Official Trade Proposal Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: Official Trade Proposal Thread 

Post#181 » by IggyTheBEaST » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
IggyTheBEaST wrote:I (and im sure all of you) would do Iggy and our 09 1st for Joe Johnson in a heartbeat

Absolutely not

care to explain yourself.

Are you doubting JJ is a superior player? Or are you over rating our extremely low 1st rounder next year?
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#182 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Certainly, it's both.

Johnson is nearly 3 years older and has played 7000 more minutes. Iguodala had a better year than Johnson last year. JJ puts the ball in the basket, but Andre is more efficient and is a better rebounder and causes more turnovers. Andre's PER was nearly two points higher, his WP48 is much better, and most would agree he's a better defensive player. Joe Johnson had some really good players on his team last year and yet his team won less games.

Johnson is being paid the max the next two years. After that he'll be a free agent and he'll want another 5 year deal at the max, and he sure as hell won't take a pay cut when he's in his "prime." I don't want to pay Johnson the max for his age 27 and 28 seasons, much less for his 29-34 seasons.

Iguodala isn't going to get the max because no one can give him the max. He will get a contract that is reasonable.

And we're the ones giving up the 1st round pick when we don't even know if Brand is healthy? Please.
jmon
Junior

Post#183 » by jmon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:23 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Certainly, it's both.

Johnson is nearly 3 years older and has played 7000 more minutes. Iguodala had a better year than Johnson last year. JJ puts the ball in the basket, but Andre is more efficient and is a better rebounder and causes more turnovers. Andre's PER was nearly two points higher, his WP48 is much better, and most would agree he's a better defensive player. Joe Johnson had some really good players on his team last year and yet his team won less games.

Johnson is being paid the max the next two years. After that he'll be a free agent and he'll want another 5 year deal at the max, and he sure as hell won't take a pay cut when he's in his "prime." I don't want to pay Johnson the max for his age 27 and 28 seasons, much less for his 29-34 seasons.

Iguodala isn't going to get the max because no one can give him the max. He will get a contract that is reasonable.

And we're the ones giving up the 1st round pick when we don't even know if Brand is healthy? Please.

But Johnson has a high PPG total and did you not see the playoffs? Joe Johnson could not be stopped!!
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#184 » by IggyTheBEaST » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:28 am

nobody is gonna argue that iggy is a better defender than johnson is but joe is equal or better in every other aspect of the game, including shooting which is our teams biggest downfall

(btw im not on the trade iggy train but if a good deal comes along for a stud like JJ, and iggy is still being greedy it would be tough not to consider it. maybe the yes in a heartbeat statement was a little strong but im sure you would agree joe is a much better fit at sg, where iggy is a natural 3)
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#185 » by PowerElite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 am

jmon wrote:
But Johnson has a high PPG total and did you not see the playoffs? Joe Johnson could not be stopped!!

Joe Johnson had one awesome playoff series, Dala disappointed us. :cry:
Playoff performances are weighted more heavily than regular season production.

Joe Johnson is overpaid as a regular season player even though he has been to All Star games.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#186 » by Philly_King » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:38 am

dbodner wrote:
Remeber Okafor would be BYC so they take back half his deal in the salary match. So a 12M okafor is 6M of our salaries going back. Matt Carroll makes 5M. The deal still needs to satisfy CBA (125% +100K) so we'll need to be in the 11M range

We'd actually need to get in the $17 million range.

Here's a simple example.
Charlotte:
Outgoing:
Okafor: $6 million (1/2 of $12 million)
Carroll: $5 million
Total: $11 million

Incoming:
dalembert: 11 million.

11 million x 1.25+100k = 13,850,000, which is greater than 11, so it works from that perspective. But, from our perspective:
Incoming:
Okafor: $12 million
Carroll: 5 million
Total: $17 million

Outgoing:
Dalembert: $11 million

$11 million x 1.25 +100k = 13,850,000, which is less than the incoming salary (17 million), so it doesn't work.

If we trade $13.85 million (the max charlotte can receive for that package), the most we can take back is $17.31 million. So it could actually work if you get the #'s just right.

That's actually quite an interesting scenario. It seems like Okafor is all but gone from Charlotte so they might as well get what they can this year rather than risk him leaving next year for nothing.
Brown is a fan of Dalembert and they'd get a 10/10 C to replace OKafor so that might make a lot of sense from their prospective. For the salaries to work we'd have to take back someone elses contract instead of Carroll or involve Smith/Green etc in(I'm sure that could be worked out)
As far as my opinion of Okafor goes, well, I'd definitely prefer him to Sammy and would probably offer him 12-13m easily. The guy is young, MUCH better than Daly on offense, good defender and a very good rebounder. He averaged 15/11 in his rookie year which is amazingly good. Besides, an Okafor/Brand frontcourt would be one of, if not the, best big man duo in the NBA.
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#187 » by Phillyboy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Can I jump in on this JJ conversation between Iggy and Sixerscan?

As good as JJ is he's the older player. If anything WE get a pick back.

Second, the pesky real world factor. (Screws up these fantasy trades almost every time!) Igoudala in a sign and trade is half salary going out. That means it's Igoudala and Evans for JJ and a pick (or similar). Atlanta would need to commit to Igoudala long term and big bucks and still haven't signed Smith yet.

No way Atlanta's ownership does this. I'd like JJ but we'd have to take a different route.
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
StormxShadow
Freshman

Post#188 » by StormxShadow » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 pm

I agree with you King. This needs to happen like yesterday.

Dalembert is an athletic center, but Okafor is so much more. He makes Sammy look uncoordinated by comparison. And, Okafor and Brand is much better suited to take on Boston because of their gerth, then a Dalembert who will get pushed around and to the outside.

And, we get Carroll, sure, I'll take him. He's better than that Royal Ivey any day. Can Ivey get cut? Is that possible? I never liked guys like him and the Lue's and the Buckner's and Willie Green's of the NBA. That level of player is just irksome.

Philly_King wrote:
dbodner wrote:
Remeber Okafor would be BYC so they take back half his deal in the salary match. So a 12M okafor is 6M of our salaries going back. Matt Carroll makes 5M. The deal still needs to satisfy CBA (125% +100K) so we'll need to be in the 11M range

We'd actually need to get in the $17 million range.

Here's a simple example.
Charlotte:
Outgoing:
Okafor: $6 million (1/2 of $12 million)
Carroll: $5 million
Total: $11 million

Incoming:
dalembert: 11 million.

11 million x 1.25+100k = 13,850,000, which is greater than 11, so it works from that perspective. But, from our perspective:
Incoming:
Okafor: $12 million
Carroll: 5 million
Total: $17 million

Outgoing:
Dalembert: $11 million

$11 million x 1.25 +100k = 13,850,000, which is less than the incoming salary (17 million), so it doesn't work.

If we trade $13.85 million (the max charlotte can receive for that package), the most we can take back is $17.31 million. So it could actually work if you get the #'s just right.

That's actually quite an interesting scenario. It seems like Okafor is all but gone from Charlotte so they might as well get what they can this year rather than risk him leaving next year for nothing.
Brown is a fan of Dalembert and they'd get a 10/10 C to replace OKafor so that might make a lot of sense from their prospective. For the salaries to work we'd have to take back someone elses contract instead of Carroll or involve Smith/Green etc in(I'm sure that could be worked out)
As far as my opinion of Okafor goes, well, I'd definitely prefer him to Sammy and would probably offer him 12-13m easily. The guy is young, MUCH better than Daly on offense, good defender and a very good rebounder. He averaged 15/11 in his rookie year which is amazingly good. Besides, an Okafor/Brand frontcourt would be one of, if not the, best big man duo in the NBA.
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#189 » by nba_addict » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:56 am

Hi guys, Suns fan here and I would like to hear your opinion on this trade. I hear Philly is looking for a shooter/scorer and I think Barbosa can fill the void and even start for your team. Willie Green and Maresse Speights for Barbosa?

Miller / Williams
Barbosa / Iggy
Iggy / Thad
Brand / Evans
Dalambert / Smith
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#190 » by ITK9 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 am

^the trade is interesting but finally we pass.Speights was too impresive in the Summer legaue to be traded
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,628

Post#191 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:09 pm

I think the only way we get Barbosa is if we deal Iguodala in return. Then we would need something else other than just Barbosa in return.
geiger
Banned User

Post#192 » by geiger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Okafor is not an NBA center. He's a defensive minded power forward - a Kenyon Martin type with a little more size and a slightly better shot blocker. He's not a center. He and Brand would be a terrible combination - they would be undersized and would duplicate each other in the lane. Dalembert and Brand fit perfectly together. Now we have to find a way to get some shooting infused into our team. Namely, move Miller and look for smart minimum wage signings. See if we can get anything for Reggie Evans - maybe Brian Cook and JJ Reddick.
Rickdiculous
Sophomore

Post#193 » by Rickdiculous » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 pm

geiger wrote:Namely, move Miller and look for smart minimum wage signings.

I wouldn't want to pencil in Louis Williams as our starting point guard yet. Miller was huge for us last year, and while he is older, I think he can give the same productivity as he did last year while still providing that veteran presence and sound decision making.

Plus he's played with Elton Brand before, so it'll be interesting to see those two paired up again.
geiger
Banned User

Post#194 » by geiger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:23 pm

He did play with Elton Brand before and they were terrible together, with a team whose performance was far below expectations, with Miller leaving at the end of the year, so let's hope history won't repeat itself.

If we deal Miller, it doesn't mean we got with Lou as our lone and only full time PG. We lose Miller after next season for nothing and we're screwed. We'll only have about $3 million under the cap and because we will be under the cap, we won't have the ability to use the MLE or the LLE. Or we can re-sign Miller, who doesn't seem to love it on the East Coast, and give him a 3 or 4 year deal that he wants, which will pay him in the $10 million per year range into his mid to late 30s and watch a team that doesn't fit together. We either have to re-sign him to an extension before he enters free agency or we need to trade him. Because we need to use that MLE and LLE next season if we hope to take that next step.

I wouldn't mind seeing if Cleveland would take Miller, Green and Evans for Pavlovic, sign and traded Delonte West, and Wally Sczerbiak and his huge expiring contract. We would free up some cap space, get some shooters and I think we can be effective with Iggy at the 2 and West, Williams and Ivey at the point.
Phillyboy
Analyst

Post#195 » by Phillyboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:00 am

geiger wrote:He did play with Elton Brand before and they were terrible together, with a team whose performance was far below expectations, with Miller leaving at the end of the year, so let's hope history won't repeat itself.

If we deal Miller, it doesn't mean we got with Lou as our lone and only full time PG. We lose Miller after next season for nothing and we're screwed. We'll only have about $3 million under the cap and because we will be under the cap, we won't have the ability to use the MLE or the LLE. Or we can re-sign Miller, who doesn't seem to love it on the East Coast, and give him a 3 or 4 year deal that he wants, which will pay him in the $10 million per year range into his mid to late 30s and watch a team that doesn't fit together. We either have to re-sign him to an extension before he enters free agency or we need to trade him. Because we need to use that MLE and LLE next season if we hope to take that next step.

I wouldn't mind seeing if Cleveland would take Miller, Green and Evans for Pavlovic, sign and traded Delonte West, and Wally Sczerbiak and his huge expiring contract. We would free up some cap space, get some shooters and I think we can be effective with Iggy at the 2 and West, Williams and Ivey at the point.

Man you're stuck on moving our PG. Sorry but I'll disagree strongly. I've made my position clear in regard to Miller so there's no sense in repeating. Keeping Andre Miller is a good basketball and a good business move.

If he leaves next year we're not "screwed" at all.

If we let him leave it's because we feel we can fill his spot with a younger guy (LW?) and take his 10M off our books. The Sixers are probably figuring for this possibility now as they negotiate long term deals with our two RFAs.

And again, if you must trade him you do it at the deadline when his return value is highest. His big expiring contract and his penchant for re-organizing young teams may draw some very interesting offers. Right now we're best taking the team we have into the season and then adjust under battle conditions.

And hey Geiger- You're one of the lousiest stiffs to ever lace up a pair of sneakers! :D
geiger
Banned User

Post#196 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 am

Give the fella a break. He had a nice season with the Sixers. :D

As for Miller, we will be screwed if he leaves. If Williams is not ready or not capable, we won't necessarily keep Miller - he has to want to stay - he's unrestricted. As we saw with Brand, sometimes even the most money offered isn't enough. We saw Baron leave Golden State because he wanted to be home in LA. And don't overstate Miller's value - when you say he has a positive effect on young teams, that doesn't involve the Cavaliers or the Clippers and success in Denver coincided with Carmelo Anthony's arrival, not Miller's. He had a career year at 32. I wouldn't bet on a repeat at 33. And don't forget, he walks or isn't re-signed before the season is over, and we don't get to use our MLE or LLE next season. Trades at the deadline are much more difficult to make under the current system - the lack of big deadline deals over the past few years evidences that. There is usually one or two big moves a few weeks before the deadline and then nothing - a stiff for a second round pick. And if you're competing against one of those big moves with a guy like Miller, you might lose out. I'd rather make the move now and see what we got and who is capable of doing what, including giving Williams a chance to be the starting PG. This team as constituted now can't win - it needs a shooter in the starting line-up. Between Iggy, Young and Miller, I move the guy who in his 30's.
Phillyboy
Analyst

Post#197 » by Phillyboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:03 am

We'll continue to disagree about Andre Miller but let's keep talking about trade strategy for a moment. No offense, but I don't believe your assessment of a deadline trade is accurate in this case.

There are many theories around the art of negotiation. I've applied many different tactics over my career and one of my own observations is that the most dangerous guy in the meeting is the one who has nothing to lose.

If we trade him we'll get value. (Best value out of teams itching to make a move) if we don't we take the expiring. You may not think that's value but I'm sure a GM running a team for the long term would diagree. As eager as you are to turn over personnel we cannot ignore our responsibilities to "turn over" the payroll when occasion arises and even plan for it. That's how you keep a core of players long term and even give you some options down the road

This is another reason why it's very important to develop Lou Williams this year. If he's ready to assume a starting role we can negotiate from even a greater position of strength. We don't need to settle for best offer we now command our price.

A powerful driver in negotiation is time. Who has the deadline and therefore must blink first? If they want the big expiring (to take off their books) they better jump before February 23rd or this contract is gone forever.

If there is no driver compelling US to make a deal NOW then we wait until the conditions for sale are the most advantegeous to us the seller.That's at the deadline.

The deadline would mean much more to the team trying to acquire Miller than to us (our position- trade him or keep him, it's all the same to us)
geiger
Banned User

Post#198 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:45 pm

You're leaving other another important consideration though - last year, Andre Miller had a career season. If he goes back to his average career numbers this season, his value drops further and we get less for him at the trade deadline than we would now. Also, if he should get injured, which is a possibility in light of his turning 33 this year, that would prevent us from trading him all together. I hear what you're saying about waiting until the deadline, but I think we could get more for him before the season starts than we would at the deadline, when trading him might become an impossibility.
geiger
Banned User

Post#199 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:22 pm

I see Knicks are about to trade Renaldo Balkman to Denver for Taureen Green and Bobby Jones only to waive them. I wonder if we can send rights to Edin Bavcic and Ricky Sanchez to New York for Balkman. Better deal for them since they won't have to spend a penny on cutting those two and we get a solid, defensive minded small foward to back up Young.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#200 » by sixers hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:43 pm

geiger wrote:I see Knicks are about to trade Renaldo Balkman to Denver for Taureen Green and Bobby Jones only to waive them. I wonder if we can send rights to Edin Bavcic and Ricky Sanchez to New York for Balkman. Better deal for them since they won't have to spend a penny on cutting those two and we get a solid, defensive minded small foward to back up Young.

Wouldn't we still have to match salaries? Sanchez and Bacvic are not signed and wouldn't count as outgoing salary. Therefore, we are over the cap and couldn't accept Balkman without sending out actual salary.

If this trade is possible, I would do it. I just don't know about the possible snag I mentioned.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers