Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bballmaniac27
Starter
And1: 4

Re: Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD" 

Post#81 » by bballmaniac27 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Pierce isn't even lose to being #1 in the world, but I have no problems w/ his way of thinking. Sometimes in order to succeed, professional athletes have to believe that they're the best. It's all about mentality.
~ TeRRoR SquaD ~
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#82 » by ~ TeRRoR SquaD ~ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Cybulski37 wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Why should Paul Pierce short change himself after winning finals MVP and playing great defense on the guy many think is the best?

He played great defense against probably the best player, before both of them decided "**** this ****, I'm filling the basket." and scored 40+ points in game seven. Both of them played great defense in that series until then.

Then he shut down Kobe and won Finals MVP. I dunno if he's the best, but as long as he's not cocky about it, there's no problem with it. What should he say "Yeah, KG and Ray and all those good bench players who signed for minimums carried me to a ring, I'm really not that good" Basketball is all about confidence, as long as you're not too cocky.[/quote]

Where was he one year ago without KG, Allen and the vet minimum guys..thats right!
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#83 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Even if he's not the best player in the world, you all would say he's a chump if he said so and so is better then him. Every player in the NBA should believe they are the best, if they don't, they'll just get star struck and role over whenever guys like Lebron or Kobe come to town. I'm not a huge Pierce fan, but good for him.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#84 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:23 pm

With Pierce's improved defense, I think it's fair to consider him a fringe top-10 player (whereas in prior seasons, he was a top-15 player) but to even attempt to argue that he is the best player in this league is beyond absurd. I like Pierce. He's, in my opinion, one of the more entertaining players to watch, but he isn't even the best player on his own team (Garnett). He out-played Bryant in the Finals but 6 games a better player does not make.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#85 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:26 pm

When asked like his favorite 5 players in the league didnt he also say Perkins/KG/Allen/Rondo/Pierce, get over it people he was just joking and having a good time and to tell you the truth I dont blame him.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:When asked like his favorite 5 players in the league didnt he also say Perkins/KG/Allen/Rondo/Pierce, get over it people he was just joking and having a good time and to tell you the truth I dont blame him.

I don't think people are even arguing about Pierce's comments. They're arguing over the people who take what Pierce said seriously and agree with him.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#87 » by Alex_De_Large » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 pm

ok hes better than tony parker or billups, but i didn't see these 2 guys saying so stupid things after win mvp finals.
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#88 » by Cybulski37 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:30 pm

legacyinthemakin89c wrote:Even if he's not the best player in the world, you all would say he's a chump if he said so and so is better then him. Every player in the NBA should believe they are the best, if they don't, they'll just get star struck and role over whenever guys like Lebron or Kobe come to town. I'm not a huge Pierce fan, but good for him.

Yeah, like I said, confidence is everything, in all sports. I play/played football, and there was one guy I played with who was always down on himself, never built on criticism, anything. And you know what? He sucked. But one time we played a scrub team, and there was a scrub player across from him and he totally dominated that scrub. Another guy was a little bit stronger, but also two years younger, a sophomore playing against almost all juniors and seniors. But he wasn't afraid of anyone and played really really well after just a short adjustment.
PP34RA10
Banned User

Post#89 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 pm

if he isnt the best he is most definetly top 5

Bryant
Lebron
Pierce
Duncan
Paul

are top 5

theres no way u put Tmac,Wade,Nowitzki,Nash,Iverson,Mello,Howard,Manu,Parker,Bosh,Carter,Hamilton,Johnson ahead of Pierce
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#90 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 pm

"Tmac,Wade,Nowitzki,Nash,Iverson,Mello,Howard,Manu,Parker,Bosh,Carter,Hamilton,Johnson ahead of Pierce"

There are some on the list that is the undisputed leader of the team that either led their team to the finals or are continuously contending in the playoffs. Pierce had one ECF appearance with the bomb away offense and was otherwise unremarkable. If Pierce shouldn't be blamed for having a bad team, why should he be praised for having two allstars on the team? Ray Allen finally playing like he did with the Sonics and KG's passion to fuel his teammates was as big of a factor as Pierce's performance to win the title.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:43 pm

PP34RA10 wrote:if he isnt the best he is most definetly top 5

Bryant
Lebron
Pierce
Duncan
Paul

are top 5

theres no way u put Tmac,Wade,Nowitzki,Nash,Iverson,Mello,Howard,Manu,Parker,Bosh,Carter,Hamilton,Johnson ahead of Pierce

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Deron Williams
Steve Nash

There are 9 players I see as definitively better than Paul Pierce. Obviously, Wade wasn't better last season (since he was mired with injuries and a team vying for Beasley/Rose) but when healthy, it's just not a question. You could make a great argument that Ginobili is better considering his per-40 numbers are all better than Pierce's and that he plays comparable defense. Amare Stoudemire should also be in the equation as he put up nearly 30/11 with 2 and a half blocks per-40 minutes, though his defense isn't as good.
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#92 » by sarah42 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 pm

to whoever said posey had the best defense against kobe - wtf where you watching? ray allen was guarding kobe the most - he did the best job and then pierce did the second best job on kobe - posey more then pierce or allen let guys blow by him more - he's getting so overrated. a lot of ppl are forgetting just how great allen played on both sides of the ball in the finals and instead give posey the credit for the defense when posey averaged just around 20 minutes a game in the playoffs. this has just become another hate thread :roll: get over yourselves laker fans who have nothing better to do than diss a really talented player who beat you on one leg! in fact that whole team was tired and hurt and still could have swept your sorry asses! a lot of boston haters in the crowd? i don't blame ya - i'm a sad blue jays fan :( fyi - Pierce is the most important player on this team - ppl will debate about who is better btw kg or pp - but paul means more to that team and the distance btw kobe and paul really isn't that great so let it go kids
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#93 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Pierce is a joke for what he said.
For starters he said this is Spain which shows what a coward he is, if he was the best player then why is it that he has been in the league for almost 10 years and he couldnt take the Cs to the finals in all of those 10 years.
Also he basically took a dump a dump on K.G Ray Allen and the Cs. Nevertheless by him saying this he is placing himself above players like Lebron, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, C.P etc......which he is kidding himself if he actually thinks that.
One title and now all of a sudden he's the best player in the league,
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#94 » by BiggieSmalls » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:53 pm

that entire celtic team overrates themselves, kobe is 10x the player pierce is, thats why he has 3 rings and was able to lead a team on his own to the finals, unlike pierce whos' team basically was a cellar dwellaer before they added 2 HALL OF FAMERS, than he starts to look good, but what all star player wouldn't succeed in that situation.
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
PP34RA10
Banned User

Post#95 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

miller31time wrote:
PP34RA10 wrote:if he isnt the best he is most definetly top 5

Bryant
Lebron
Pierce
Duncan
Paul

are top 5

Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Deron Williams
Steve Nash

There are 9 players I see as definitively better than Paul Pierce. Obviously, Wade wasn't better last season (since he was mired with injuries and a team vying for Beasley/Rose) but when healthy, it's just not a question. You could make a great argument that Ginobili is better considering his per-40 numbers are all better than Pierce's and that he plays comparable defense. Amare Stoudemire should also be in the equation as he put up nearly 30/11 with 2 and a half blocks per-40 minutes, though his defense isn't as good.

Honestly, What has Deron williams done, and is that makes him better then pierce, gtfoh, same for steve nash, what has he done.

The facts are this

steve nash has played with - Dirk Nowitzki,Prime Micheal Finley,Antawn Jamison,Atoine Walker,Joe Johnson,Amare Stoudamire,Shawn Marion,Barbosa,Boris Diaw,Raja Bell prior to 2007-2008 season

Paul Pierce - Antoine Walker, Ricky Davis,Raef Lafrentz,Delonte West,Kenny Anderson,Wally Szerbiak,Vin Baker,Kedrick Brown,Gerald Green,Young Al jefferson. prior to 2007-2008

and Steve nash with all that talent to work with as a PG, he has failed to make the finals.

Pierce has been to the confrence finals twice and won the nba finals.

Pierce career statistics are some of the best ever in the league, currently he is like the 22 all time scoring average. and he is a winner.

Deron what has he done to be better then pierce???
PP34RA10
Banned User

Post#96 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 pm

sarah42 wrote:to whoever said posey had the best defense against kobe - wtf where you watching? ray allen was guarding kobe the most - he did the best job and then pierce did the second best job on kobe - posey more then pierce or allen let guys blow by him more - he's getting so overrated. a lot of ppl are forgetting just how great allen played on both sides of the ball in the finals and instead give posey the credit for the defense when posey averaged just around 20 minutes a game in the playoffs. this has just become another hate thread :roll: get over yourselves laker fans who have nothing better to do than diss a really talented player who beat you on one leg! in fact that whole team was tired and hurt and still could have swept your sorry asses! a lot of boston haters in the crowd? i don't blame ya - i'm a sad blue jays fan :( fyi - Pierce is the most important player on this team - ppl will debate about who is better btw kg or pp - but paul means more to that team and the distance btw kobe and paul really isn't that great so let it go kids

PP played by far the best D on kobe, then allen, then posey

PP shut kobe down .
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#97 » by BiggieSmalls » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:04 pm

sarah42 wrote:to whoever said posey had the best defense against kobe - wtf where you watching? ray allen was guarding kobe the most - he did the best job and then pierce did the second best job on kobe - posey more then pierce or allen let guys blow by him more - he's getting so overrated. a lot of ppl are forgetting just how great allen played on both sides of the ball in the finals and instead give posey the credit for the defense when posey averaged just around 20 minutes a game in the playoffs. this has just become another hate thread :roll: get over yourselves laker fans who have nothing better to do than diss a really talented player who beat you on one leg! in fact that whole team was tired and hurt and still could have swept your sorry asses! a lot of boston haters in the crowd? i don't blame ya - i'm a sad blue jays fan :( fyi - Pierce is the most important player on this team - ppl will debate about who is better btw kg or pp - but paul means more to that team and the distance btw kobe and paul really isn't that great so let it go kids

im not a lakers fan, im actually one of the biggest laker haters you will ever meet, but i hate the celtics more than i hate the lakers, and if you want to start talking about health during the finals, ur crazy because boston wasnt the team that was missing a 20/10, 7 footer in the middle. had the lakers been healthy than i guarantee that the lakers would have won the title.
PP34RA10
Banned User

Post#98 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 pm

BiggieSmalls wrote:

im not a lakers fan, im actually one of the biggest laker haters you will ever meet, but i hate the celtics more than i hate the lakers, and if you want to start talking about health during the finals, ur crazy because boston wasnt the team that was missing a 20/10, 7 footer in the middle. had the lakers been healthy than i guarantee that the lakers would have won the title.

ur a clown for that, when the **** has bynum averaged 20/10
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#99 » by sarah42 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:06 pm

PP34RA10 wrote:

PP shut kobe down .

ray allen was on kobe the most
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
PP34RA10
Banned User

Post#100 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 pm

sarah42 wrote:
PP34RA10 wrote:

PP shut kobe down .

ray allen was on kobe the most

yeah so, kobe lit allen up for like 15 consecutive points in like game 3 or 4 when allen was on him

pp clearly shut kobe down when he was on him, kobe was like 10-40 when pp was on him

Return to The General Board