ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jt142
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons 

Post#141 » by jt142 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Yi had a good first half of the season mostly due to the fact that teams had never seen him play before and didn't know how to defend him. Since NBA scouts had only seen him play against inferior competition in the CBA (an extremely weak league), it was hard to gauge his strengths and skill level. At the beginning of the season, Yi was overlooked and ignored by his opponents, which allowed him to get open shots. However, once teams figured out that Yi couldn't create his own shot off the dribble and lacked the strength to bang down low, he became a spot up shooter who.....well....couldn't shoot. Teams were also giving him less room to shoot and it worked. Of course, nobody should give up on a 7' with decent athleticism, but the huge drop in his production after the All-Star break raises a lot of questions concerning his overall ability. If Yi can gain strength and improve his ball-handling skills, he could certainly become a 12 and 8 player. I don't see much more upside than that. He also has a good turn around J on the low post, which he should improve upon. I certainly wouldn't compare him to Nowitzki. Vanderweigh is very good at developing players, so maybe this is a better situation for Yi.

If Jefferson can improve his shooting to go along with his incredible athleticism, look out! I still see a lot of upside to his game at the age of 28. However, he's not an All-Star and would probably play better as a side-kick to a superstar. I don't think Redd is that much better than Jefferson, so I don't see the Bucks improving much after this trade.

This trade is more about Jersey getting ready for 2010 than anything. I think it's an even trade in terms of talent.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#142 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Surely you jest. If you think Carter was sulking last year, wait until he has to play on a 35 win team with a bunch of kids.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#143 » by Serpo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 pm

I think it's a strange trade for Millwaukee . Yes RJ is better then Simmons and Yi didn't want to be in Millwaukee at all but where are they going now ?

What are they doing now ? They can't contend for a championship with that team . Who's their No.1 player ? I don't see one.
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#144 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 pm

ummm nets just got a bunch of cap space for 2010...Lebron? Brooklyn? uh oh cavs AHAHAHAHAHa
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#145 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Serpo wrote:I think it's a strange trade for Millwaukee . Yes RJ is better then Simmons and Yi didn't want to be in Millwaukee at all but where are they going now ?

What are they doing now ? They can't contend for a championship with that team . Who's their No.1 player ? I don't see one.

They better run things through Bogut and let him go from there or their pick of him at the top of the draft was a major screwup. With Jefferson on board do they opt for a pg at 8? one would think they dont need a Joe Alexander.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#146 » by Birth of the Cool » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Surely you jest. If you think Carter was sulking last year, wait until he has to play on a 35 win team with a bunch of kids.

Carter was sulking last year ? Guess you don't watch the Nets since he was actually the most professional of the bunch and was applauded by beat writers, fans, management and the coach for the way he handled their rough season.

Anyways,
I actually like RJ when he is allowed to be the 3rd option on a team. He can be a great all around player but the Nets so called "motion offense" was not working partly because it relied too much on RJ. The Nets offense instantly got much better when Devin & VC were allowed to be the decision makers on offense. It's definitely a improvement for the Bucks but they still need to get rid of some players to allow an underrated player like Bogut to shine imo.

Obviously this trade was made to allow the Nets Mgmt flexibility in the near future. I personally like to follow players on one team so I would have preferred RJ not to be dealt unless it was a total win now situation (and why I don't want to see VC traded again even if this Nets team might struggle next year). I was pretty high on Yi early last season since he made some noise in summer and looked good out of the gates but he disappeared pretty quickly so I really don't know what the Nets will get from his this year. It might be because of the Bucks roster and Yi may benefit for passing stars like Devin & VC.

The only thing I don't like is for the most part RJ was a loyal Nets player and he gets traded to the Bucks which probably wasn't on his "dream list" (no offense meant Bucks fans) while Kidd who was a malcontent his last few years with the Nets was able to "bully" his way to the team he wanted in Dallas (at least that's how I see it). Kinda sucks.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#147 » by Serpo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:27 pm

I really don't think RJ's going to have fun in Millwaukee especially under Scott Skiles . Don't think this is going to mesh very well in Millwaukee .
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#148 » by Alex_De_Large » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Now i would love the Rockets to trade for VC, they don't even need him in this rebuilding mode.
Nashty
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#149 » by Nashty » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 am

Great trade by the nets. Jefferson is overrated, while Yi is going to be a star. No idea what the bucks were thinking.
manun
Lead Assistant
And1: 57

Post#150 » by manun » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 am

not bad for both teams.

Milwauke gets better but like i said, the back court problems wasnt because they missed a player it was because they had 2 too many. Now with jefferson that isnt exactly the best mix. But they got a new coach so we will just have to see what will happen.

Nets gets alot of renevue and also a young team that could look down rite nasty.

Boon (he will probably be 10/10 guy) / williams/ Diop
Yi / Williams
pick / hassel
Vince (or traded)/ hassel
Devin Harris /
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#151 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 am

Nashty wrote:Great trade by the nets. Jefferson is overrated, while Yi is going to be a star. No idea what the bucks were thinking.

They were thinking, "Lets trade a good prospect and bobby frickin simmons for a 28 year old SF in the prime of his carreer averaging nearly 23ppg on 46% shooting."
Serpo
Veteran

Post#152 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 am

When you look at the stats you think what where the Nets thinking ? When you actually watched the Nets and RJ you understand why they did it .
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#153 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:32 am

Eh I live in Jersey and watch the Nets a lot. Always thought RJ was a little overrated and I do think that team needed to be blown up. However, they probably could have got more for RJ talent wise.

Then again, from a bussiness perspective, this is a great trade for the Nets. Yi and the huge over seas market he brings is what made this trade worth it for them.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#154 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:35 am

I doubt they could have done better from a buiness perspective . Maybe they could have done slightly better talentwise but still a solid move.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,878

Post#155 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:04 am

Alright the Bucks just sealed the deal. I don't like anything they did today.

Richard Jefferson, Joe Alexander, and Mabah A Moute? What exactly is that going to add to what they already have?
Serpo
Veteran

Post#156 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:19 am

http://www.nba.com/nets/tickets/splash.html

Cash Cow Milking has already been started Brad Yormark just couldn't wait to begin it :D
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 96

Post#157 » by Jaykoolzboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 am

I think it's quiet descent trade for both team.

Bucks got

1. Veteran that can play and give you 20ppg 5rbp, and couple assists.
2. Get rid of Bobby Simmons pathetic contract.
3. Could contend again for the playoffs spot in the east.

NJN got

1. Super marketing tool that could save their franchise and jersey sells (only Yao, Lebron, Kobe, Wade and guys like CP is more marketable than Yi)
2. Potiential 20-9 guy with great size and athleticism. Chinese guy playing in New York area? Need I say more?
3. Shorten the salary cap from 4 years (RJ's contract) to 2 years (B Simmons contract), they might have some big name 2 years later.

Descent trade for both team IMO, but I like it better for the Nets because the clear direction they are going now (get younger,rebuild and hopefully some big name will come)

Very nice deal for both team after all.
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#158 » by shawngoat23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

Nice trade for the Nets. They got rid of a good SF, but one that wasn't going to take them anywhere, and got a young talent in return. They'll be able to go into full rebuilding mode. And oh yeah, he'll generate tons of revenue.

The Bucks got a talented SF, but I don't see them competing even with Jefferson. Not sure if they're planning to follow up on this trade, but I don't think this was a good move (in the long-term).
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#159 » by Alex_De_Large » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm

ouch... i thought bobby simmons was an expiring, so both teams would win.
but having simmons for 2 or 3 more years, it's a real bad deal for the nets.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#160 » by Buck You » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Nashty wrote:Great trade by the nets. Jefferson is overrated, while Yi is going to be a star. No idea what the bucks were thinking.

What did Yi do last year to show that he was going to be a star? I think he'll be a good player, a Joe Smith type, but he didn't show anything last year that he was going to be a star. He has a long, long way to go.

Return to The General Board