ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#121 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Al n' Perk No Layups! wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:Ah! ****. I hate this signing.

I called this guy a bust before the draft when some of you wanted him. He turned out to be a bust. And was glad we didn't draft him. Now he signs with us, ugh I thought we were past this guy.

Yeah, signing this guy for the minimum really limits our ability to pursue other free agents and signing him for a whole two years really kills our longterm financial flexablility. How are we gonna resign our guys when we have the minimum tied up to POB?

Easy, with the bright green font.

I never said anything about financial flexibility, what are you talking about?? All I said was that I disliked the player. And would rather have seen us take a flyer on someone else.

I am just saying I am not a fan of him, and you get on my case?? Some of the posters here are bringing up the name robert parish :lol: Lets trade for Adam Morrison too then we can have bird and parrish part 2. :lol:
jono
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#122 » by jono » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Any way you look at it this is a good move by Ainge... We didn't overspend nor get a player with a track record of injuries or substance abuse... Basically, Ainge rolled the dice on someone who has barely seen the basketball court in his brief time in the NBA (I believe someone posted on another forum that he has only played approximately 200 minutes in 2 years!) POB will probably never be an all-star but the fact is, he is coming to a better organization that is giving him the opportunity that he should have received in Golden State under Don Nelson...

We really didn't risk anything because the money and years invested in POB are great and Ainge has made our team younger, taller and perhaps down the road, POB will develop into a capable big man in this league... Remember that we did not sign him to be our starting center nor do we need him to dominate... We just need bodies to fill out our rotation and this kid has potential and upside that clearly has not been reached yet... And he is only 22 years old!
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,938

Post#123 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:04 pm

The name that came to my mind was not Robert Parish but actually Tony Battie (i.e., lottery pick, quickly labeled a bust). If O'Bryant can contribute like Battie (albeit in less minutes), I'll be happy. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,029

Post#124 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:08 pm

My only take on this besides backing up everyone who's said low risk/high reward move it to say POB's size and ability as a shot blocker are exactly what we need from him. Without him, we're than same up front as the regular season last year, pre-PJ, Perk and KG, and then smaller guys filling in behind them. Which is fine, we did alright from what I can remember :wink: . With him, the need for some length off the bench to man-up against bigger centers has been filled, and if that ends up being his role at least he's as cheap as can be. Throw in the upside to be much more than that, obviously it's a good gamble. F'in kid is long though, that standing reach is ridiculous, hopefully Don Nelson is stupid for letting him get away.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#125 » by floyd » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:52 am

This is probably the best we could do without touching the MLE. Can never have too many big guys - especially if we face Cleveland again in the playoffs. Their frontline just killed us with their size. Hopefully we can pick up another PJ type before April, but if not it'll be nice to have somebody, anybody, over 6-8 coming off the bench. I love Powe, but he just shouldn't be asked to guard Z. He's giving up like 8 inches - it's just not fair. They should attach this kid to Perk by the hip all off-season.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#126 » by buckner1976 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:55 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:My only take on this besides backing up everyone who's said low risk/high reward move it to say POB's size and ability as a shot blocker are exactly what we need from him. Without him, we're than same up front as the regular season last year, pre-PJ, Perk and KG, and then smaller guys filling in behind them. Which is fine, we did alright from what I can remember :wink: . With him, the need for some length off the bench to man-up against bigger centers has been filled, and if that ends up being his role at least he's as cheap as can be. Throw in the upside to be much more than that, obviously it's a good gamble. F'in kid is long though, that standing reach is ridiculous, hopefully Don Nelson is stupid for letting him get away.

couldnt agree more with this post. at worst we are where we were last year during the regular season. only this year look for powe and davis to be involved more and improved. best case he fills the backup spot admirably as a shotblocker and rebounder begind perk and kg gets to stay at the 4 for the vast majority of his minutes where he belongs.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#127 » by MVP4LIFE » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:24 am

buckner1976 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:My only take on this besides backing up everyone who's said low risk/high reward move it to say POB's size and ability as a shot blocker are exactly what we need from him. Without him, we're than same up front as the regular season last year, pre-PJ, Perk and KG, and then smaller guys filling in behind them. Which is fine, we did alright from what I can remember :wink: . With him, the need for some length off the bench to man-up against bigger centers has been filled, and if that ends up being his role at least he's as cheap as can be. Throw in the upside to be much more than that, obviously it's a good gamble. F'in kid is long though, that standing reach is ridiculous, hopefully Don Nelson is stupid for letting him get away.

couldnt agree more with this post. at worst we are where we were last year during the regular season. only this year look for powe and davis to be involved more and improved. best vase he fills the backup spot admirably as a shotblocker and rebounder begind perk and kg gets to stay at the 4 for the vast majority of his minutes where he belongs.

+1

I also don't understand a lot of the negative comments in this thread. It's the minimum and it was used on a big guy with potential. Playing alongside KG and not in the Warriors' system must help O'Bryant. IMO this is a good pick-up.
"Watching his work ethic, his dedication and, again, his passion that he brings every single day. It's something that I've looked at and said that if I had to design a NBA player, I'd first design him with the heart of Kevin Garnett." Jet
Brand 76
Ballboy

Post#128 » by Brand 76 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 am

I think you guys should be happy with the pick up, and if he doesnt work out throw him to the T-wolves or Grizz at the end of the season.

I wouldnt call him a bust i just think GState has no idea and just left this kid on the bench as they did Wright and bellinelli.......good luck anyway's.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#129 » by Pogue Mahone » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Easy, with the bright green font.

I may be mistaken but I do believe the green font was to indicate wit. You know, in case the Sarcasm Alterer and Auto Responder was not working properly or whatever.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#130 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm

P2 wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:I thought this kid was a dud. He couldn't crack the rotation in GS of IND with little competition.

He hasn't played for Indiana.

Who was that then, his evil twin Ik Diogu?

I really thought this kid was lazy and couldn't play. Now we sign him and he is going to be playing 20 minutes a night. We will see. I haven't seen him play a minute of basketball so I have no idea.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#131 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Our new project 5 POB has succeeded at the impossible- extinguishing my interest in the career of Robert Swift.
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#132 » by lojowo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:55 am

They only signed him, so he could switch shirts with Scal:

No one in the league looks more like a Patrick O'Bryant then Brian Scalabrine
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach

Post#133 » by rambo_ortega » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:18 am

i strongly support this move for us. exactly what we need. an agile 7 footer to copliment big baby and powe. he has the potential and was a high pick. he couldn't fit warriors style but has the possibility to flourish in our style and under kg's influence. we got him cheap also.
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#134 » by lojowo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 pm

On a Serious note: my hope is POB first 2 years is a reflection on Don Nelson not really wanting to use a traditional center in his offense.

Nelson teams have been typically Donut ( no center ) teams, Lanier maybe one of his best true post up center he had.

I cant recall many others.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#135 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 pm

bruno sundov wrote:
P2 wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:I thought this kid was a dud. He couldn't crack the rotation in GS of IND with little competition.

He hasn't played for Indiana.

Who was that then, his evil twin Ik Diogu?

I really thought this kid was lazy and couldn't play. Now we sign him and he is going to be playing 20 minutes a night. We will see. I haven't seen him play a minute of basketball so I have no idea.

Yeah, Diogu was traded over to indiana in the dunleavy deal. I don't know where that guy is now though, I think he was traded again.

Man, both diogu and Obie back to back, Gstate has had **** luck in drafting.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#136 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm

So I'm not losing my mind....yet.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#137 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:44 pm

I am not really worried about POB. He didn't start well at Bradley until late. I never like Baron Davis' game. IMO, he doesn't work with big guys well. He would make them move further from the basket for his drive and would make them pick and roll when he shoots. Rondo is different. He would dribble and pass the ball to whoever is open. That's where POB is very dangerous.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,805

Post#138 » by meatball sub » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Diogu is in Portland.
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#139 » by eloper » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:55 pm

DISCLAIMER: 2nd hand information to follow

I have a friend who lives in Minnesota and went to high school with POB. He knew POB decently well, and said he was always a pretty nice kid, but that he had absolutely no desire to play basketball. According to my friend, he started off playing football for the HS, but his father essentially forced him into playing basketball (due to his size), believing that he could earn himself a scholarship that way. From what I understand, his relationship with his father become somewhat strained due to basketball, with POB wanting to quit the team. Take this for what it's worth, as it's second hand information, and I hate using that whole "I have a friend who" phrase, but I'll let you decide if you want to believe what I have to say or not.

Nothing groundbreaking there by any means, but I'd be pretty concerned that POBs the type of guy who's simply showing up for a paycheck. If he didn't want to play basketball in High School, has been rumored to have a poor work ethic, what should make me think he's going to all of a sudden decide he wants to work hard? To me there are red flags up across the board for POB, and while I'd like to see him get it and put his talent together, I doubt that he wants to bad enough.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#140 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, a dude with an Irish-sounding name. Sign me up!

Hey, if O'Bryant can fill the Scot Pollard role, I'll consider it a great signing. Back up center, give fouls, take up space, play team defense, get a rebound or a block occasionally, and hustle. If not, then it's a low-risk-enough endeavor to not cripple the team in the future.

Good signing. Hopefully some Celtic Pride rubs off on the kid.

Return to Boston Celtics