ImageImageImageImageImage

BREAKING NEWS: MANNY TO LA

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

BREAKING NEWS: MANNY TO LA 

Post#1 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm

The Red Sox's have traded Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers... UPDATE SOON!!!

Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Brandon Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Re: BREAKING NEWS: MANNY TO LA 

Post#2 » by Jitpal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:41 pm

I like it. Jason Bay isn't that great. I think he hits under .200 against the Yankees. Added bonus, the Red Sox traded the best setup man in the AL according to Peter Gammons in Craig Hansen. The Dodgers are becoming a mixup of Yankees/Red Sox circa 2003. -Jitpal
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#3 » by meatball sub » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Craig Hansen might turn out alright in the NL, but he's got no control whatsoever at this point in his career. I don't really the deal for anybody but the Bo Sox (from an unbiased perspective). They give up two guys that really, IMO, aren't all that great and end up with Jason Bay entering his prime for a 36 year old Manny.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#4 » by Jitpal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Look at this another way. The Red Sox traded Manny(their best hitter), $7 million (to cover Manny's salary), Craig Hansen (setup guy for Papelbon), and Brandon Moss (promising AA OFer) all for Jason Bay. Hell of a deal for the Pirates also picking up Andy LaRoche. Don't think this puts the Dodgers over the top, D'backs still have better pitching. -Jitpal
Markos
Starter

Post#5 » by Markos » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Jitpal wrote:Look at this another way. The Red Sox traded Manny(their best hitter), $7 million (to cover Manny's salary), Craig Hansen (setup guy for Papelbon), and Brandon Moss (promising AA OFer) all for Jason Bay. Hell of a deal for the Pirates also picking up Andy LaRoche. Don't think this puts the Dodgers over the top, D'backs still have better pitching. -Jitpal

Craig Hansen is not a setup man for Papelbon. He is not very good..

brandon Moss is not a promising AA OFer...he regularly goes between AAA and Boston as a 4th OF....
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#6 » by jeff1624 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:55 pm

Craig hansen was bostons worst picther, he was never the set-up guy.

With that said, Boston has become irrelevant IMO. Without manny no teams are gonna pitch to Ortiz. I love this deal as a yankees fan.
Dat Leadership
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#7 » by HCYanks » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:00 pm

I think Hansen's a bust and I don't think Moss is going to be anything astonishing (a serviceable outfielder, maybe). They're going to get back most of Manny's production out of Bay, who's 6 years younger and still has one more cheap year on his deal. It's not a great move but given how desperate they were to move Manny the finished move isn't bad.

Oh, and the Dodgers now have an outfield of Manny, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Juan Pierre, and Andruw Jones. I'm not sure exactly how Torre will screw this up, but I know he's gonna. So that'll be entertaining.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#8 » by Jitpal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:00 pm

Markos wrote:
Jitpal wrote:Look at this another way. The Red Sox traded Manny(their best hitter), $7 million (to cover Manny's salary), Craig Hansen (setup guy for Papelbon), and Brandon Moss (promising AA OFer) all for Jason Bay. Hell of a deal for the Pirates also picking up Andy LaRoche. Don't think this puts the Dodgers over the top, D'backs still have better pitching. -Jitpal

Craig Hansen is not a setup man for Papelbon. He is not very good..

brandon Moss is not a promising AA OFer...he regularly goes between AAA and Boston as a 4th OF....

I don't know much about Moss, so I will defer to you there. However, Gammons was on record saying Hansen is the best setup man in baseball. So setting up for Papelbon I assume. Not that I agree with that assessment, but it is what Gammons said. -Jitpal
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#9 » by jeff1624 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Craig Hansen has a 5.58 ERA this season, 6.15 for his career. So I don't know what the hell gammons is smoking if he said that...
Dat Leadership
No. 12
Senior
And1: 1

Post#10 » by No. 12 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Boston gives up Manny, Moss, Hansen, 7 million and gets Bay only.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#11 » by Da Schwab » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 pm

This is the best trade the Yankees never made.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#12 » by DakkaFromNyc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm

everything seem to be going rite 4 da Yankees, if only we can find a way 2 beat the Angels
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#13 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:53 am

There is no way Gammons said that, he isn't even a setup man none the less a good one. Hansen has been a complete bust for Boston and they just threw him into the deal.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#14 » by TKF » Fri Aug 1, 2008 3:46 am

bove310 wrote:Craig Hansen might turn out alright in the NL, but he's got no control whatsoever at this point in his career. I don't really the deal for anybody but the Bo Sox (from an unbiased perspective). They give up two guys that really, IMO, aren't all that great and end up with Jason Bay entering his prime for a 36 year old Manny.

look at what jason bay bats at Yankee stadium, fenway and in LA.. these are the teams he may be facing in the playoffs.. manny was a yankee killer and a good postseason performer. Not even close. I am glad he is gone.. glad!!
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#15 » by HCYanks » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:13 am

TKF wrote:
bove310 wrote:Craig Hansen might turn out alright in the NL, but he's got no control whatsoever at this point in his career. I don't really the deal for anybody but the Bo Sox (from an unbiased perspective). They give up two guys that really, IMO, aren't all that great and end up with Jason Bay entering his prime for a 36 year old Manny.

look at what jason bay bats at Yankee stadium, fenway and in LA.. these are the teams he may be facing in the playoffs.. manny was a yankee killer and a good postseason performer. Not even close. I am glad he is gone.. glad!!

Bay has 30 PAs and 27 at-bats and Yankee Stadium and Fenway combined. You really think he's a bum off of that?
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#16 » by meatball sub » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:26 am

Yeah, the AL owns the NL so that's not surprising. There might be an adjustment period, but Bay is a very good hitter and one that has put up respectable numbers in Pittsburgh for the past few years. Pittsburgh's offense has been much better this season than in recent years, but Boston is a way better team and going somewhere that provides an opportunity at a ring definitely could make Bay become even more dangerous. I'm not convinced we've seen Bay's best years just yet. I would guess he's going to hit third with Papi behind him, so let's just say I'm not too thrilled that he's going to be spending them with the Red Sox...
8/24
Junior

Post#17 » by 8/24 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:24 pm

Jitpal wrote:I don't know much about Moss, so I will defer to you there. However, Gammons was on record saying Hansen is the best setup man in baseball. So setting up for Papelbon I assume. Not that I agree with that assessment, but it is what Gammons said. -Jitpal

Gammons never said that.....I watched ESPN and NESNjust about the whole day... and rejoiced at the news of Manny being traded. Good riddance with that Yankee Killer.

:rockon:

Return to New York Yankees