ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#101 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:50 pm

Four teams are reportedly showing strong interest in signing free agent swingman Corey Maggette, one of them being the Jazz.

The L.A. Times is reporting that an anonymouse source close to Maggette has stated that he's been contacted by the Magic, Celtics and Heat, in addition to the Jazz. The Boston Globe is reporting that the C's made an offer to both Maggette and James Posey, and are waiting to hear back from both players. There is almost no chance that Maggette will return to the Clippers next season.

Source: Deseret News

That is the latest on maggette. Man, who would have thought this FA period would be that exciting. I am refreshing realgm to see the latest!!!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#102 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:57 pm

Maggette may not be able to defend at the 4 like Posey but Paul Pierce can. Although there would be a drop off defensively the upgrade offensively would be huge.

How about a 4th quarter lineup of Rondo, Allen, Maggette, Pierce and Garnett. 5 guys who can beat you off the dribble. 5 guys who can create for others. 4 guys who kill you with outside shooting. 4 guys who are at or near franchise level player. 4 guys who can carry team on their backs when hot and a 5th who has done it once or twice also.

We are talking about a major upgrade with all do respect to Posey. Are we a better team? Can it work? Will the chemistry be there? Maybe not. Is Corey going to choke in the playoffs? Maybe.

I'd still like to see Posey back but Maggette would be a terrific addition.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#103 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:59 pm

Oh, just thought of another reason for corey maggette to join us. He is bald!

Ray allen. KG, and now maggette!! Do it ainge!!!
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#104 » by ARB729 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:03 pm

I read somewhere the Magic weren't an option for him , but the Spurs are planning to offer Magette a contract per ESPN (for the full MLE).

I would love this guy to come here, but the Spurs are his best option. He will start there, in place of Finley, and he will be looked upon to be a scorer.
jking
Junior
And1: 4

Post#105 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:13 pm

RedSoxFan729 wrote:I read somewhere the Magic weren't an option for him , but the Spurs are planning to offer Magette a contract per ESPN (for the full MLE).

I would love this guy to come here, but the Spurs are his best option. He will start there, in place of Finley, and he will be looked upon to be a scorer.

I agree, he wants/needs to start, he has that kind of mentality. They tried the 6th Man thing with him on the Clippers, and it was a failed experiment.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#106 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't see Magette signing with Boston. But, he sounded genuinely surprised by Ainge's interest.

"I was very surprised they called. They just came off a championship," said Maggette in a phone interview.

"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys."

Maggette opted out of the final year of his contract that would have paid $7 million next season. While an NBA source said Maggette's management has asked the Clippers for a contract starting at $11 million next season, he said he could be willing to take a pay cut for Boston. "It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ltics+news
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#107 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:28 pm

Ok. Three points here.

We are stuck in a pre-KG era mindset. In that era, we had to overpay to get free agents because we stunk. So, the MLE was never used because the player we were going to get wasn't worth it. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY HERE NOW.

So, things have changed and here are two more things to consider.

1. Maggette is going to get RENOUNCED. That means he can't be a part of a sign and trade. If that happens, then only three teams can get him for over MLE money. Now, Golden State is trying to get Gilbert for 100 million. Thay would take them out of the running for Corey. Philly has Iggy, and Memphis has Gay.

So, once again, Maggette is likely to take the MLE from someone.

2. With that being said, it looks like a max MLE is Maggette's best way to go (good team, good money). The two best options are Boston and San Antonio for him. Personally, San Antonio he probably starts while in Boston he can plug in for Allen and PIerce and cut down on their minutes. The likelihood that Pierce and Allen are healthy for 82 games isn't good either IMO.

We'll see. We are probably going to get some more players too using the LLE and a minimum salary guy.
jking
Junior
And1: 4

Post#108 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:39 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Ok. Three points here.

We are stuck in a pre-KG era mindset. In that era, we had to overpay to get free agents because we stunk. So, the MLE was never used because the player we were going to get wasn't worth it. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY HERE NOW.

So, things have changed and here are two more things to consider.

1. Maggette is going to get RENOUNCED. That means he can't be a part of a sign and trade. If that happens, then only three teams can get him for over MLE money. Now, Golden State is trying to get Gilbert for 100 million. Thay would take them out of the running for Corey. Philly has Iggy, and Memphis has Gay.

So, once again, Maggette is likely to take the MLE from someone.

2. With that being said, it looks like a max MLE is Maggette's best way to go (good team, good money). The two best options are Boston and San Antonio for him. Personally, San Antonio he probably starts while in Boston he can plug in for Allen and PIerce and cut down on their minutes. The likelihood that Pierce and Allen are healthy for 82 games isn't good either IMO.

We'll see. We are probably going to get some more players too using the LLE and a minimum salary guy.

Gilbert is almost certain to return to Washington, longer contract and more money, which means Golden St still has a lot of money to play with. And if he has to take the MLE, I definitly think it will be somewhere he can start.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#109 » by NYKBaller » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:52 pm

magette is not coming off the bench
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#110 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:00 pm

Well I believe Golden State lost Arenas once before, they might just want Arenas enough to force the wizards into tax land for a decade.

Ither way, I got a little love for the Warriors and Don Nelson. I also have a friend that is a huge Warrior fan and I hope with the parting of B-Ditty that GoldenState can fill baron's role to the fan's.
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#111 » by Hydroponic3385 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:07 pm

If Maggette doesn't go to the Warriors, the Cavs could be a great fit as well. He could get the full MLE for a contending team, and START for that team.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#112 » by LongTimeFan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:11 pm

I would suggest that playing the 6th man on the Boston Celtics is the equivalent of starting for most other teams.

Havelcek was the 6th man for six years or so. His coming off the bench was the event that changed the games dynamic. He was the reason we won those championships.

You can see the kind of respect Posey gets as the Celtics 6th man.

I'd say Celtic 6th man and a very good chance at a ring is at least the equivalent of starting on a playoff team with a small chance of getting to the finals.

Incredibly, we are in the running for this guy. Very nice plan B.
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#113 » by armageddon » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:35 pm

He would only be the 6th man for a year or two.

People who say his defense isn't good are the same people who said PP's wasn't good. When you're the teams top scorer you don't get the tough defensive assignments. Magette is a very physical strong player. He'll give us the same game as PP. This would be a massive upgrade to the team. It wasn't too many years ago people were talking about trading PP for Magette.

Give him the longest, largest MLE we can. We also offer playoff money and higher national exposure than than SA, who is probably our top competitor for him.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,962

Post#114 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:45 pm

Hoopsworld saying Maggette to the Spurs.

According to multiple reports this morning Maggette will, indeed, wind up in the Texas Triangle, and he could very well turn out to be the piece that gets his new team a championship. If all goes according to plan, Maggette will finally join the San Antonio Spurs, who were very much in love with him a couple of seasons ago when his last contract came up.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329
wickerhd
Bench Warmer
And1: 139

Post#115 » by wickerhd » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:58 pm

If he signs with the spurs that wouldn't be all bad. Would probably have the Lakers crapping in their pants.
****dave
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#116 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:59 pm

Spurs makes the most sense for Magette. He will be much more valuable to them, in essence a lesser Pierce as he always has been, and the Spurs are the other team besides BOS that you can say has just as likely a shot to win a chip this year.

Maget was suprised we gave him a MLE deal. But he'll accept lesser money for the same chances at a ring but start and have the opportunity to be valued much higher.

If we got Maget though we wouldn't have to worry about trading Ray because he wouln't be counted on for all-star offense like he was suppose to deliver and never did this year pre rivarly matchups [vs Rip or Kobe]
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#117 » by tombattor » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:02 pm

We don't need Maggette. Just resign Posey. Maggette is a talented offensive player with good athleticism and ability to get to the basket, but he plays no D. We won #17 with defense and maggette doesn't play any...
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,427

Post#118 » by Marley2Hendrix » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:06 pm

well, as it is becoming increasingly more likely that Maggs will go to the Spurs fret not Boston fans, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, at worst this is a supreme job of posturing w/ Posey to let him know Ainge is not one to **** around. Take it or leave it brother bear. I still hold out hope that we offered posey a 3-4 year deal w/ the maximum pay raises while retaining the MLE for Diop, but considering this offer for Maggs came from left field, tough to tell who else Danny might covet
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#119 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:31 pm

So, would Magette start ahead of Ginobili at shooting guard? Or would Maggette be a back up to both Ginobili and Bowen. Well, I guess this means that Barry and Finley are both out. I wonder if Ainge would've an interest in Barry again. Barry can play both back court positions but he'll turn thirty-seven at the end of the year and doesn't play defense.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#120 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:33 pm

how do you know maggette doesnt play any defense? he went to duke where coach k preaches defense...

and before this year, everyone said ray allen & paul pierce dont play any defense. if maggette came here, he'd be an incredible defensive player. KG wont allow any slacking on the defensive end

Return to Boston Celtics