ImageImageImage

Tyrone Lue says we're cheap

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Re: Tyrone Lue says we're cheap 

Post#21 » by Banks2Pierce » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Chances are that Danny isn't getting the last say on these FA's, but people generally don't understand that we pay double the contract since we are over the lux tax.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#22 » by gocelts » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Ummmm thanks for the tip Lue, but im pretty sure Danny knows what he's doing. Getting paid an extra 600K to chew on your chair leg at the end of the bench next year clearly was the better deal for you.
~gocelts
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,042

Post#23 » by Bad-Thoma » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:41 am

I'll wait until training camp starts before I judge whether DA is cheap or not myself. Personally I'm glad he didn't overpay for anyone signed so far. Did Lue even really say that? Link anyone?
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#24 » by Maple Green » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:53 am

Cheap because we know the capacity of the player and how he contribute. Lue is sour graping.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#25 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:01 am

Good move by both sides. Lue gets more money and he'd probably be riding the bench behind Rondo and Marbury...
cinnamon
Starter
And1: 1

Post#26 » by cinnamon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:06 am

..... but not too cheap to put together a championship team in one year by paying the right amount for the right players.

cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#27 » by cisco » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:26 am

We are being cheap. That being said, I'm glad we were cheap with Lue because I'd rather have House or Dooling.
Jon_Bon
Senior
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Jon_Bon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 am

I've been one of the biggest critics of Ainge but I don't think he is being cheap here, he's being smart.

I don't think that Lue is the PG that turns our bench from solid to great. He wanted to eat into the MLE and I just don't think he's worth that.

For the doomsdayers out there, our bench isn't measured in the pre-season, it's measured come play-off time. Every year a vet shakes loose that wants out of a rebuilding team and wants a ring. That is when we need to strike. Obviously Marbury and Tinsley would on the list.

I think the other thing that Ainge has shown is that he has an eye on life after the big three. Look at how far Rondo and Perkins came along playing with those guys. I think that's why he signed POB over someone like Birdman. Playing with the big three will get extra out of younger players.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#29 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:56 am

In this case, the team was being frugal and as others have mentioned, it's more likely that LUE wasn't perceived as good enough to warrant the expenditure. Who-Rod did an excellent job illustrating what the ultimate cost would be.

And what has been discussed in other threads is the idea that the organization does not want to go beyond 2 years on any new acquisitions with sizeable costs. This, IMO, has much more to do with succession planning when Ray and Pierce are off their current contracts. This window of championship opportunity is fairly short and I think and hope that Ainge is targeting another big push around KG to extend the run by signing a premier free agent in the 2011 offseason or swapping Ray's contract in a package for a younger third "star" next offseason.

Maggette would have been the exception, had the Celts been fortunate to sign him at a below market value deal. His physical scoring style would have been ideal in allowing Pierce more luxury to remain on the perimeter rather than driving and drawing contact. That's taking it's toll at his age. I believe that soon, the C's may find themselves in a catch 22 unless they acquire or develop another slasher type scorer. Pierce either is going to try to avoid taking the punishment and expending the energy needed to get to the tin, or he likely will start regressing as his body will take longer to recouperate with age. I'm crossing my fingers that Walker can eventually fill this role. But from reading scouting reports, his handle needs a lot of work.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#30 » by Gomes3PC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:53 pm

I think it's pretty clear that Danny saw this as a pretty weak FA pool, outside of a few players like Maggette and PoZ. It's a shame we didn't get them but not surprising give that there are many more reckless GMs out there (heck, not too long ago we signed a ginger-haired PF for $15m!).

Lue probably has no understanding of the cap, so I am not surprised about it. Plus, the Bucks way overpaid him at that deal. He's a vet-minimum player in the strictest form of the definition. I liked him as a player more than House because he could actually play PG, but I am hardly heartbroken over his decision.
PPAW4Life
Banned User

Post#31 » by PPAW4Life » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Lue is a vet he's not a marginal player who is going to take the vet min.

The Vet min. is for guys like PJ Brown and Gary Payton...guys on the brink of RETIREMENT.

C's should feel so lucky that House and Posey signed for so cheap last year.

Now we just toss them aside because we're over the luxury.

Fact is the C's have won banner 17 and do not feel the need to spend anymore to win another one.

We are going to go into next season with the Big 3...our young guys and some more young guys and hope to repeat.
Al-Haqq
Starter

Post#32 » by Al-Haqq » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Some of you guys are funny ...

1st it's "We should try sign Lue as a back-up PG"

then he signs with the Bucks and all of a sudden it's: "He sucks anyways"

We need a PG - a veteran one.

PENNY HARDAWAY? [not as a pg, but a SF]

Thoughts?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#33 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Al-Haqq wrote:Some of you guys are funny ...

1st it's "We should try sign Lue as a back-up PG"

then he signs with the Bucks and all of a sudden it's: "He sucks anyways"

We need a PG - a veteran one.

PENNY HARDAWAY? [not as a pg, but a SF]

Thoughts?

They said he sucks because he made a crack at celtics brass. Not because he chose milwaukee. At least I think. I mean if lue chooses mil, your bitter. But when lue makes fun of us, your pissed.

Why are we talking about this guy anyway... if it wasn't for an old video game where I had to play streetball against this guy in the first level I wouldn't know who he is.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#34 » by meatball sub » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:54 pm

It's funny how so many guys in the NBA think they're better than they really are. In this case, Tyrone Lue doesn't realize that he sucks ass...
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#35 » by ryaningf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Tyronne Lue? Come on. The guy played OK defense on Iverson about 8 years ago in the Finals, and he can make an occasional 3 pointer (at a 38% clip throughout his career). And he has decent point guard skills. He's also small and fragile and losing a step as we speak. But on this team, behind Rondo and probably Pruitt, it only makes GOOD BUSINESS sense to sign someone for the minimum because they're hardly going to play anyway. Frankly, someone willing to come to Boston to take just the minimum is already showing the sacrifice needed to win a championship and they're the exact kind of player we're looking for. If Lue wants to go to Milwaukee, ride the bench, and be lucky to make the playoffs, all for $600,000, then let him. He's not a winner and he's not a Celtic. It's that simple.

Now, if we were talking about someone who would actually play meaningful minutes and help this team win games consistently, then it would be a different story. Ownership has shown a willingness to pay for good players. But Lue is a marginal player and he only deserves a minimum contract.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#36 » by Celtic Esquire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Lue can kiss my butt. He's a useless scrub who plays worse defense than Dan Dickau.

I wouldn't sign him for $1 let alone whatever the hell he's asking for. I don't know why he thinks, along with some of the posters on this board, that he's somehow the second coming of Tiny Archibald.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#37 » by gocelts » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Lue is worth no more than the minimum on this team, his little rant simply comes from not being tall enough to get on the big boy rides at the amusement park.

Lue is so short you can see his feet on his drivers license photo.
~gocelts

Return to Boston Celtics