ImageImageImage

Celtics dont make Tony Allen a QO

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Celtics dont make Tony Allen a QO 

Post#1 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:09 pm

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... ing_offer/

Looks like Tony might be gone, who will ever forget the awsome season he had before his injury in 06/07. If this is the end Im happy he ended it with that reverse dunk :hoop: and a championship ring.

Thank you Tony :usa:
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Re: Celtics dont make Tony Allen a QO 

Post#2 » by Dogen » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:16 pm

I'll miss his energy if he's gone. This might be a good move for him if the right team picks him up. Good luck TA!
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,149

Post#3 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:34 pm

I have been saying this all along. This move is expected. I believe the Celtics would take him back with an Eddie House type deal. A one year minimum contract. The Celtics can give him more next season if he deserves it because their MLE won't be tied up. Tony Allen is going to have some tough choices over the next few months.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#4 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:42 pm

:hug:

one more down. That leaves perk as the only young guy from the pre championship days. :( But then again, a championship is really nice.

You have been better then great TA. Good luck in your adventures in the NBA.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#5 » by canman1971 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm indifferent about Tony. He has had his ups and downs, no doubt about it. But, I don't see this as any big loss. He has been hurt more than not, so who knows. He needs to go to a team that will give him playing time. He won't get that here.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#6 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:58 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote::hug:

one more down. That leaves perk as the only young guy from the pre championship days. :( But then again, a championship is really nice.

We have Rondo to and the good thing is I dont think Perk or Rondo will be going anywhere for awhile.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
armageddon
Rookie

Post#7 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:15 pm

There's a strong chance he's resigned at a lower salary or used in a sign and trade.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#8 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:19 pm

armageddon wrote:There's a strong chance he's resigned at a lower salary or used in a sign and trade.

A sign and trade does not apply because the Celtics have no rights to Tony Allen. He is an unrestricted free agent. They did not offer him a qualifying offer so they lose all rights.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#9 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:24 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:

We have Rondo to and the good thing is I dont think Perk or Rondo will be going anywhere for awhile.

I knew I forgot someone....

Any suitors on TA yet?
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#10 » by Datruth345 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:38 pm

i'm a Tony Allen fan, but it is an expected move after the draft, and probably in the clubs best intrests as J.R Giddens can give them everything Tony did, possibly more if he reaches his potential

it's a shame what the two knee injuries took from him, i wish him the best
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#11 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:56 pm

I know what you mean, it's kinda like I don't know who the Celtics are anymore. Rondo and Powe just showed up last year, so they are still new in my mind. The only guys under contract who have been Celtics for more than 2 years, are now Perk, Scal, and Pierce....and that's it! The rest of the team is completely new. Now if you hated all of the other players we had and thought they were boneheads destined for failure, you probably like this fact, but I really liked some of the players we had. The decision with Tony is a much worse in my mind than replacing Al with KG or Delonte with Ray in that Giddens isn't obviously better than Tony. We aren't getting an upgrade if we go with Giddens, at best we are getting is a cheaper player.

What players do we have with true loyalty to the organization? It looks like we are already going to have a huge turnover rate and probably change a third of our roster this offseason. I wonder will we change another third next year?
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#12 » by Truthiracy » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:08 pm

I was a Tony Allen fan, until he never learned how to dribble a basketball without turning it over. Plus I like the fact another young guy is gone. Good riddance to the 2004 draft 8-)
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#13 » by celtics543 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:27 pm

I think TA might be back. The QO is probably more money than he's going to get on the open market. A lot of teams aren't under the cap, and can't afford to give him more than just the minimum or a part of the mid level exception. I know we have Giddens and Walker, but neither of them are proven, while Tony has shown that he can be at worst a 10th man on a championship team.

I think that we will at least offer him a contract for next year and see what he wants to do. Also if Posey signs somewhere else, then I think they make a bigger play for Tony. I don't want to go into the season with Pierce and Ray as the starters and only have two rookies as their backups. I think it's very important to resign TA if we don't bring back Posey.

Right now our team is

Rondo/Pruitt
Ray/Giddens
Pierce/Scal/Walker
KG/Powe/Baby/Scal
Perkins/Powe

That team needs a backup center, a proven backup swingman, and a veteran point guard. I think adding TA would be very enticing as a backup for Ray and Pierce, while also giving Giddens some time. Obviously the #1 priority is resigning Posey, as he is the ideal, but if we get outpriced for Posey, than I believe TA will be back.

All that said, if he's not, then thanks TA. You were part of one of the best drafts Danny had and played some great games for the C's. You were one of the guys that I was most happy for because you were here for all the losing the past few years and now you're an NBA champ.
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#14 » by captain_cheapseats » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:13 pm

celtics543 wrote:I think TA might be back. The QO is probably more money than he's going to get on the open market. A lot of teams aren't under the cap, and can't afford to give him more than just the minimum or a part of the mid level exception. I know we have Giddens and Walker, but neither of them are proven, while Tony has shown that he can be at worst a 10th man on a championship team.

I really want this to be true, but I'm not so sure it will be. I'd think TA might take an offer from a team where he will have a better shot at getting playing time; one reason that he was able to come all the way back from that first injury was that he kept getting PT because there was no one else. He'll need a lot of minutes again to try and recover from the second injury, and with RA and PP he's not going to get them here. And there are some very good teams that really need an SG, like the Hornets and Cavs for example, so we really can't even say that he has to choose between Boston and a sh*tty team.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:31 pm

I liked Tony for his rookie years pre-injury as a defender and clean up man.

I liked Tony for those 2 months he played well.

Other then those I remeber the other Tony and don't think we have any room for him on our roster right now.

Hopefully he can find another team to give him more then the vet min.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#16 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:34 pm

If TA signs elsewhere I'll definitely miss him. I think he was finally 100% healthy when he played in the finals. He made a strong spin move on the baseline against Kobe and took it strong too the hoop and of course that alley oop. That was the Tony we all know and love. He's not the smartest guy in the world and he doesn't have the best jumper or the best handle but dammit the kid is a Celtic. When he's hurt or benched he doesn't pout, he jumps up and down on the sideline waving a towel with a big grin on his face. That's the kid of guy you want on your team. He's done everything that's asked of him on this team since he was drafted and unfortunately had had to deal with two heartbreaking injuries.

I really hope that he comes back. There's plenty of room for Pierce, Ray, Walker, Giddens and Tony on the roster. Guys that defend like Tony are always going to have a place in this league whether his offensive game ever takes off or not. If he can stay healthy I really think Tony is capable of being a starter on a playoff team and more importantly a 6th or 7th man on a championship team. This kid has major talent and if the worst is already behind him at 26 years old he's got plenty of time to get everything right offensively.

Remember, he's spent more time rehabbing freak knee injuries the past three seasons than working on his game. If his knees hold up there's no doubt in my mind he will be able to add a respectable jumper to his game. The issue has never been talent, attitude or work ethic with him, it's always been confidence. The confidence issue is all tied to being able to trust his knee. Once he does you don't see him make nearly as many boneheaded plays or unforced turnovers. He just plays the game and that's when he;s at his best.

I really feel that we held Tony back in the playoffs BECAUSE we wanted to make sure his knee was fully healed. I don't think he fell out of grace with the organization. I can only help that's true and DA believes in him as much as I and a few other do on this board. He's back, folks. Tony Allen is healthy again and I think he's going to be a major contributor next season. Whether it be in Celtic green or not.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#17 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:43 pm

I really can't see there being much of a market for Tony. He's strictly a 2 guard who can penetrate and defend. He's not a 3 point shooter, he's absolutely not an "intellegent vet", he's still coming off an injury. He's not going to start for anyone until he wins a job. He makes too many bonehead plays to be a reliable guy off the bench. Until he proves different, he's just another 6-4 journeyman, a minimum salary guy.
He may get lucky and find one team who loves his potential, but he's been in the league 4 years now, is 26, and comes with the old shooting baggage. You can excuse his situation from the injuries but he still plays like a rookie.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#18 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:58 pm

This is not surprising. I like TA - he is undervalued around here. But they clearly lost faith in him down the stretch and clearly we drafted replacements.

Pete
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#19 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:11 pm

Let's be honest, Tony Allen has been given a million chances in his four years in Boston. Tony Allen just never grabbed the bull by the horns. He still plays like a rookie more often then not. Gerald Green would do cartwheels for the number of chances Tony Allen has received. That being said I would definitely welcome him back at a one year minimum contract.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#20 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:08 pm

^^^ Tony has proven he can play in this league, IMHO. Let's not sell his accomplishments too far short since he is on his way out. GG is out of the league. I think that's a ridiculous comparisons. TA will be playing for someone..

Pete

Return to Boston Celtics