ImageImageImage

Possible Ray Allen trade?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bosoxnm3
Ballboy
And1: 0

Possible Ray Allen trade? 

Post#1 » by bosoxnm3 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:42 pm

I've read on ESPN messageboards that supposedly Ainge is shopping Allen. I would be very upset if it is true. Idoubt it's true but let just say it is. What do you think we could get back for him? Someone suggested a interesting possible trade. Ray Allen and Perk for Yao and Battier. It's obviously not going to happen but wouldn't that be a no brainer to pull the trigger on that deal?
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Re: Possible Ray Allen trade? 

Post#2 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:45 pm

no...i'd rather keep ray & perk than have injury-prone, overrated yao & battier.

yao & KG wouldnt work that well.

& i doubt that ainge is shopping allen. we need him. he's jus as important as anyone else on the team. w/o him, ther's no way we win the title this past season. if ainge trades him, then booooo.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#3 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:53 pm

No one is going to take on Ray Allen. He has 2 very big years and showed that he is no longer able to perform like an all-star night in and night out.

There is really no way the Celts can trade Allen for someone avaliable and have a better team in the end.

Yao Ming should be untradable if someone of his level is not coming back in return. If D-12 is the undisputed #1 C in teh league due to durability. Yao is the undisputed #2 C in teh league. Then you go to Camby,Kaman,Chandler.

You were reading the ESPN boards though btw, trading Ray is simple a franchise move that only fans of the team would suggest. But realistically I can't think of any way we could trade Ray and get an all-star player in his role in return. I mean aside from Redd.

Ray's regressing quicker then anticpated though, can't beleive he can't dribble in the slightest anymore and Wally Z can play him to and even match. At least Ray had enough manhood to play well against his rivals in Rip and Kobe and is still clutch as all hell.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,236

Post#4 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:54 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if that is true. Ray Allen is old and the Celtics want to stay competitive for longer than three years. Ray's trade value is pretty high right now and it might be harder to trade him next year. The mistake many teams make is too be complacent after winning a title. I am favor of Ray trading for someone like Melo (if the nuggets are still considering shopping him), which is of course a pipe dream, but basically a younger scorer that needs to be moved for whatever reason.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#5 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:04 pm

Ah ESPN message boards, the home of celtic thug.

Not true.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:09 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Ah ESPN message boards, the home of celtic thug.

Not true.

QFT.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#7 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:10 pm

Obviously if you can get Yao Ming or Carmelo Anthony you trade Ray Allen. Neither deal is remotely likely.

Which shooting guards would you rather have than Ray Allen?

I'd say Kobe, Joe Johnson, maybe Michael Redd. There are a lot of expensive shooting guards with flaws.

Obviously swapping Ray for a younger 2 isn't our only trade option- but it's worth pointing out that despite his age and playoff slump, there aren't many shooting guards better than Ray Allen.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#8 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:18 pm

bosoxnm3 wrote:Someone suggested a interesting possible trade. Ray Allen and Perk for Yao and Battier.

I can't see Houston doing this. Why? Battier was a steal from Memphis and Yao brings a lot of Asian fans and creates outside revenue in support of the Rockets. The benefits of having a Yao Ming is huge from a marketing standpoint. For Boston, accepting such a deal would be a no-brainer. Battier is the ultimate sixth man and is one of the top three or so defensive small forwards in the league. And Yao is arguable the best true center in the league and surely will attract even more Asian fans to the Celtics like Matsuzaka and Okajima for the Red Sox. My one concern is how would Pierce and Garnett take to losing their fellow All-Star amigo. Not to mention, Perkins is an ideal complement to Garnett.

I like the trade for Boston. But, I'll dislike seeing Ray Allen go so soon. But, on the other hand, Thibodeau is already familiar with Yao being an assistant head coach in Houston before and could get the best out of him and Battier defensively.

Too bad this trade isn't true. With those two players, the Celtics defense would be beyond ridiculous. There's no way Ray Allen and Perkins would be enough for Houston to give up Yao by himself.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#9 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:41 pm

Sure, cos if it's on the ESPN board it MUST be true... :roll:

This **** stupid **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word) trade was proposd months ago and was universally panned...it would be even more **** stupid now.

**** NO...and stop posting stupid trade ideas "OMG can we tradez Pierce for KObez thatd be teh shintz!" :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#10 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:58 pm

im not really lookin for them to trade him, but who are some of the guys we could S&T for??
B. Gordon
E. Okafor
. . . .???
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#11 » by ddb » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:19 pm

This is an outrageous trend. Danny Ainge is NOT shopping Ray Allen. We just won an NBA Championship because of the way KG, Pierce, and Allen sacrificed their individual goals for the benefit of the team. Ainge is going to do whatever he can to keep this team together. We're capable of winning another championship or two with this group. The Corey Maggette offer is a safety valve in case Posey leaves. Ainge is not dealing away Ray Allen. Houston is not trading Ming. Denver is not trading Carmelo.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#12 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:39 pm

Its funny about a month ago everyone wanted Ray gone, I def dont want to trade Ray but if you could get Yao and Battier for Ray and Perk you have to pull the trigger.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#13 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:40 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:Sure, cos if it's on the ESPN board it MUST be true... :roll:

This **** stupid **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word) trade was proposd months ago and was universally panned...it would be even more **** stupid now.

**** NO...and stop posting stupid trade ideas "OMG can we tradez Pierce for KObez thatd be teh shintz!" :roll: :roll: :roll:

What about Garnett for Gasol???
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#14 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:42 pm

ddb wrote:This is an outrageous trend. Danny Ainge is NOT shopping Ray Allen. We just won an NBA Championship because of the way KG, Pierce, and Allen sacrificed their individual goals for the benefit of the team. Ainge is going to do whatever he can to keep this team together. We're capable of winning another championship or two with this group. The Corey Maggette offer is a safety valve in case Posey leaves. Ainge is not dealing away Ray Allen. Houston is not trading Ming. Denver is not trading Carmelo.
well, unfortunately for you and the other fans who want the same team next year, Danny works in the same city as the coldhearted win at all costs Theo regime of the Sox and the icewater tandem of Belichick/Pioli. feelings will not enter the equation, champiopnships will
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:33 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Sure, cos if it's on the ESPN board it MUST be true... :roll:

What about Garnett for Gasol???

No way. Garnett for Bynum, definitely: we'll sweep the regular season AND the playoffs then. 98-0 baby!
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#16 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:56 pm

Things are set up so well for Boston right now. They have a championship team with the starting five locked in for the next two years. The chemistry is great, the mixture of youth and experience is perfect, and the skills of everyone complement each other quite well. Its also an extremely desirable location for free agents for the next two years. Maybe neither of these next two seasons bring another banner, but the C's can go into each season thinking championship.

And then, one by one for the next three years, a max contract comes off the books - giving the team great cap flexibility (and tradeable assets for teams looking for expiring contracts). If this next season goes poorly and you feel like changing things around a year early, Allen's expiring contract will bring plenty of value in return. And if you fail to get a good offer, use the cap space the next year.

Just because this team won a title in its first season of playing together doesn't mean it can happen with every group of players you throw together. A 28-year old Maggette for a 32-year old Allen may seem like an upgrade on paper, but until you see Maggette on the floor with this current team, you don't know for sure what will happen.

I'd rather keep the entire roster in tact (sans Cassell) and put the two rookies in the D-League, but I can't begrudge Posey if he wants to cash in while he has high value. It is a business.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#17 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:57 pm

This thread is all Mike Felger's fault.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#18 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:57 pm

So if I follow correctly, it's not a rumor, but a poster suggested the trade for Yao?
I would do that trade, but it's very unlikely to happen, given the fact that even with his health issues, Yao is now the best center in the NBA. Ray is aging, and Yao probably isn't going to hold up well himself, so you'd probably be trading 2 years of Ray for 2 years of Yao.

Do I want to trade Ray Allen? Only if we can get someone who's an upgrade at C or SG. Like someone else mentioned, he's still probably among the top 5-6 SGs in the league, so there's very few people who can replace him through a trade. At PF/C, who would I trade Ray for? Let's see, Yao, Howard, Kaman, Jefferson, Amare, Oden, Aldridge, and Dalembert if Miller came along with him. There's not too many possible trades out there, and most of those players are considered the futures of their franchises. Why wouldn't I trade for Bynum? He's coming off an injury, and you never trade with your enemies.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:03 pm

....the IQ on this board has taken a serious hit it seems...you your heads people, the team isn't trading Ray Allen--the same player fresh off a NBA Finals dominant performance...the same Allen who is certainly NOT past his ability to play at a star level...the same Allen who just helped Boston to win the Championship...WTF are people thinking?

...Ainge may very well trade Allen, but he isn't going to do it right after a title and certainly not before Allen's deal is set to expire..Allen produced at a high level, got stronger as the season wore on, struggled to adjut to DOUBLE TEAMS, during the Cavs series, and then crushed Detroit and LA in the two most important series of the year....

..get used to Ray, he aint leaving anytime soon...
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#20 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:09 pm

^^Thank you for posting that. **** ****, it seems like all the dopes came out of the woodwork after the Finals, proposing stupid **** to make the team worse...ever heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

There's a huge difference between tweaking and overhauling, and the morons on here seem to want to do the latter...ARRGGHH! :censored:

Return to Boston Celtics