ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#21 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Didn`t hear anything positive about this guy in his 2 year in the NBA. He barely played, so I wanted to check what was being said about him before the draft:

Draftexpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pat ... ryant-333/
NBAdraft.net: http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profile ... ryant.html

It looks like this guy is (or at least was in college) a good defender, rebounder and shotblocker. His weakness were and still are conditioning, strength, lack of confidence...

And a look at his stats which obviously don`t say much:
College: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/patrick-o-bryant
NBDL: http://www.basketball-reference.com/nbd ... pa01d.html
NBA: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/patrick_o ... stats.html

After reading all this I am actually not that down on this guy anymore. It really looks like he just didn`t fit in GS system and never got a chance.

He needs to be in the right environment, with good leadership, good coaching (Clifford Ray) and he might just turn out to be a useful player...
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Barry Lird » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 pm

FWIW, there's a long thread on the GSW board about the perceived merits / potential (and in some posters' views, lack thereof) of O'Bryant. I haven't read the whole thing, but it's interesting so far:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=821651
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#23 » by Kefa461 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:13 pm

In Danny I trust...... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Post#24 » by DJToLarry » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Remember the last center we got who started his career with Golden State??? Maybe lightning strikes twice! ;)
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#25 » by campybatman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 pm

My guess is that O'Bryant signed for the two-year contract that Barry signed for with Houston.

The Rockets had sought Barry as a midseason addition in February, then opened the free-agency period this month with a call to him as soon as NBA rules allowed, landing him when he accepted the Rockets' offer of a two-year $3.9 million contract to bolster the bench behind starters Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier.

The Rockets will use their "biannual exception" to sign Barry, keeping their full mid-level exception to match any offer up to that amount (starting at $5.585 million for the 2008-09 season) that restricted free agent Carl Landry receives.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5882274.html
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Post#26 » by DJToLarry » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 pm

I think a lot of us would have rather seen this post:

Celtics sign The Birdman! by patrickobryant
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#27 » by greenbeans » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:32 pm

if any amount of these young guys start to do well and develop were going to have quite a deal of young, cheap assets to dole out when we see fit. im starting to like this signing more as time goes on.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#28 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Stats of course have their limits, but I just spent some time on espn.com.

Holllinger has him with a higher PER than Perk, he was 14th among all centers in the league last season for fg% (.552). He was 38th among centers--ahead of J Noah, B Wallace, etc.--in rebounds per 48 minutes (13.4). He was also 11th among all centers for blocks per 48 minutes. Yes, it was in limited playing time and off the bench--but he was 21.
BlamePitino
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by BlamePitino » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Two things to consider regarding his "poor" workouts:

1) It was extremely common for Red Auerbach to feign disappointment (and even disgust) at prospects he secretly coveted, in order to get his hands on them. In fact, there are two famous stories about him bolting at halftime, "annoyed" after watching Cowens and McHale in their college games.

2) Ainge idolizes Red as an executive.

So, draw your own conclusions.
BillessuR6
General Manager

Post#30 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm

DJToLarry wrote:I think a lot of us would have rather seen this post:

Celtics sign The Birdman! by patrickobryant

:lol:
P2
Banned User

Post#31 » by P2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:39 pm

BakersDozen wrote:would have rather the birdman...

This signing doesn't mean we won't sign Birdman. Maybe O'Bryant was signed as a 3rd string Center.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#32 » by Spin Move » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:40 pm

andy582 wrote:Patrick O'Bryant- the next Mark Blount?

Lets hope so, say what you will about blount but at least he could really shoot it, if POB gets to blount level (which is good backup who can't rebound) then I will be very happy.
BillessuR6
General Manager

Post#33 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

BlamePitino wrote:Two things to consider regarding his "poor" workouts:

1) It was extremely common for Red Auerbach to feign disappointment (and even disgust) at prospects he secretly coveted, in order to get his hands on them. In fact, there are two famous stories about him bolting at halftime, "annoyed" after watching Cowens and McHale in their college games.

Agreed. I even read somewhere that another "source" who attended the workout thought POB looked very good. So, it loks like it was a misinformation...
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by campybatman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:45 pm

BlamePitino wrote:Two things to consider regarding his "poor" workouts:

Suffice it to say, to use the logic you imply. Ainge has no interest in Darius Miles since a NBA scout reported that he was "impressive" in his workout for Boston. Therefore, Miles was merely a decoy to throw off Posey's agent.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,884

Post#35 » by meatball sub » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:55 pm

This is interesting to say the least. Kid has a lot of talent and if he just needs to "figure it out" he should be able to on this team unless he's completely immature and unwilling to work hard. I like it as far as the low risk high reward factor, but isn't this the guy people question whether or not he really likes to play basketball?
Egregious Blunder
General Manager

Post#36 » by Egregious Blunder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 pm

obryant has always been a very talented 7 footer. the problem is hes unmotivated and lazy as hell. for very little risk, i like the signing.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#37 » by GuyClinch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Cleary Danny didn't want to be one upped by Mark Cuban and his great Gerald Green signing. <g> Can't say I am excited about this but there is always a modest chance he doesn't go on to suck..

Pete
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by campybatman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm

A published report out of the Hartford Courant reports that the recent signing of free agent center, Patrick O'Bryant, was as much to do with his name as much as his talent. The article goes on to say that the new Celtic stands to make additional money in local (Boston) advertisements and national endorsements. One such national product is the Green Giant line of frozen and canned vegetables. O'Bryant is said to be excited and happy for the opportunity that Boston has given him. He says, the Boston fans will like him.

grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#39 » by grantlongforpresident » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm on board!

He may be a bust, but at age 22 i won't call him one yet. LET'S GO PATRICK O'BRYANT!!!!!!
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#40 » by Banks2Pierce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Our new backup C.

Return to Boston Celtics