What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited ....

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited .... 

Post#1 » by JordansBulls » Thu Sep 4, 2008 3:29 pm

What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited about before the season began?

NOTE: This is before the season began.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Re: What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited .... 

Post#2 » by amb1ent » Thu Sep 4, 2008 3:52 pm

03-04 lakers

so much hype.
GreenWithEnvy
Analyst
And1: 163

Post#3 » by GreenWithEnvy » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:11 pm

Its gotta be this year. Ive been a die hard Sixers fan since 2000 and i can't remember a year with more hope. Theres finally a low post presence since Barkley. Iguodala and Lou continue to get better. Thad is a starter in this league. On paper there are only 2 MAYBE 3 teams in the East that look better but that doesn't always translate to the court.
Willie Green Is The Man!
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#4 » by Basti » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:13 pm

for the wolves:

back in 2003/04

and last season...
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#5 » by tkb » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:14 pm

99-00 Lakers when Phil Jackson signed for us.
Adam1221
Sixth Man
And1: 397

Post#6 » by Adam1221 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:27 pm

The 2002 Nets, building on a surprising finals apperance we got a someone who was supposed to be a top big man.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#7 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:36 pm

Toronto Raptors entering the 2001-2002 campaign. After falling one VC jumper short of the conference finals, we went out and signed Hakeem the Dream (who was still a 12 / 9 / 2 / 1 player). I thought we were destined for at least the conference finals. Sadly, Carter got his period, and the rest is history.
Go Raps!!
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,885

Post#8 » by ronnymac2 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 5:56 pm

Like TKB said, the 1999-2000 lakers season. I had really started to like the lakers a few seasons before, and i was upset when they got pounded by the spurs in 99. Then Phil signed and I heard shaq was "on a mission to win a title, because rings is what people judge you with the most, and I'm tired of being called a loser." Shaq was also upset that David Robinson had won a title before him because they didn't really like each other. He wanted to claim the title of best big man in the nba to himself, because he thought robinson and duncan were impeding on his turf there lol.

That team is my favorite team ever. The 2000 lakers. I rooted for them and watched there games every chance I got. When they went down in the 4th quarter against portland, I thought "this can't be happening...all season I've seen this team actually become good instead of just talented, they supposed to get over that hump of underachievement that's been killing them." I physically didn't feel good. Then brian shaw hit some 3's, and everything was okay lol. The shaq-kobe alley-oop is my favorite play ever...I jumped around my living room lol.

Honorable mention to the 2002 season, because the lakers finished the last games of the 2001 season and playoffs 24-1. I thought they may carry that over into the 2002 regular season and be the winningest team ever. They started off great, then just coasted to 58 wins lol.

The 2004 season with malone and payton is good, too.

For my second favorite team, the heat's 2005 season, because shaq playing with a new team without kobe made me think he'd win mvp (which he probably should have anyway...but whatever.). This next upcoming season feels exciting too because of the re-emergence of D-wade and with beasley and marion there.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#9 » by MagicMadness » Thu Sep 4, 2008 6:02 pm

1994-95 Season

During the '94 offseason, the 50 win Magic aquired all-star free agent Horace Grant. They would then go on to win the Eastern conference and meet up with the Rockets in the Finals (where they were swept).

There was a lot of buzz surrounding the team going into the season, and expectations were through the roof.
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#10 » by thegreatblaze » Thu Sep 4, 2008 6:15 pm

This season.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,504

Post#11 » by pillwenney » Thu Sep 4, 2008 6:51 pm

02-03

A year after coming oh-so-close to the promise land, and the team got absurdly deep, and better defensively, going into the year with this roster.

Bibby\B. Jackson\Cleaves
Christie\J. Jackson\D. Jones
Stojakovic\Turkoglu\G. Wallace
Webber\K. Clark\Funderburke
Divac\Pollard

:droop:

But then Webber's knee had to go and get all micro-fractured and s**t. :(
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#12 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 6:55 pm

oh-so-close? you guys were the champions, bro..

for me, it was the 1998-1999 season..my 2nd ever season watching the NBA, and it was watching a dominant team with the new emerging superstar Tim Duncan(best player in the NBA that year IMO) and David Robinson trying to win his 1st title..
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#13 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Sep 4, 2008 7:21 pm

MagicMadness wrote:1994-95 Season

During the '94 offseason, the 50 win Magic aquired all-star free agent Horace Grant. They would then go on to win the Eastern conference and meet up with the Rockets in the Finals (where they were swept).

There was a lot of buzz surrounding the team going into the season, and expectations were through the roof.

My answer is '95-'96 actually. There was so much hype in us returning to the Finals, damn you MJ. :(

Some Magic fans may also '00-'01 with T-MAC and G-Hill being our new additions. Man did that blow up in our face. :(
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,597

Post#14 » by adjacent2bench » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:07 pm

Definitely before the 1997 season for the Knicks. Everything was in place. We had a pretty deep team and should have maybe even got past the Bulls. But we know what happened vs the Heat. Screw you David Stern!!

Also, before the 93-94 season. Jordan had retired the first time, so we knew we had a chance at the championship.
Prolific Scorer
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Prolific Scorer » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:17 pm

The 95-96 Magic

2000-2001

2003-2004 Magic (:()

and this year
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,201

Post#16 » by GuyverX » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:18 pm

Clippers '05-06. After signing the biggest free agent in Clipper history at the time in Cuttino Mobley (yeah, bad contract and all but it's true) and then trading Jaric for Cassell, Clipper fans pretty much knew it would be the beginning of at least a solid team that can compete. Sure enough, the team made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and made history by advancing past the first round since the Buffalo Braves days. They would've made the Western Conference Finals if not for one Raja Bell three over rookie Daniel Ewing. :banghead:

The following season held high expectations but the team was destroyed by injuries.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#17 » by meatball sub » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:41 pm

07-08.
Shuttlesworth
Starter
And1: 7

Post#18 » by Shuttlesworth » Thu Sep 4, 2008 9:03 pm

06-07 Phoenix... Amare's back and we had went to the Conference Finals the past 2 years.

Sadly we met up with The Spurs.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#19 » by MagicMadness » Thu Sep 4, 2008 9:39 pm

GuyverX wrote:After signing the biggest free agent in Clipper history at the time in Cuttino Mobley...

:o

Is this really true? There's no way Cuttino Mobley is (was) the biggest free agent signing in Clippers history...right?

I mean, I know they've been a bad, bad team for a long, long time, but...that's just sad if Mobley was the biggest name to ever come to the team (before Davis)...
Carmelo Anthony
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#20 » by Carmelo Anthony » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:07 pm

GreenWithEnvy wrote:Its gotta be this year. Ive been a die hard Sixers fan since 2000 and i can't remember a year with more hope. Theres finally a low post presence since Barkley. Iguodala and Lou continue to get better. Thad is a starter in this league. On paper there are only 2 MAYBE 3 teams in the East that look better but that doesn't always translate to the court.

Id have to agree with you, my hope was high for the team when we went to the finals, I'm one of those people who believe one move can make a difference even if it's not for a superstar and getting dikembe gave me so much hope.

But this season is different, I believe if each player lives up to their potential and hype that this team could be amazing. I followed Louis Williams in Highschool because there was a posibilty he would go to syracuse before he opted to go to the NBA, and even then i thought he could be a superstar. I think this season he will play much above expectation. We have all the right pieces, it just depends on if they mesh.
Walk the city lonely
Memories that haunt are passing by
A murderer walks your streets tonight
Forgive me for my crimes;don't forget that I was so young
Fought so scared in the name of God and Country

Return to The General Board