ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#81 » by Collinto » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:31 am

And it seems that San Antonio needs more than one guy to fill out that roster, no? Big guys, for instance, outside of TD, they currently have Oberto (5ppg/5rpg/20mpg), Matt Bonner (4.8 ppg/2.4rpg/12mpg) and Robert Horry (2.5ppg/2rpg/13mpg)...eeek.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,698

Post#82 » by return2glory » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:12 am

I don't see how Maggette can settle for about 6 million a year. He is a better player than that. He can easlity get $8-9 million a year.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#83 » by theFRANCHISE » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:55 am

Im from LA I watch more clippers games than laker games. Maggette isnt the greatest defender but he also isn a bad defender, he is just average. He gets to the free throw line alot! His problem in LA was that he wanted to start but dunleavy wanted him to come off the bench. This is why Im guessing he opted out. He's awsome offensively but alot of people in clips organization said his bball IQ wasnt that high. Celtics should just stick with posey, I hope he does resign tho.
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#84 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:28 am

return2glory wrote:I don't see how Maggette can settle for about 6 million a year. He is a better player than that. He can easlity get $8-9 million a year.

He is not going to get that kind of money in this market. Only three teams are below the cap and they are not interested in him. And the sign and trade option is dead after the Davis signing. He will probably sign a one year deal with an player option next season.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#85 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:59 am

The Celtics are not going to be allowed to just bring back the same team and roll to a championship this year. The Maggette offer shows that Danny is not complacent.

As much as I love Posey, there were times where our scoring outside the big 3 was stagnant. We often suffered against teams like Atlanta and especially Cleveland on the road. In fact, against Cleveland our bench almost cost us the series.

You can never count on replacing a Posey who may be a lesser talent than Maggette but who has proven he can step up and hit big shots when it counts.

When LA gets Bynum back and gets a few quality veterans (Posey and House types if you will) they will be a much tougher team to beat. Cleveland with one addition (like Redd) suddenly becomes scary and they have Wally's contract to dangle. A guy like Maggette makes us much more of a complete team with a true 6th man and also perhaps a bridge to the future for the next 2 seasons when we must consider trading Ray Allen and perhaps Pierce the next season as their contracts reach expiration.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#86 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:39 am

Maggette wanted 11 mill apparently from the Clips but was quoted in the story on the Globe as saying "he has been in the league a long time and has made a lot of money, now he just wants to win and is sick of losing".

I wont hold my breath but that is a pretty encouraging thing to hear. Particularly if some team offers Posey a lot of money.

The rumours section on Foxsports also said that Orlando only offered him the MLE.
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#87 » by Joselo16 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:42 am

I have always thought of Maggette as a poor man's Pierce (but not as durable). Maybe with a diminished role his durability issues won't be a factor, as for his defense he may be in a similar situation as Pierce was before this season where he wasn't playing top D because he was focusing his energy on offense. I could see a Donte' Stallworth situation where he signed with the Pats for low money and one year in order to increase his value (and a chance for a ring) and cash in the next season. I still would prefer Posey because his length would be definitely missed. He was beaten off the dribble many times by Bryant but he was still able to bother the shot do to his length. We cant become stagnant and keep the same team around, we have to cash in on the riches a championship brings (good players at cheap prices). Our bench couldn't hold leads which cost our starters rest which we need to really concentrate on if the team wishes to capitalize on the 4-5 year window of being a championship contender.
You have just been Perk'd!!!
DieselCeltic
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#88 » by DieselCeltic » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:43 am

Forget Maggette, sign Posey. They have to lock up Posey. Maggette is a helluva player but he's no damn Posey. Posey, much better clutch player - 2 rings - top 5 defensive player in the league. We really don't need a scorer - we have plenty of them, and who knows how these new drafted kids will play out.

Just get Posey.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#89 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:49 am

I understand the whole, we have to keep posey thing. But man, maggette is not a bad plan b.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#90 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:50 am

I imagine Corey will tell you he is a fine defender. It's hard to be a defensive stud when your relied upon as your teams scorer. Just ask PP.. BTW Kobe Bryant as NBA defensive first team is the biggest crock in history..

Pete
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#91 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:04 pm

This reminds me of when Danny visited Karl Malone on the first day of FA. Its cool to know that Danny is trying but I cant see Maggette signing for so little.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#92 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:13 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:This reminds me of when Danny visited Karl Malone on the first day of FA. Its cool to know that Danny is trying but I cant see Maggette signing for so little.

Why can't people understand, there are only 3 teams that can pay Corey more than the mid-level. None of those teams have shown any interest in signing him, tying Maggette's hands. And also, when he says this,
"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys."

"It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

Maybe, maybe not, but it is certainly possible.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#93 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:17 pm

Well he's certainly got the right attitude.
P2
Banned User

Post#94 » by P2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:29 pm

If the question is whether to take Posey or Maggette for the full MLE, I would take Maggette.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#95 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:35 pm

That's not the question. The question is:

Posey at 3 years with 20% raises

-OR-

Maggette at the full MLE for 5 years

I take door #2 personally
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#96 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:53 pm

I haven't seen enough of Magette to know how much of a drop-off from Posey he'd be. Does he play D? Is he a good shooter?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
jking
Junior
And1: 4

Post#97 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:59 pm

I still say he gets over the MLE from someone. Golden St now has money to throw around with Baron off the books (and doesn't look like they're getting Arenas either), so they could go after him with big dollars. And I read somewhere that if Philly(way under the cap) can't pry Josh Smith from Atl (restricted), then Corey is their next choice.
MoBSTa
Junior

Offers to Posey and Meggette 

Post#98 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:01 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ke_of.html

I, don't know what to make of this but I certainly hope Danny is keeping some options open, With Meggette I believe injury is alway's a concern and I don't see Meggette filling the roll of Posey on the defensive end.

Where Posey could play the 4 Cory Meggette can't do that. I also think he caused alot of friction in the Clippers locker room in the past. I also don't see Meggette playing team ball with Pierce in the 2nd rotation or Meggette taking a back seat for being a role player.

I just hope Danny is leaving some of his chip's on the table. :roll:
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#99 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:18 pm

There is little option of him getting more than MLE from anyone. The only thing that has him grabbing headlines is the fact that he is unresctricted.

PHI needs a PF not a swingman they actually need to sign there own. While Smith might work they will be looking hard at Boozer and then Randolph on the trade market.

Offensively their is no comparison between him and Posey. Maggette has leading scorer skills. He isn't a consistently good defender but he has skills he is just a Clipper. This is like picking up Stackhouse off the bench at 28 years old and with some ability on the defensive end.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#100 » by Red2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:32 pm

I agree that danny is trying to gain some leverage in his negotiations with posey. let's hope it doesn't back fire. we still haven't done anything about a big man and yes I've heard the rumors about the Birdman. Diop would be a great fit but again we don't have the cash for it. In order to re-sign Pose we need to say goodbye to tony so I think at least one of the rookies makes the team unless, miracle of miracles we land maggette. I guess the big three aren't allowed to re-work their contracts in order to give us more flexibility? If danny is splitting the midlevel between posey and maggette that isn't going to fly. Posey is 31 though so anything more than a 3 year deal is a major gamble.if we could somehow unload scalbrine that would really help
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics