alternative as a point guard reserve to replace Cassell. Besides, I can't see New York buying out $21.9M just like that. Marbury''s in his last year. That sounds like trade bait to me.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#26 » by rambo_ortega » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 am

marbs would love to get a chance to win a ring with kg. they played nice together before and he can still produce. his scoring off the bench will be a big plus.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#27 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 am

Will he be bought out though? any link to this rumor.

Oh, and no. No thanks. He is a younger version of cassell. Now, if he still has got it, then I will gladly take back that statement. I like marbury, and I liked his cousin, I just don't see either one fitting here.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#28 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:10 am

Marbury is still a talented player so yeah he still has whatever he has had and how you may feel about that.

His contract is too big to use in a trade. Expiring or not you can't have one guy making that much cash and stay under the lux tax. He is already with the Knicks, and the Blazers are still paying Raef and Steve Francis, on top or that it looks like the biggest mountain contract has already moved in J.O.

There just comes a point were you have to just let it go. If they are going to go PG in the draft to go with the two other pgs they have drafted in the last few years why do they want him around especially since his new coach hated him when he was a better player.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#29 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 am

My god no. Gabe Pruitt would play better defense. Also, Stephon Marbury would literally tear apart Ubuntu. Save the LLE or MLE for a hungry veteran willing to sacrifice money for a ring. Marbury can go retire and play in Italy.
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#30 » by SuigintouEV » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 am

First of all, if Steph comes to this team for the vet minimum (pretty much unlikely as hell), it means he's willing to accept being a role player on a winning team.

Let's consider:

He shot 37.8% from 3 last year, on a team not even a quarter as good as this one. Put him on this team and he's in 40% territory.
He's not a terrible passer. He was a bit ball dominant in his prime, but you don't see iverson putting up 9apg. If nothing else he can drive and dish, which is all you can ask for from a 4th or 5th option outside of being a great spot up shooter.
He's actually a pretty good defender when he defends. That's not to say he has a track record of lock down D, but hey, this team got Eddie House and Ray Allen getting the results of guys like Gary Payton and Scottie Pippen =P I do think there's a problem with him physically that might limit him, though. He's been really injury prone lately.
He can handle like a PG, bring the ball up the court. Something cassell was supposed to do but looked too old to do. Something house can't do, at all.
He's big, he can play backup 2, instead of Tony Allen. Come on, Tony Allen or Steph?

Basically, if Sam Cassell could shoot 3s, be still only ~30yo, and defend you wouldn't hate him, despite "ubuntu killing".

And let's not forget, steph put up a TS% of .575, in his last truly healthy season on a team with decent spacing. If he could even close replicate that, you've basically got #1 offensive lineup in the league, by far, as pierce is at 60%. Ray/KG at 58. Rondo was at 51.5% and House was at 51.9%. And of course he's probably a better defender than House too.

And at the vets min, I just don't see it as a gamble if he wants to do it.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,878

Post#31 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:43 am

I wouldn't be against it. KG would probably keep him in line and KG is the only reason I wouldn't flip **** if this were to happen. Marbury is **** crazy though...
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,092

Post#32 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:49 am

There is a God, and He will not allow this to happen to the Celtics.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by billfromBoston » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:17 am

...don't underestimate KG's strong relationship with Marbury...Steph has the size to play the 1 and the 2, so if TA and House leave, he could get 15 minutes at the point and another 15 minutes at SG...the team doesn't WANT its starters playing 35-40mpg during the regular season, or the post season if it can be avoided...

I am not a fan of Steph, but Sully is right, he's not a "bad" guy, just not a guy that ever could lead a team effectively...as a scoring option off the bench who's job it is to put up points and playmake a bit-I think KG could get him to buy into it...the massive decrease in salary and his diminished reputation should also make him much easier to deal with...Marbury is going to know, once the market presents itself, that this is the end of the line...

...potential high-impact move...
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#34 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:36 am

^^^Cassell had a bunch of positive statistics in his name too before he came. I know because I posted them. :( The problem is the same with Cassell.. Marbury gets those guady stats via ball domination. Our offense is not designed for that.

Pete
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#35 » by MoBSTa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 am

Well, somehow I feel I would rather look at grabbing a guy like Gary Payton or even a Jason williams. Or I would even try to get a kid like bynum that was in the D-League first.

It certainly, doesn't make any sence to take all these great veterans & Coaches and blow the leadership time they have left on other vets that have already proven to be unworthy of being a leader.

At somepoint, we have to try and start looking towards the future and rebuilding within while winning. If you get young players with heart, talent and willing to learn you can manage to make young good players into great players with the veterans that we have.

There are are good players and there are great players and then my friend you have Champions.
Our Coaches, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce are Champions. Young players will look up to them. They can make young good players into a champions champion.

I ask the Celtic's staff not to blow a roster spot on an unproven leader that has managed to tear a team apart. For the most part the family is still in boston that was here with Redd and Bill Russell.

The pride is back in Boston and please take your time in giving away any roster spots.
Please don't give away a roster position unto someone that is unworthy of the sacrifice it takes to be a leader. After all everyone should be worthy of wearing that Green Boston Celtics Jersey.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#36 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Green Menace wrote:he´d be the same as Cassalien only younger and worse locker room guy

If Cassell is a locker-room cancer (which he isn't, just using the example, humor me) then Marbury is a locker-room Ebola virus coupled with AIDS and smallpox, dysentery, cholera, and malaria. NO THANKS!

Return to Boston Celtics