ImageImageImageImageImage

Yankees acquire Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

tjm384
Veteran
And1: 36

Yankees acquire Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte 

Post#1 » by tjm384 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:02 am

The Yankees have reportedly acquired both Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte from the Pirates.
No word yet on the return, but Melky Cabrera is still in the game for the Bombers. The team's top prospect, Austin Jackson, might be involved for that kind of return. The Yankees figure to have Nady rotate between the outfield and DH, but he'll be an everyday player. Marte will help set up for Mariano Rivera. The Pirates could make John Grabow their new closer and Steve Pearce their right fielder.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,345

Re: Yankees acquire Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte 

Post#2 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:03 am

tabata, ohlerndoff, and 2 other prospects.

EDIT: one of the other player is contos?? i'm guessing nykgm knows him or something.
ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#3 » by ijag23 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:04 am

No way its for Jackson. SI is reporting Tabata and Ohlendorf.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PR07 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 am

Hurts to lose Tabata, but I think the kid needed a change of scenery.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#5 » by TKF » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 am

who is a better project.. tabata or jackson..
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#6 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:17 am

TKF wrote:who is a better project.. tabata or jackson..

jackson is having a better year but tabata has the more upside.

tabata is 19 years old and in double a, fernando martinez struggled last year in double a as well but is doing better this year(hitting .301) i'll let you know what the other player is in the deal.

it's funny, i was gonna post this earlier but didn't wanted to ... i found out about this on metsrefugees by 7:40 since there's a met fan there who works with mlb.com.
-------------------------------------------------

nady and marte for tabata, ohlerndoff, and coke.
ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#7 » by ijag23 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:30 am

George Kontos is the other prospect.

Not too thrilled about giving up Tabata but I guess they soured on him with the recent issues he's had.
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#8 » by Slamm Goodbody » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:30 am

Great trade. I'm not thrilled we lost Tabata but we just upgraded our roster big time.
Mardy Collins Superfan
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by TKF » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:31 am

blueNorange wrote:
TKF wrote:who is a better project.. tabata or jackson..

jackson is having a better year but tabata has the more upside.

tabata is 19 years old and in double a, fernando martinez struggled last year in double a as well but is doing better this year(hitting .301) i'll let you know what the other player is in the deal.

it's funny, i was gonna post this earlier but didn't wanted to ... i found out about this on metsrefugees by 7:40 since there's a met fan there who works with mlb.com.
-------------------------------------------------

nady and marte for tabata, ohlerndoff, and coke.

thanks, at least we didn't part with any of our young big arms, but I liked what I heard about tabata, that kid may turn out to be a monster...
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#10 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:36 am

you guys will love nady, good player. good vs the lefties and solid outfielder that can also play 1b and i'm pretty sure the mets used him at 3b in a spring training game.

he's playing over his head right now but he's good for .280 20 and 70 which are very good numbers. good player with risp as well.

he was also a ladies man in new york, i remember the next day when got traded a lot of female met fans showing their displeasure for the trade and i remember one crying.

imo marte is the prize in the deal because outside of rivera, yankees had a load of caca(no offense). great trade, pirates organization sucks and i wonder if the mets can get jason bay on the cheap now :D
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by HCYanks » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:48 am

Ugh. Considering Tabata's issues, this isn't a disaster of a trade, but truth be told Nady isn't that good. He's having a career year this year and will probably crash back to being an average-at-best corner outfielder next year. And I don't care if he's a lefty, Marte was not a goddamn need.

We could've had Barry Bonds.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#12 » by jeff1624 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 am

blueNorange wrote:you guys will love nady, good player. good vs the lefties and solid outfielder that can also play 1b and i'm pretty sure the mets used him at 3b in a spring training game.

he's playing over his head right now but he's good for .280 20 and 70 which are very good numbers. good player with risp as well.

he was also a ladies man in new york, i remember the next day when got traded a lot of female met fans showing their displeasure for the trade and i remember one crying.

imo marte is the prize in the deal because outside of rivera, yankees had a load of caca(no offense). great trade, pirates organization sucks and i wonder if the mets can get jason bay on the cheap now :D

How so???

Most of our guys have ERA's below 3. Top 5 bullpen so far.
Dat Leadership
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#13 » by blueNorange » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 am

my bad, haven't really checked the yanks bp in a while ... marte will make it better then since everyone with slot down an inning.

is that better??
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#14 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:21 am

horrible trade...nady? seriously? the dude is a scrub
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#15 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:29 am

Good trade.

It's a great trade if Tabata turns out to be a bust.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,012

Post#16 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:35 am

it doesnt address our biggest need of SP, it reinforces our O (which if getting better) and our pen (which is great).....so we give up one of our better prospects (yea he had a down year but still) and at the same time dont fill in our biggest need...i wouldve been ok if he was included in a trade to get a SP....but this trade was unncessary
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#17 » by jeff1624 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:37 am

Right handed OF wasn't a big need, a solid lefty out of the pen wasn't a need?

We gave up Tabata, who hasn't shown much, ohlendorf a guy who sucked for us this year and too unknown pitchers. Big deal.

Steal IMO.
Dat Leadership
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#18 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:40 am

Pharmcat wrote:horrible trade...nady? seriously? the dude is a scrub

Since when is a guy with a a career .800 OPS a scrub?
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by TKF » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:42 am

jeff1624 wrote:Right handed OF wasn't a big need, a solid lefty out of the pen wasn't a need?

We gave up Tabata, who hasn't shown much, ohlendorf a guy who sucked for us this year and too unknown pitchers. Big deal.

Steal IMO.

ESPN reported that teams are griping about this deal, saying the yankees gave up way to little to get two quality players like nady and marte.. LOL... No top prospect arms moved at all..

wow....
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#20 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:43 am

Well everybody knows how I feel about Tabata, so I was kind of disappointed when I heard Kay say his name. But to get something, you have to give something up. And we just got probably the best reliever on the market who just so happens to be a lefty, and Nady can definitely provide some much needed pop from the right side as a corner outfielder.

If Tabata gets healthy and gets his head straight, he can be a stud down the road if he begins to show more power. I have faith that the Yankees wouldn't give him up unless they have really soured on him, so I trust Cashman and co.

As for the others, nothing but mid-level prospects who might be middle relievers in the majors, which we have more than enough of. I am a Kontos fan, but he is as replaceable as a mid-level prospect can get.

The only way to put it is that we definitely upgraded our roster a lot with the trade, although that certainly comes with a cost such as Tabata. I think I am kind of indifferent with the trade, and only the future of Tabata can say whether we won it or lost it, but we won't know for a solid 5+ years about that. We didn't give up anything from our roster, so the trade has to be a plus for now.

EDIT:
Also, now everybody can be quiet and stop saying things like "Cashman has to stop holding onto all these top prospects and get something out of them."

Return to New York Yankees