All-Star Game

Moderator: TyCobb

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Re: All-Star Game 

Post#121 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 am

SportsWorld wrote:Why didn't Braun use Derrick Turnbow?

Because the object of the guy throwing is to get the ball over the plate.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#122 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 am

Lousy night to be an atheist? WTF does that mean? If I find religion will I smash homeruns like Josh Hamilton? Is my lack of faith hindering my ability to hit taters?

lousy night to be an atheist. who is this guy
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#123 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 am

studcrackers=epic fail
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#124 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 am

The only epic fail tonight was Rick Reilly. That was by far the worst commentary I've ever heard during a sporting event. How many "I'm trying to be funny but I don't know how to be" things did this guy say tonight? Not to mention the fact that he gave Josh Hamilton nothing but backhanded compliments and it got to the point where it was just flat out pathetic. We get it, Josh is a drug addict.

Note to Rick Reilly: You don't need to say how he's "a heroin and crack addict" and how great of a story it is twice in a five minute span. Just because you thought it was funny doesn't mean it was, and it definitely shouldn't be repeated in case somebody didn't hear it. The worst part is that Hamilton isn't even a heroin addict, he's addicted to cocaine and crack. Read up on what you're talking about because "drugs" doesn't always mean heroin...and if you're going to say something stupid, at least say it correctly. Stick to writing where you can have your material edited because tonight proved that you're truly an unfunny bastard.

Sure he won't read that, but **** him anyway.
BillsGiants_Rep
Junior
And1: 0

Post#125 » by BillsGiants_Rep » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:42 am

Agreed, never liked Rick Reilly to begin with. The most overrated sportswriter there is today
Brother Mouzone: You're the perfect bait. They will view you as conflicted, you're homophobia is so visceral.

Lamar: See that. I haven't even walked in the place yet and you're already calling me a c0cksucker.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#126 » by SportsWorld » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:48 am

ESPN failed big time tonight.
"All 8 hitters tonight are white"
"Not a nice night to be an atheist tonight"
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#127 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 am

Yeah he said something about how it looked like a Kiwanis meeting because there weren't any other races represented. I mean, give me a break. The comment didn't bother me, I would've actually found it funny had it been executed better. He just sounded like a prick.

The "who needs steroids?" comment was another that I just shook my head at. It's amazing how a guy who is known as "funny" has no comedic timing whatsoever and doesn't have any idea of where or when not to say certain things.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#128 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:31 am

Glad to read, that I wasn't the only one who noticed. Rick Reilly sucked it up when making his little comments. He's a fine writer, or was in SI, I haven't read his stuff lately. But this ESPN ("not all sportswriters are household names") lovefest needs to stop. Geez, they got hall of famers on sportscenter, but this guy gets a commercial? What the ****??

RR: All 8 hitters are white
Karl Ravech: Well that is an interesting thought.
king a
Junior
And1: 0

Post#129 » by king a » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8chvkid ... -that.html

WOW THE BLOGS ARE GOING OFF ON HIM THIS IS AS BAD AS HIS STATEMENT ON WHY BART STAR AND TROY AIKMAN SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOF ON DP SHOW A FEW YEARS AGO.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#130 » by Stanford » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 am

Yeah, I found the 'white hitters' part really uncomfortable.

I found it funny that buddy went 'Rick Reilly of ESPN' near the end of that clip, as if to say 'direct your emails here'.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#131 » by SportsWorld » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:25 am

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#132 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 am

I just can't be surprised at the clowns ESPN throws out onto their TV coverage, anymore, while the talented commentators are shoved to the radio booth. I work at an ESPN Radio station that was carrying the Derby tonight, and while I was getting a little annoyed with them doing interviews on the radio (doesn't work so well on the radio), Dan Shulman, Dave Campbell, and Peter Pasquerelli were great to listen to. Gary Thorne gets pushed into the radio booth, too.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 am

Anyone catch the presentation when the state farm guy called morneau, Jason? Happens all the time, some big exec will get the players name wrong. But Erin Andrews reaction was priceless, she made this eek face.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#134 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:03 am

Papelbon, though, seemed to believe that Boston's championship a year ago not only ensured Terry Francona's place as the American League manager, but him being the closer.

"We've both earned that right; us, by winning the World Series and having the opportunity of having our manager there and our team being represented, and Mariano by what he's done for this role, we're in Yankee Stadium and blah, blah, blah," Papelbon said. "It's not that easy. Everybody thinks it's a cut and dry answer, but it's not."

So I think it is safe to say that Papelbon will receive some of the loudest boos ever heard at Yankee Stadium tonight.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 pm

"Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

That was paps comment afterwards.

I guess the daily news missed that one.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,530

Post#136 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Stanford wrote:Lousy night to be an atheist? WTF does that mean? If I find religion will I smash homeruns like Josh Hamilton? Is my lack of faith hindering my ability to hit taters?

lousy night to be an atheist. who is this guy

Take a Xanax and don't put so much significance on throwaway statements.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#137 » by jeff1624 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:57 pm

I LOL through out the whole article.

It'll be even sweeter when my fellow yankees fans boo the hell out of him tonight.
Dat Leadership
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#138 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:"Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

That was paps comment afterwards.

I guess the daily news missed that one.

No, they have that in the Daily News article.

After his 50-minute media session, Papelbon backtracked on his statements, telling the Boston Globe that he had had a change of heart after answering questions on the subject for the better part of an hour.

Papelbon grabbed the Boston reporter's tape recorder, held it to his mouth and said, "This is Jonathan Papelbon, closer of the Boston Red Sox. Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

So in summation, Papelbon thinks he should close but after he faced an hour of questions about it he thinks Mo should close.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
VinnyTheMick
RealGM

Post#139 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Forget about the tradition (which Papelbon doesn't care about), forget about Mariano's postseason numbers, forget about all that. Mariano is the better closer. Let's not even look at career numbers, let's look at THIS season. Mariano > Papelbon. Who has the best numbers in the bigs right now for a closer? Mariano. Rodriguez may have the most saves but look at the historic numbers Mariano is putting up so far THIS season & it is an absolute no brainer. For Papelbon to dismiss Rivera's case as simply "it being the final year at Yankee Stadium blah blah blah" (exact quote) is disrespectful & a joke. Look at the numbers, Pap. You aren't deserving of being the closer for this game. Mo is.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#140 » by Da Schwab » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:17 pm

I think I'm going to fly up to NYC right now, and go put Icy Hot in Papsmear's jock.

Return to The General MLB Board