ImageImageImage

OT: Lakers should agree to an Artest and Thomas for Odom

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

OT: Lakers should agree to an Artest and Thomas for Odom 

Post#1 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:48 am

If I'm the Lakers and this rumor plays out exactly as stated. How can you not agree to this trade?

I disagree that the Kings will surrend their season next season if Artest is traded. The Kings will have a solid starting five if everyone's healthy. Odom will be motivated for a new contract. And Martin continues to get better. The real question for the Kings entering next season is their bench. If they can have a healthy Abdur-Rahim for most of the season and get consistent contributes from Moore, S. Williams, Hawes and anyone of their rookies. The Kings could have a modest season minus the distraction of Artest and whether or not he'll be traded before the deadline. But, the key to their success next season likely begins with Udrih.

4 - Odom
3 - Salmons
5 - Miller
1 - Udrih
2 - Martin

The catch for any team making a deal for Artest is that the Kings are going to use him as a means to unload one of their albatross contracts. Kenny Thomas and Shareef Abdur-Rahim are more than likely to come up in any discussion, as the Kings owe them basically $20 million and $13 million respectively . . .and neither was really in the rotation late last season.

The Lakers are willing to move Lamar Odom to the Kings for Artest, but that's hardly doing the Kings a favor. Odom's $14 million will come off the books next summer, but it also means basically throwing away the 2008-09 season. Artest is a much better player than Odom, and has been someone who has pushed his teammates to be better at every level. Kevin Martin will be the first to tell you that Artest's constant pressure made him a better defender, worthy of the $53 million contract he signed last summer.

It's highly likely that Artest will get dealt this summer, but you can bet it will be a package deal where the receiving team eats a bad contract. That team won't be the Lakers unless they wind up losing Ronny Turiaf and feel Thomas or Abdur-Rahim can help fill that void.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9427
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,424

Re: OT: Lakers should agree to an Artest and Thomas for Odom 

Post#2 » by threrf23 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:53 am

Kings are not a great team to begin with, and they'd be losing their best player. Odom's good but not as good as Artest.

But, Bynum/Gasol/Artest/Kobe/Whoever, with serviceable role players on the bench, would put LA in a hell of a position if this rumor is credible.
YouAreBeneathMe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by YouAreBeneathMe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:20 am

I do believe that the deal you've proposed is the deal that will go through if indeed SAC agrees to part ways with Artest and send him to LA, like reports have been mentioning since the Finals. Artest instead of Odom might have meant a title this season for the Lakers. I'll admit to not having watched much of Artest since departing to SAC from IND. I'm almost certain that he is still a top notch defender, but I'm only going by testimony and not personal observation. Does he still have it? That's the main question needing to be answered by both sides. I do think that SAC would be more willing to pull the trigger on this deal as the Maloofs evidently have dumping salary on the top of their priority list. It explains the Bibby trade. Furthermore on the reasoning behind the Kings making this trade I think a strong case can be made that with Salmons's emergence, Artest's role has been rendered more insignificant than it has ever been, which would castigate the Kings to shop him around for either more value or saving money. I think they would go with the latter option if presented with both
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by SonicYouth34 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 am

Didn't LA offer the trade, not the Kings? Also SAC should get something else out of the deal, Odom isn't worth Artest, not by a long shot.
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#5 » by grantlongforpresident » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:20 pm

i like this trade for both teams. Gasol makes Odom less important. Artest would be the Pippen type player - dangerous on O and especially D, but can't carry the load by himself on a winning team. He is a crappy #1 option, but a solid #2 option. Kobe would be one of the few players that Artest would actually defer to.

Also, Turiaf isn't really a unique player. Let Chris Mullin overpay him just like he overpaid Adonal Foyle, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and now Corey Maggette. You replace him with SAR or Kenny Thomas.

For Sacamento they unload a bad contract, and an A-Hole who has already said he wishes he had opted out. Get some value for him now before he a) gets injured b) goes mental c) begins to play worse or d) ultimately opts out.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,241

Post#6 » by TheSheriff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:44 pm

SonicYouth34 wrote:Didn't LA offer the trade, not the Kings? Also SAC should get something else out of the deal, Odom isn't worth Artest, not by a long shot.

I agree. If LA has any draft picks, they should also be included in the deal. Or may Sasha Pavlovich.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#7 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Yeah artest/kobe/gasol is definitely a better three then odom/kobe/gasol. So a deal like that would be great for the Lakers.

Also artest idolizes kobe, so it seems. I remember watching ron do an interview for BDSS with kobe, he couldn't stop smiling, and seemed to be in awe that he got to interview him. If he were to ever be teamed up with kobe, he would probably be motivated even more, and play even better then he already plays.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#8 » by cisco » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:45 pm

SonicYouth34 wrote:Didn't LA offer the trade, not the Kings? Also SAC should get something else out of the deal, Odom isn't worth Artest, not by a long shot.

Yes. And from what I read, the Kings never even responded to the trade offer. Why would they? I don't see the Kings helping the Lakers build a championship team.
dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Post#9 » by dingodile » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Of course LA should agree to this deal, but I can't see a good reason for Sac to make it.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:00 pm

I don't see why the Lakers have to include more when the deal works as suggested and both teams achieve what they could hope for in doing this trade. The Kings dump Artest who could've opted out and foolishly didn't believing that he'd an extension in place which wasn't the case from the Sacramento front office. And the Lakers upgrade a position, small forward, that seriously needs it. Especially, from a defensive standpoint. Moreover, Artest is fond of Bryant so I don't believe he'll create disharmony on the team with Bryant and Jackson keeping him calm and focused.

The Lakers forward has accepted a four-year, $17 million offer sheet from Golden State and the Lakers have seven days to match it. It seems inconceivable that they will and it's to the Kings' advantage if they don't.

If they are to convince the Lakers to take back forward Kenny Thomas in a deal in which Artest would be LA-bound and Lamar Odom would come to Sacramento, they need Turiaf to head for the Bay Area. The Lakers are already near the luxury tax and not looking to go any further, and they may buy into the logic that Thomas - who turns 31 on July 25 - could provide quality defensive-minded minutes off the bench just like Turiaf did.

With the chance to get out of Sacramento and his invisible existence, Thomas may even do a few dances courtside like the jovial Turiaf has been known for. Thomas is owed approximately $18 over the next two seasons, so the lump sum is about equal with Turiaf's offer sheet (albeit in two less seasons). It's the price of doing business if they want to acquire the underpaid Artest ($7.4 million).

Meanwhile, the many who can't envision a Lakers-Kings blockbuster trade of any kind have a valid point. It would go against the NBA grain, but it should be said that any and all theories that the Maloofs simply wouldn't let it happen couldn't be further from the truth. They will pull the trigger if they get what they want.

If not, they'll hope to make something happen with someone else. Among the teams I've been told to keep a serious eye on in the Artest sweepstakes: Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and maybe even Charlotte.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sp ... 13818.html
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:46 pm

No your wrong we inquired about Artest we didn't offer anything.When you inquire that means you want to see what it takes to get a deal done.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:53 pm

cisco wrote:
Yes. And from what I read, the Kings never even responded to the trade offer. Why would they? I don't see the Kings helping the Lakers build a championship team.
Of course they never responded because there was no negotiation's yet. Geoff Petrie didn't comment on the deal because remember at this point it's just speculation anyway. Letting the parameters out of the bag would taint the deal seeing as the Kings are dealing from a stand point of acquiring cap space and getting rid of one of their bad contracts.

Lamar has an expiring contract of 14 million and in todays NBA that's more appealing then players to a certain extent.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#13 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:56 pm

TheSheriff wrote:
I agree. If LA has any draft picks, they should also be included in the deal. Or may Sasha Pavlovich.
The guy you mentioned plays for the Cavs.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#14 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 pm

I think the deal is pretty fair if they Lakers take on the Thomas or SAR contracts. While I agree Artest is better than Odom, the crazy factor is still out there too.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#15 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:59 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:I think the deal is pretty fair if they Lakers take on the Thomas or SAR contracts. While I agree Artest is better than Odom, the crazy factor is still out there too.
Yeah you never know about that, but as a fan I'm willing to take a chance.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

dingodile
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by dingodile » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 pm

I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. But only two more years remain on his deal, so they'd only save themselves one year and they're not paying the luxury tax. Also, it appears that they're planing on making a push for the free agent class of 2010, not 2009, as Miller, SAR, and Thomas' contracts all expire at that time.

So it all boils down to this... Sac would only get out of Thomas' contract one year early, while they would potentially make the Lakers (not only a conference, but a division opponent) very strong for many years to come. Just doesn't add up.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#17 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:07 am

dingodile wrote:I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. Just doesn't add up.
You just answered your own thoughts. Adds up fine in Sac Town and LA quite well.

Kings get cap space and could be a major player in 09 free agent sweep stakes. And Lakers get a SF who can defend and a over paid PF who hustles and gives you what Ronny does, plus his contract give the Lakers decent space after the 09-10 season.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by campybatman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:34 am

One point which is being missed is: The Lakers are getting Artest at a bargain assuming if this trade were to go through. Because how much in salary would the Lakers have had committed to Artest had he opted out? Remember Artest was attracting enough interest from other teams besides the Lakers to drive up his price. You would've had to sign him to a contract higher than the MLE.
dingodile
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by dingodile » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:56 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
dingodile wrote:I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. Just doesn't add up.
You just answered your own thoughts. Adds up fine in Sac Town and LA quite well.

Kings get cap space and could be a major player in 09 free agent sweep stakes. And Lakers get a SF who can defend and a over paid PF who hustles and gives you what Ronny does, plus his contract give the Lakers decent space after the 09-10 season.

Maybe you should have kept reading.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#20 » by MVP4LIFE » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:22 am

I think the Lakers should take a chance on this one. In potential they'd have a fantastic team and balance. Kobe and Phil should be able to calm down Artest.
Artest and the Kings won't work anymore after his latest comments. Besides, I never heard anything about Artest being such a good factor on the Kings. Maybe these stories are now out there, to up his value? But I haven't been following the Kings and Artest very closely, so maybe I'm wrong about his role on the Kings.. But I also believe Lamar Odom is a great player and someone who could help the Kings.
"Watching his work ethic, his dedication and, again, his passion that he brings every single day. It's something that I've looked at and said that if I had to design a NBA player, I'd first design him with the heart of Kevin Garnett." Jet

Return to Boston Celtics