Trade the farm for Sabathia

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Trade the farm for Sabathia 

Post#1 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm tired of these rag-tag, no talent softball-lobbers like Rasner, Giese and Ponson.

Enough is enough.

I realize we have had injuries. Hughes and Kennedy both getting injured for extended periods of time is something that we couldn't expect.

But to expect Hughes and Kennedy to be good major league starters in their first full year is foolish... period! We put our entire season in their hands.. and look where it has gotten us!

I'm tired of mediocre pitching staffs year after year. I'm tired of running out these clowns every single game.

Tommorrow we put Mussina on the mound. Listen, I am a big fan of Mussina. Great pitcher during his career. But he's yet another pitcher on our staff who doesn't break 90 and gets whacked around by the good hitting teams in the league.

The only way we are ever going to surpass Boston and reach our rightful place at the top of the division is to beat them in the race that they have absolutely dominated us in over the last few years: the arms race.

Boston trading for Beckett was the start of Boston surpassing us in this department. Then, when they outbid us for Matsuzaka, that was another nail in our coffin.

I am a big fan of developing from our farm, but we need to be realistic.

Our pitching sucks right now. And it has the last 5 years. And it needs to change.

We need to do everything in our power to obtain Sabathia. No more hoping that some high-quality arm in the minors are going to be our savior. Let's get a sure-thing. We need to stop overvaluing our prospects and start getting some known quantities. The Red Sox and Theo have done that expertly. We need to do it too.

I am willing to unload our farm system to get Sabathia. Jackson, Tabata, whomever... none of them are off-limits.
Sashobe
Starter
And1: 79

Re: Trade the farm for Sabathia 

Post#2 » by Sashobe » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:25 pm

Hell no. So we have one year we don't make the playoffs. So what. Its not worth trading our team's whole entire future away from a struggling former Cy Young winner.

I would trade Melky and something for him, but leave Jackson, Tabata, JB Cox, Dellin Betances, Jeffery Marquez, and whomever else alone.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#3 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:28 pm

Sashobe wrote:Hell no. So we have one year we don't make the playoffs. So what. Its not worth trading our team's whole entire future away from a struggling former Cy Young winner.

I would trade Melky and something for him, but leave Jackson, Tabata, JB Cox, Dellin Betances, Jeffery Marquez, and whomever else alone.

Oh please. Pretty much all of those guys except for Jackson will be lucky to be major league contributors.

Why shouldn't we trade them for an ace again?
Sashobe
Starter

Post#4 » by Sashobe » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:46 pm

Because it is too late. I doubt that even if we do it would help much. Keep the young guys and wait for next year. I haven't given up, but I don't like trading everything away.

Keep the youth, ride the year out.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#5 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:43 pm

Sadly, our problem has not been starting pitching. We simply don't hit for ****
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#6 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:07 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Sadly, our problem has not been starting pitching. We simply don't hit for ****

Our problem is starting pitching.

We have one of the highest ERAs in the league.

Year after year, this has been a problem. Ever since 2003.
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Jitpal » Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:18 pm

Rumors are that the Brewers are dangling LaPorta. No way we can compete with that. That's a Joba, Jackson or Cano level player. When in the past few years have we not had 25+ starts from these AAA or AAAA guys? Every team has them, the reason the Yanks have still kept chugging along is that the offense picked it up on those games. With Jeter grounding out to short every other AB, Abreu being a walk or out every AB, Arod not doing well with men on base, Matsui(our most consistent hitter the past few years) out for probably a long time, Molina/Moller in there instead of Posada, Cano not hitting to his potential and Melky regressing there obviously hasn't been any offense. We don't need Sabbathia, it obviously wouldn't hurt but we don't need him. -Jitpal
Sashobe
Starter

Post#8 » by Sashobe » Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:29 pm

cmaff051 wrote:
nykgeneralmanager wrote:Sadly, our problem has not been starting pitching. We simply don't hit for ****

We usually have a higher ERA than other teams in the league, but our offense is not picking up the slack like it usually does. We don't just have one problem, we have a whole bunch of them that can not be fixed with just one acquisition. This offseason a lot of work needs to be done, because this squad is not working anymore. This is not just a quick fix.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Jul 5, 2008 1:08 am

cmaff051 wrote:

Last year, there were 33 games that the Yanks scored 2 runs or less. This year, already 29. Our inconsistent offense is the reason we are a .500 team, our pitching has actually held up better than expected especially when you factor in the injuries. With Rasner and Ponson we can definitely afford to get a player like Sabathia, but he isn't going to put us over the top as long as we score 2 runs or less against scrub teams and pitchers.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 1:28 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:
cmaff051 wrote:

Last year, there were 33 games that the Yanks scored 2 runs or less. This year, already 29. Our inconsistent offense is the reason we are a .500 team, our pitching has actually held up better than expected especially when you factor in the injuries. With Rasner and Ponson we can definitely afford to get a player like Sabathia, but he isn't going to put us over the top as long as we score 2 runs or less against scrub teams and pitchers.

Come on, you know with this offense we'll score around 800 runs, maybe even more.

Hitting has never been the problem. We are consistently at the top of the league.

Pitching is the problem, and it has been for the last 5 years.
Jerryd Bayless
Banned User

Post#11 » by Jerryd Bayless » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:05 am

you're out of your mind
why sign C.C? we aren't winning this year, i can tell you that much.

want to know why the bullpen has been so solid? our strong farm system
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:54 am

I agree that on paper pitching is our weakness and has been for years. But if our offense was playing anywhere near its capabilities, we would be a lot closer to 1st place if not there and there would be no desire to sell the farm for Sabathia. At this point, Sabathia would probably cost a combination of Austin Jackson and one of the better pitching prospects such as Betances/McAllister plus a guy like Horne, not to mention the $18 million/year contract we would have to throw at him.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#13 » by TKF » Sat Jul 5, 2008 7:20 am

right now, I think it is too late, even to add sebathia. But I agree, I mean there are going to be nights where we need our staff to hold good teams to one or two runs, but look what happens today, we get a 3 run lead on beckett and rasner give up 6... no way you can win with that.. No way!!! we are going to have to have our guys go out there and shut teams down, and I mean stop putting our offense in the hole early and often.... I say the playoffs are done for us, that is just my opinion, we just don't have it this year.. I say rid it out and hope next year, hughes and kennedy are healthy and better..
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#14 » by Jitpal » Sat Jul 5, 2008 1:58 pm

TKF wrote:right now, I think it is too late, even to add sebathia. But I agree, I mean there are going to be nights where we need our staff to hold good teams to one or two runs, but look what happens today, we get a 3 run lead on beckett and rasner give up 6... no way you can win with that.. No way!!! we are going to have to have our guys go out there and shut teams down, and I mean stop putting our offense in the hole early and often.... I say the playoffs are done for us, that is just my opinion, we just don't have it this year.. I say rid it out and hope next year, hughes and kennedy are healthy and better..

I really don't think we are out of it. I don't expect Tampa to be there in late August and September. The AL Central will beat themselves up. The Wild Card will be ours for the taking, and the way the Yankees play I think they will make it too. Maybe I'm just being a homer but that is how I see it playing out. I believe Hughes will come back and pitch well. I even think a guy out of the group or Horne, Kennedy, McCutchen, Aceves etc. will come up and pitch to a 3.8 or 3.9 ERA out of that 5 spot in the rotation in late August.

I would say we should get rid of Abreu, but with his numbers he would be a type A free agent. I don't see any team giving us two good prospects for him. I think everyone else will just stick around. I think if the Sabathia for LaPorta rumors are true and the Indians get LaPorta, we should try and figure out how to get Garko. Solid hitter, ok defensively, young and right handed. Deal someone like a Horne for him. -Jitpal
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#15 » by jeff1624 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 12:31 am

I hate Abreu, wish Girardi would realize he isnt a capable 3rd hiiter.

And Cmaff, nyk is right. Our offense has sucked this year. We're as inconsistent as we'll ever be. Jeter is havong the worst year of his career, Cano is hitting 250, Cabrera sucks, Posada has been in and out the whole year and now Matsui and damon are out. That forces us to use Moeller, molina and cabrera more than we really should.

Our starting pitching has been suprisingly adequate this year and our bullpen aside from Hawkings and ohlendorf has been pretty good aswell.
Dat Leadership
Da big3
Starter

Post#16 » by Da big3 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 1:18 am

well, id rather sign C.C sabthia, i think we should target , Broson Arroyo or more better Aaron Harang, why not their cleaning out and have yung picters like volquez, baiely, queto, so we should make a move for Harang...
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by PR07 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:28 am

Honestly, I'm usually for getting the big guns at the trade deadline, but this season, I think we need to just hold off. If the Brewers acquire Sabathia, can they really re-sign both Sabathia and Sheets? I think it's highly unlikely, and one has to go (more than likely it would be Sheets). Sheets would probably command lesser money and is 10-2 right now with a 2.77 ERA. There's an outside chance too that we could sign Yu Darvish if he comes out too, although I've heard that's unlikely now.

The pitching hasn't been the problem. The guys that we have aren't going to carry us to the postseason, but they have done a solid enough job that we should be winning a lot more games than we are. It's the offense that's the problem and while acquiring Sabathia would certainly make us better, it doesn't really help the thing that's struggling the most. We can't afford to trade Austin Jackson because the outfielders we have are aging and in Abreu's case, underachieving.

Wait until the offseason, and sign Sabathia or Sheets and Mark Teixeira.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,881

Post#18 » by meatball sub » Sun Jul 6, 2008 11:05 pm

Sabathia is about to be traded to the Brewers, it's close to official apparently.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#19 » by cmaff051 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:25 am

Crap!

Let's hope he doesn't resign there.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by PR07 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:21 am

Well, whoever the Brew Crew let walk between Sabathia and Sheets is who we should pursue. Personally, I might almost prefer Sheets.

Return to New York Yankees