ImageImageImage

Cassell to Sign Contract With Celtics Next Week!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Cassell to Sign Contract With Celtics Next Week!!! 

Post#1 » by BillessuR6 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 am

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bask ... ?track=rss

"This is my last year playing with the Celtics," he said. "Next week, I'll sign the contract."

"I am playing this year," he said. "After that, I have the option to do coaching for them."

What? I am shocked! :o

Bad news for Pruitt...I guess Danny doesn`t have much confidence in him. And bad news for Miles we will have 15 guaranteed contracts if Cassell is signed...

I am baffled by this...
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Re: Cassell to Sign Contract With Celtics Next Week!!! 

Post#2 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Cassell as assistant coach I have no problem with.

I hate the idea of him playing another year though. Perhaps he'll be more valuable with some time with the club learning the offense, but I really wasn't impressed with him playing ahead of even House, who I'm not crazy about running the offense. Pruitt, I hope you liked the Dev League.

His signing would mean Ainge would likely need to make a move or two, some players could be moved/cut/bought out coming out of camp to make the 15 man roster. Same thing moving to the deadline and buy-out pickups, Ainge could also make a move. So Cassells signing I don't believe means the end of Miles' chances, just would mean that Danny needs to get on the phone.
buckner1976
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by buckner1976 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Someone HAS to be "punking" Sam. There's no other rationale for this. As is, I'll believe it when I see it.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
underneathtoDJ
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#4 » by underneathtoDJ » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm

I know Sam was pretty bad for us last year, but I think that was about as bad as he can play. I think there were times he was trying to live up to being a clutch veteran and was trying to do too much. With some familiarity with the offense and an entire preseason to get comfortable with the guys around him, I'm ok with Sam coming off the bench for 15 minutes a night. I've yet to see anything in Pruitt that shows he can get the job done, despite his potential. We're trying to win championships and it's tough to do with such a young/inexperienced backup PG. Hopefully Sam can get back to his big shot, testicle dancing ways and hopefully Doc let's him know that if he dribbles the ball up court and jacks a 3 with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock (like he did so many times last year) he will find himself 'coaching' from the bench a lot sooner than he expected.
"When I played, Larry Bird was the only one feared. A lot of black guys always ask me, 'Could Larry Bird really play that good?' I said man, Larry Bird was so good it was frightening." -Magic
mrautobahn
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by mrautobahn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Sam I Am has a way with words... I noticed that the Celtics team has "no comment"...

Didn't he say that he was going to be playing for Denver at one point during the summer?

And besides... I never thought DA was serious about Darius Miles... I thought Danny was thinking longer term... messing up Portland's salary cap because they are probably one of the biggest competition for FA next year...

But if it turns out to be true... that Cassell is signing up with the Celtics... and DA wants to keep DM... then we got to look forward to a 2 for 1 trade...

Count on it... some poster on this board is going to start a thread about who goes and who stays...

The fun never stops... NBA... it's Faaaannnntastic!
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#6 » by buckner1976 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 pm

underneathtoDJ wrote:I know Sam was pretty bad for us last year, but I think that was about as bad as he can play. I think there were times he was trying to live up to being a clutch veteran and was trying to do too much. With some familiarity with the offense and an entire preseason to get comfortable with the guys around him, I'm ok with Sam coming off the bench for 15 minutes a night. I've yet to see anything in Pruitt that shows he can get the job done, despite his potential. We're trying to win championships and it's tough to do with such a young/inexperienced backup PG. Hopefully Sam can get back to his big shot, testicle dancing ways and hopefully Doc let's him know that if he dribbles the ball up court and jacks a 3 with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock (like he did so many times last year) he will find himself 'coaching' from the bench a lot sooner than he expected.

I'm sorry I'm just not buying it. I think people are trying to trick themselves into believing that Sam is something he's not(or not anymore). And all this simply because of the Sun report which is by no means fact. Danny hasn't said anything about it all summer. Pruitt hasn't shown he could get the job done because he hasn't gotten the opportunity yet. Cassell on the other hand has gotten the opportunity and failed far more often than he's succeeded. Sam hasn't proved yet that he's capable of dropping his gunner attitude. No thanks. This is a TRULY bad idea.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
avi623
Senior
And1: 43

Post#7 » by avi623 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 pm

It's not really a bad idea. Sam will technically be a player on the team, but his role would be as a player/coach, which is great. I have read several stories where a lot of coaches and players in the league think Sam will make a great coach. I would love to see him get his feet wet in Boston. I think he knows as a player he is done, maybe play a few minutes every other night, or in very specific situations. But I would love to have him on the staff helping a guy like Gabe Pruit.
LenBiasBaller
Senior
And1: 2

Post#8 » by LenBiasBaller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm

idk about this man Sam is Dikembe old now...he does talk, a lot....so who knows sam seems like he says whatever he feels at any given time whether its true or not...
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#9 » by Dogen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 pm

At this point, there isn't a single player on the roster--- aside from Scal-- that I want to part with. But if Samuel is coming back to play for the year and then move into coaching it wouldn't be a bad move for the long term. But who goes? POB deserves a chance, IMO, just because of his size and potential. I don't think we've gotten a real sense of what Pruitt can do, but maybe Danny has and may look elsewhere for a young point. Scal is trade bait later on in the year because of his expiring contract. Big Baby is also in a contract year. If Miles shows some of his old form (as a player, not a 'playa'), Baby could be the odd man out to be packaged in a trade.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Dave_From_NB
Starter

Post#10 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 pm

avi623 wrote:It's not really a bad idea. Sam will technically be a player on the team, but his role would be as a player/coach, which is great. I have read several stories where a lot of coaches and players in the league think Sam will make a great coach. I would love to see him get his feet wet in Boston. I think he knows as a player he is done, maybe play a few minutes every other night, or in very specific situations. But I would love to have him on the staff helping a guy like Gabe Pruit.

Unfortunately, Sam on the 12 man game roster means an additional young guy is in street clothes or the Dev League - Giddens, Walker, POB, Pruitt. Nice to have Sam coach Pruitt, but if it is at the expense of Pruitt not being on the game roster then I think that stunts his growth. Even if it is garbage time minutes, I'd like to see Pruitt getting some playing time in this year.
Dave_From_NB
Starter

Post#11 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:08 pm

LenBiasBaller wrote:idk about this man Sam is Dikembe old now...he does talk, a lot....so who knows sam seems like he says whatever he feels at any given time whether its true or not...

I can't say I've been impressed with all the yapping Sam has done in the past year. Talking about who to sign with while he was still on contract with the Clippers was bad, and pre-announcing the Celtics about a signing is also bad. If I was Ainge, I'd be pretty mad about Sam being quoted on being signed. Surely part of being a coach, is knowing what to say, and what not to say.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#12 » by canman1971 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:28 pm

I think Cassell could do better just being with the team last year and a full training camp only due to the fact he can't be worse can he? But, I'll believe it when I see it. He like to talk, but that doesn't bother me. You don't just forget how to ball, regardless of age. It is a matter of playing within yourself and knowing the system. I think the Sam we saw last year tried too hard to fit and looked awful at times. If he has time, I think he'll do what he has always done, albeit a lesser role.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#13 » by Prophet_C » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Tombattor is going to absolutely love this thread. lol
Godmoney
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#14 » by Godmoney » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Can't believe Boston would consider signing another PG when we have Gabe Pruitt who is Gilbert Arenas' equal without the attitude problems.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:No need to pay attention to ignormous maximus.

HUMBLEBUM: Make a new account and PM me.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#15 » by GregB » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't completely hate this move. I was behind getting him last year. That turned out pretty poorly but He still hit some big shots for us.

I am just a little concerned about the roster implications. You have no idea how much I wish the Cs would just buyout Scal. But, I know that is highly improbable. So, They will most likely cut Miles if they sign Sam to a guaranteed contract. I am not so sure that says as much about Miles as it does about How high the Cs are on Bill Walker.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#16 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Godmoney wrote:Can't believe Boston would consider signing another PG when we have Gabe Pruitt who is Gilbert Arenas' equal without the attitude problems.

No kidding. I was really looking forward to watching the next Gilbert Arenas/Devinn Harris/Gerald Henderson/Penny Hardaway/Delonte West/Chucky Atkins/Kenny Anderson/Steve Francis get some playing time next year. :(
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#17 » by tombattor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Prophet_C wrote:Tombattor is going to absolutely love this thread. lol

haha, you are right about that. But how much worse does a guy have to be before we part ways with him? :evil:
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#18 » by tombattor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:24 pm

underneathtoDJ wrote:I know Sam was pretty bad for us last year, but I think that was about as bad as he can play. I think there were times he was trying to live up to being a clutch veteran and was trying to do too much. With some familiarity with the offense and an entire preseason to get comfortable with the guys around him, I'm ok with Sam coming off the bench for 15 minutes a night. I've yet to see anything in Pruitt that shows he can get the job done, despite his potential. We're trying to win championships and it's tough to do with such a young/inexperienced backup PG. Hopefully Sam can get back to his big shot, testicle dancing ways and hopefully Doc let's him know that if he dribbles the ball up court and jacks a 3 with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock (like he did so many times last year) he will find himself 'coaching' from the bench a lot sooner than he expected.

What imaginary big shot is this selfish alien **** going to make? What big shot did he make last year? We gotta stop living in the past. It's this kind of garbage wishful thinking that made him chuck up all those ill-advised, offense-killing shots. He's a selfish **** that only knows himself and plays with "I'm gong to get my shot no matter what" mentality. He's the anti-Ubuntu. UGH!!!!!!
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,827

Post#19 » by meatball sub » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:37 pm

This is like getting lung cancer, successfully completing chemo, being told the cancer is gone, and then start smoking again.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#20 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:42 pm

I love this move, Id like to see what Sammy could in a full year in Green plus this could make a lot of competition in training camp.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o

Return to Boston Celtics