ImageImage

Late-night LeBron Musings

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Late-night LeBron Musings 

Post#1 » by TowelBoy12 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 pm

I was just bored in the middle of the night and fiddling around with fantasy "get LeBron" scenarios in light of his latest comments.

I have various tabs open with Coon's FAQ, wikipedia's "NBA Salary Cap", storytellerscontracts, and Google as well as an excel spreadsheet that I'm putting to work on this, and I just want to make sure I have a few things right.

LeBron's salary for the 2009-2010 season is $15,779,913. The maximum starting salary of his free agent contract is 105% of this, which is $16,568,909. While the Cavs can sign him for six years with 10.5% raises, it looks to me like other teams can sign him for five years with 8.0% raises (I had not realized the incumbent team's advantage was quite so substantial). Without blinding you with five years of numbers, I'll summarize by saying the the fifth year of a LeBron max extension with another team would be $21,870,959, and the extension would work out to be "5 years, $96.1M" (the Cavs could offer him six years at $125.5M). The preceding is the paragraph I'd like feedback on if not correct. What follows is conjecture on my part.

I'd like to correct myself. I went back to the FAQ and crunched a few more numbers and it turns out LeBron's maximum contract simply by virtue of having seven years of service in the NBA is slightly greater than the value you get by taking 105% of the last year of his contract.

It's complicated, using a "salary cap" slightly different from the "actual" salary cap, and the only purpose of the first "salary cap" is for taking 30% of it to get these max figures. The former cap is 48.04% of BRI while the "actual" salary cap is 51%.

Anyway, his max salary, based on the $62M cap, is $17.52M. If the cap is a big greater than this, so is the starting salary, but our room under the cap actually increases faster, so this is a nice conservative estimate. Over a five-year deal it works out to something very slightly greater than $100M.

(the above is quoted from my amendment posted below; I wanted the content of the original post to reflect accurate information, thus the edit.)

For Blazer fans, the big variables to consider that makes this situation hard to pin down are 1) what will be the starting values of Roy's and Aldridge's extensions? and 2) what exactly will the salary cap be? I've somewhat conservatively projected a salary cap of around $62M, two years after the current cap of nearly $59M.

For both extensions, I looked around the league. For Aldridge, Josh Smith's deal jumped out at me. They seem comparable in terms of position, numbers, star status, and team value, and both teams are young and on the upswing of rebuilding. Smith's extension was for 5 years, $58M with a starting value of $10M (maximum raises were not used). By starting at $9M in the interest of preserving cap space, but using maximum raises, I created a 5 year, $54.45M extension. For Roy, I bit the bullet and went with approximately a maximum deal; I think Roy is every bit as talented and as valuable as Deron Williams. The starting salary for max extensions changes every year and was frankly too complicated for me to figure out, but Deron's started $13.758M, so I inserted a round figure of $14M for Roy one year later. Over five years, Roy's extension is worth $84.7M.

The other Blazers under contract for the 2010-2011 season are Przybilla at around $7.4M, Webster at $4.8M, and this year's crop of four rookies for a total of $11.5M. If we're talking about pursuing LeBron James, I think we'll put our other free agents on the back burner, so I'm letting Blake and Outlaw walk and not worrying about a Sergio extension at this point. Assume also the Channing and Ike are long gone. I wasn't quite sure what to do with Koponen and Freeland, but even if they both sign next year, storyteller provides us with figures suggesting their salaries would add to about $1.8M. Even if we leave them overseas, this might be a prudent figure to include due to the two drafts between now and the 2010 UFA signing period.

Using all of those cap hits and a salary cap of $62M, the Blazers could be under the cap by $13.55M, almost exactly $4M short of what it would take to offer LeBron the maximum allowable. Accepting a five-year deal at that number would net him $81M rather than $96.1M; that's asking a lot. However, just by leaving our euros overseas and trading out of the next two drafts (deferred for future picks), we could increase our max offer by nearly $2M starting, and now we're getting close. We could fail to pick up Batum's first option to make it the rest of the way. If the salary cap is closer to $65M, this all actually becomes pretty easy.

Of course, as much as I hate to say it, the obvious solution is to move Przybilla for an expiring deal or trade exception before the time comes. Dropping that $7.4M, combined with some of the prudent measures detailed above, would allow us to make a max offer and still have $4-$8M to play with in the meantime for rookies and role players.

At the end of the day, we are left with the following skeleton of a roster, eight players making $56.8M for the 2010-2011 campaign.

PG - Jerryd Bayless
SG - Brandon Roy, Rudy Fernandez
SF - LeBron James, Martell Webster, Nicolas Batum
PF - LaMarcus Aldridge
C - Greg Oden

Somewhat humorously, we could probably fill out the roster with cheap role players and not even pay luxury tax in Year 1 of this uber team. After that, it would be time to start ponying up as Oden begins to get paid.

Perhaps the coolest part about all of this is that our team doesn't have to do anything extreme to plan for it. The way I see it, Frye and Diogu will walk anyway, Blake and Outlaw will play out their team options, and no one looks particularly tempting in next summer's free agent market. Furthermore, none of it depends on Darius Miles.

I'll leave you with this: "...I go out and I play hard and that's loyalty," James added. "It's hard because it's a business. (The) franchise is going to do what is best for the player, it always comes back on us. I am going to look bad. If a franchise decides to give up on a player, it's OK. So we have to do what is best for us." --LeBron James
"RealGM Forum Policies" thread, section 1: "Forum Rules", clause b.:

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. This applies to ALL users, regardless of post count, forum rank or perceived status at RealGM.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Late-night LeBron Musings 

Post#2 » by JD45 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:20 pm

It is a nice analysis. But I think the Blazers have all the talent to win a championship already on the roster. You would have to give up depth just to get close to the LeBron derby and then be one of 15 teams. It seems safer to just stay the course as it is.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by TowelBoy12 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:48 pm

JD45 wrote:It is a nice analysis. But I think the Blazers have all the talent to win a championship already on the roster. You would have to give up depth just to get close to the LeBron derby and then be one of 15 teams. It seems safer to just stay the course as it is.

Perhaps I was not clear in my second to last paragraph. Whether or not LeBron is even a possibility in Pritchard's mind, I think it's becoming increasingly likely with the way this team is going that no drastic moves will be made soon. I think both Outlaw and Blake are here to say at least another year (despite my own former tendency to throw them in trade packages); I think Frye and Diogu are not here to stay; I think we eat Raef's contract and then sit on our cap space; I think we are not big players in the 2009 free agent market.

The way the Blazers may or may not be in a position to get James in 2010 doesn't involve any gutting the roster or making extreme sacrifices in the interim.

Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. This applies to ALL users, regardless of post count, forum rank or perceived status at RealGM.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#4 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I'd be insane to not like the thought of Lebron on this team, but it just ain't happening... unless a bunch of craziness transpires over the next two years. I really, seriously doubt that Lebron will outright leave the Cavs as a UFA and sign a fresh contract with another team because he can make so much more by agreeing to a sign and trade. Lebron can then parlay his ending salary with CLE into maximum raises and become a 20+M/year guy. He's so young, he'll actually be over 30M in a minute with max raises.

The problem might be finding salaries that match with so many teams angling to get UNDER the cap. The teams that may actually be in the best position to land the huge names are teams with big expiring contracts+lots of rookie contracts OR...

TRADE EXCEPTIONS!

The ripple effect of the "summer of Lebron et al." may be a scramble to acquire trade exceptions. One ginormous (IMO the most important) advantage of having cap space (which we could have a lot of in '09) is that you can take back a lot more salary than you're sending out. Just as DEN got a ~10M TE from the Clippers for Camby, we could be reaping similar rewards by taking on a very good player from a team that is scrambling to get under the cap or get a TE. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see us forgo signing UFAs and keep that space until after the '09 season starts, possibly until the '10 trade deadline.

Having a ton of space and rookie contracts will make us an incredibly attractive trading partner for the plethora of teams that will be desperate to try to get under the cap.

There will be some serious bargains out there before the big summer hits and we'll be in prime position to buy when everyone else is selling.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by TowelBoy12 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm

I'd like to correct myself. I went back to the FAQ and crunched a few more numbers and it turns out LeBron's maximum contract simply by virtue of having seven years of service in the NBA is slightly greater than the value you get by taking 105% of the last year of his contract.

It's complicated, using a "salary cap" slightly different from the "actual" salary cap, and the only purpose of the first "salary cap" is for taking 30% of it to get these max figures. The former cap is 48.04% of BRI while the "actual" salary cap is 51%.

Anyway, his max salary, based on the $62M cap, is $17.52M. If the cap is a big greater than this, so is the starting salary, but our room under the cap actually increases faster, so this is a nice conservative estimate. Over a five-year deal it works out to something very slightly greater than $100M.

Obviously, I don't know if (or even think) this is KP's plan. I simply enjoyed crunching the numbers and seeing how feasible it may or not be. So while I appreciate everyone's input, I discourage you from getting the impression that I'm gung-ho "LEBRON4PREZ2010". Just sit back and enjoy the most extensive analysis to date of the Blazers' ability to sign The King :-)

PS. If next summer comes and goes and we don't sign anyone or make a big splash in the trade market, start watching this situation closer!

jhern87
Starter
And1: 128

Post#6 » by jhern87 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Next year (LeBron's contract year), if the Blazers do well in the play-off's and still have their cap available, you would think he would atleast have to consider Portland. LeBron seems like an ego maniac and I'm sure that he will do whatever it takes to get more rings then Jordan and be known as "The Greatest". Adding LeBron as our starting SF all but guarantee's chips until they retire.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#7 » by Effigy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 am

As great as the idea is, it fails because there is no plan B. There are 4 prominent young super stars who will be available, but 2 of them: Bosh and Amare we can't use, and there really aren't any comparible Small forwards who will be available. Dwayne Wade could be the backup plan, but that's still just 2 guys. What a lot of these teams are thinking is if they get any of the big 4 it's a win for them. That makes it much harder for us to pull off. I think it's a fun idea, but we're just not going to be able to do this. But as was mentioned, our roster is already pretty spectacular, and we do have the salary to go out and add one or two more high priced players, say Kirk Heinrich and Hedo Turkoglu.
Voodoo
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#8 » by Voodoo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Bonzi, I think there's only one of those players that we really cannot use that well, and that's Wade. Even if we did go after Wade we would just have to slide Roy over to the PG or SF position and let those two work it out. As for Amare and Bosh, they are much better players then LMA is currently, and probably will ever be, and I think it is rather presumptuous to think otherwise at this point. LMA would just be an even more attractive piece to use for a trade, or even better to come off the bench and backup one of those two guys, can you imagine that?? :o

Paul Allen has plenty of money to build such an awesome team. And I think he would be willing to do that in order to secure the legacy of having the absolutely most dominant team in NBA history. Which frankly at that point I think would be our expectation, because not winning a championship would be pretty much unacceptable at that point.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by TowelBoy12 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Bump. In the past couple of days there seems to have been a lot of discussion over whether or not the Blazers could be players in the 2010 market... and yet remarkably little attention to this thread. I don't agree entirely with Wizenheimer's over-simplified version of this type of analysis provided in another thread; without drastically gutting their team over the next two seasons, the Blazers will likely have $13-$15M in cap space simply by default.

If they manage to unload Joel's deal, the max contract won't be difficult.

Voodoo
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#10 » by Voodoo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:45 am

I agree, I think '10 is the off season KP has been gearing for this whole time with his 'cap space plan'.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by TowelBoy12 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:14 am

Voodoo wrote:I agree, I think '10 is the off season KP has been gearing for this whole time with his 'cap space plan'.

I certainly had fun demonstrating how plausible it would be for us to have considerable cap space in 2010. While I am not necessarily predicting that it's a large part of KP's current plan, I do have serious doubts that we'll do much of anything next summer (long assumed by many to be the case).

We can keep Outlaw and Blake on for their option years and play next season with at least as good of a roster we have now... and then still easily have cap space in 2010 by dealing a 32 year old Joel at the deadline.

candy for lunch
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#12 » by candy for lunch » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 pm

I don't understand why we can't simply get LeBron via SPAM :-?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#13 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:31 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:
Voodoo wrote:I agree, I think '10 is the off season KP has been gearing for this whole time with his 'cap space plan'.

I certainly had fun demonstrating how plausible it would be for us to have considerable cap space in 2010. While I am not necessarily predicting that it's a large part of KP's current plan, I do have serious doubts that we'll do much of anything next summer (long assumed by many to be the case).

We can keep Outlaw and Blake on for their option years and play next season with at least as good of a roster we have now... and then still easily have cap space in 2010 by dealing a 32 year old Joel at the deadline.

you might of had fun, but I don't think you were entirely "plausible".

First things first are the contracts of Roy and Aldridge. The problem with the analysis is assuming that they'll just automatically accept the offers from the blazers if they are a bit 'team-friendly'. It's possible they will but it's also possible they won't.

If the cap this summer is 60 million, the max starting salary is likely going to fall into the 14-15 million range. Your assumption of 14 million is probably about accurate of what Roy would receive. But assuming that Aldridge will accept a starting salary that is only 70% of Roy's is a tactical weakness in my view. I don't think he'd accept that easily. I think the blazers would definitely have to go higher to get Aldridge to sign. And if they were angling for 2010 cap-space they'd absolutely have to get him signed next off-season. Otherwise he'll represent a 17.5 million cap-hold in 2010 and there goes the cap-space. Unless of course the blazers would feel comfortable renouncing the rights to Aldridge. I doubt that's a viable option.

So I think it would be tactically necessary to assume that Roy and Aldridge would have combined salaries of around 26 million.

adding the salaries of Oden, Pryzbilla, Webster, Batum, Fernandez, and Bayless totals a shade less then 24 million. But that's for 8 players so there will be 4 automatic cap-holds to fill out a 12 man roster. That will be an additional 2 million.

So that would put portland's team salary somewhere in the vicinity of 51-52 million. That would leave portland with around 10-11 million in cap-space.

And that number assumes a lot of things, primarily though that Portland makes no significant roster moves for the next 2 years. No MLE signings. No use of cap-space this summer. No use of 1st round picks for the next 2 drafts.

And of course it assumes that both Roy and Aldridge sign contract extensions this summer.

So the 10-11 million is not anywhere close to accomplish a big FA signing. Then the focus turns to Pryzbilla. Yes, Portland could free up a shade less then 7 million in space (remember auto cap-hold for 12 roster spots) by dumping Pryzbilla next season for an expiring contract. But that would leave Portland bare-bones in the C/PF rotation. Also remember that it's likely Frye will be gone next summer because portland couldn't match any offer another team would make.

So dumping pryzbilla would put portland real close to max-contract range, but they'd only have 7 players under contract. And they wouldn't have a 1st round draft pick. And they wouldn't have an MLE or BAE to use. If they had the roster filled out with 2nd round picks instead of cap-holds, they'd have less in cap-space.

This is a gigantic gamble to take on a long shot.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:45 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:Bump. In the past couple of days there seems to have been a lot of discussion over whether or not the Blazers could be players in the 2010 market... and yet remarkably little attention to this thread. I don't agree entirely with Wizenheimer's over-simplified version of this type of analysis provided in another thread; without drastically gutting their team over the next two seasons, the Blazers will likely have $13-$15M in cap space simply by default.

If they manage to unload Joel's deal, the max contract won't be difficult.

the 'gutting' occurs in 2010, and if Pryzbilla is still a blazer, the space is 10-11 million, at most, not 15 million
e in boulder
Junior

Post#15 » by e in boulder » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:14 am

Celtics fan here, but realgm trade checker fanatic.

Anyway I was trying to put myself in Danny Ferry's shoes. Seeing as everyone and their mother is anticipating LeBron bolting from Cleveland - I was thinking, why not make the trade now - to secure the future of your franchise from a talent standpoint. It's no secret the Blazers have some of the deepest and best young talent in the league (big ups to your GM KP). They seem like the perfect trade partner if Ferry is trying to work on life after LeBron.

Both these trades work in trade checker - I'm interested to see what you think.

Cleveland Sends
LeBron
Varejao

Portland Sends
Roy
Aldridge
LaFrentz

or

Cleveland Sends
LeBron
Varejao

Portland Sends
Roy
Oden
LaFrentz

I'm not familiar enough with your team to try and guess the depth chart. That being said, I realize Roy and Aldridge/Oden are blue chips, the rest of the team plus LeBron would be flat out scary.

Thoughts, and again - just messing around with the trade checker.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by TowelBoy12 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:35 am

Wizenheimer.

So, of course I am assuming we will lock up Aldridge and Roy a year ahead of time. I thought I made that clear. Now, I stated I think we can get Aldridge for a deal starting between $9M and $10M. You stated it will be closer to $14M. Of course it's all conjecture at this point, but as of right now, I would humbly say my reasoning (market value as established by comparable players in comparable situations) is far more compelling than your reasoning (jealousy of Roy).

In reading your response above, frankly it seems as if you did not read my post at all, and I got a little confused trying to pick out all the points. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind pointing out specific errors in my post rather than building your own analysis from scratch, at least for the purposes of this thread. I'm not claiming to be infallible, and I know you know your stuff. For example, the roster cap holds are a factor I had not considered, but I did address who stays and who goes and it all seemed quite plausible indeed.

I would only advocate trading Joel (whom I love as a player) if it was already February (less than six months from the signing) and everything else had fallen into place as I outlined.

TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by TowelBoy12 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 am

Two things, Mr. Celtics fan. First, I don't think the Cavs will ever trade LeBron James. I could be wrong, but it just seems they will remain in denial until the end and attempt to convince him to re-up with them. I should point out that I think LeBron remaining in Cleveland is a very real possibility. I would say it's looking like 50% NY, 47% Cleveland, 2.5% Portland, and 0.5% other as far as probabilities go.

Second, and even more homerish, I would hate to see us trade two of our big three for LeBron. I believe that LeBron is worth it, but to me it would be a lot like rooting for a new team all of a sudden. The Portland Trail Blazers = Roy/Oden/Aldridge/others and if most of them were gone it would be a different team. If all I wanted to do was follow LeBron's chase for titles, I'd become a Knicks fan.

Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:33 am

TowelBoy12 wrote:Wizenheimer.

So, of course I am assuming we will lock up Aldridge and Roy a year ahead of time. I thought I made that clear. Now, I stated I think we can get Aldridge for a deal starting between $9M and $10M. You stated it will be closer to $14M. Of course it's all conjecture at this point, but as of right now, I would humbly say my reasoning (market value as established by comparable players in comparable situations) is far more compelling than your reasoning (jealousy of Roy).

In reading your response above, frankly it seems as if you did not read my post at all, and I got a little confused trying to pick out all the points. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind pointing out specific errors in my post rather than building your own analysis from scratch, at least for the purposes of this thread. I'm not claiming to be infallible, and I know you know your stuff. For example, the roster cap holds are a factor I had not considered, but I did address who stays and who goes and it all seemed quite plausible indeed.

I would only advocate trading Joel (whom I love as a player) if it was already February (less than six months from the signing) and everything else had fallen into place as I outlined.

and it seems you "did not read" my post either judging by your reply

so let me put it another way: there is no way the blazers would have sufficient cap-space to do diddly-squat in 2010 if either Roy or Aldridge entered the summer as RFA's without a contract. Their CBA mandated cap-holds will assure that. So signing both of the players this summer is essential for any kind of chance at cap-space option at all.

That's a tenuous foundation for an option. A lot can happen that could derail negotiations next summer, even some things that might be rather innocuous. But the cause wouldn't matter, it would be the effect that would be the problem. And it's for damn sure that the agents representing Roy and Aldridge will be able to put 2 and 2 together and conclude that the Blazers would need to have their clients signed. That doesn't give the Blazers the upper hand in negotiations. And for the two players, it doesn't matter whether they sign this summer or next, they don't get their money any sooner.

In other words, it won't be KP dictating the terms of Aldridge's contract, it will be Aldridge and his agent. Besides that, this is business. It's not practical to expect that either Roy or Aldridge will settle for less because they 'like' portland.

So that's why I listed Aldridge's salary at 12 million. And my math came out different then yours. I'd say you need to disprove my projected team salary of 51-52 million. And that's a roster of 8 players that includes pryzbilla, but no point guards. With a 60 million cap, that's only 8-9 million in space. I suspect the cap will be more but the economy is in the toilet right now so who knows. Even dumping pryzbilla for an expiring contract might not give portland max-space for a 7 year veteran. And as I said, that would mean portland did not use their 1st round pick this year or the next, and did not use their MLE or BAE for the next 2 seasons either.

I think the idea of 2010 cap-space for portland is not only impractical, it's probably just a bit foolish as well. It depends completely on getting Roy and Aldridge to sign extensions this summer to start, and there is no guarantee at all that that will happen. It depends on portland remaining static with their current roster, even if it becomes apparent they need change. Those are some of the internal factors. But there are external factors that could shoot the idea all to hell as well. Starting this July, a lot of those attractive 2010 FA's can start renegotiating new contracts with their teams. All 30 front offices know the projections for 2010. You can bet that the teams with pending free agents (Cleveland with lebron, Miami with Wade, Toronto with Bosh, etc) are going to start offering new max-level contracts to their players. And it's certain that some, if not most, will sign and take their names out of that free agent pool.

So the list of top level free agents will be smaller, perhaps quite a bit smaller, then it is now. meanwhile it seems more teams will have significant 2010 cap-space then teams that don't.

But portland will have cap-space this summer and can take advantage of all the teams jockeying for 2010. It's the bird in the hand.
TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by TowelBoy12 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:02 am

Wizenheimer: Two things I seem to consider far more probable than you do:

1. Aldridge and Roy being signed next summer to extensions to take effect beginning in the 2010-2011 season. I think this is 100% certain. There is absolutely no reason to suspect they will not follow in the footsteps of Howard, Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Melo, Paul, Williams, and any other high-profile young player in the past several years who have agreed to contract extensions in during the summer prior to their restricted free agency. I'm not sure why you doubt this. Additionally, I did not rely on any "Portland-liking" factor in my consideration of Aldridge's contract. Numbers of 16/6 (this year so far) or 17/8 (last year) while playing third banana in terms of overall team importance simply do not translate into a max deal, or really anything close to it. I will now reiterate my belief that Josh Smith's fresh contract is a perfect model.

2. The Blazers' roster being largely static over the next two seasons. Whether or not the free agent summer of 2010 is even in KP's top 10 list of things to think about, I strongly believe that no significant trades or free agent signings will occur in the next two season that would affect our long-term salary commitments. Both Outlaw's and Blake's contracts fit with this plan, as their affordable team options will be exercised for the 2009-2010 season. I believe our top eleven players next year will be Blake, Roy, Webster, Aldridge, Oden, Sergio, Rudy, Batum, Outlaw, Joel, and Bayless (look familiar?). I believe Koponen and Freeland will be the 12th and 13th men and no one in the last two spots will have a commitment beyond next season. I believe that with youngsters Bayless, Batum, Koponen, and Freeland in the fold, KP will trade out of next year's draft completely and stockpile assets that will become even higher picks in the future.

Obviously, I hold the above two beliefs based simply on my own conjecture, and if you strongly see either or both as implausible, it makes sense for you to dismiss any plan regarding the summer of 2010. It still seems to me, however, that IF you grant 1 and 2, THEN you have to grant that cap space in 2010 is a realistic possibility.

With the amount of roster continuity over the next two seasons that I just described, I believe we will be an extremely formidable team (i.e. conference power house) next season. And, with Roy and Aldridge already locked up to extensions soon to take effect, our only in-house personnel decisions that summer will be what to do about unrestricted free agents Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw, restricted free agent Sergio Rodriguez, and whether to trade out of the draft for the second consecutive year. If signing LeBron a month later seems like a reasonable possibility, we will take the appropriate steps. If, on the other hand, the decision is made at that time that luring a top guy such as LeBron or Bosh is plausible based on other factors, we will retain Blake, Outlaw, and Sergio, allow KP to work his magic in the draft, and still have at least the MLE to work with. Not a bad contingency, huh?

So, my roster now consists of Roy, Webster, Aldridge, Oden, Rudy, Batum, Przybilla, Bayless, Freeland, and Koponen. That is 10 players (not your 8). If Roy's and Aldridge's extensions sum to $23M in the first year, the total payroll for these ten players is $48.4M. It seems, then, that if their extensions add instead to $27M, we agree pretty closely on your $52M figure. If we split the difference and shed Joel's $7.4M, we would have a nine-man roster worth approximately $43M. If the cap is $61M or anything over it, we could offer LeBron James the maximum free agent contract. QED.

TowelBoy12
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by TowelBoy12 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:10 am

I feel I should add that if "trading out of the draft" doesn't agree with you, drafting a European prospect in the 20s and not signing him for a year or two also seems highly plausible given the makeup of this team.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers