Gamethread: Wizards vs. Cavaliers - Sunday, Jan 4th

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: Gamethread: Wizards vs. Cavaliers - Sunday, Jan 4th 

Post#61 » by JWizmentality » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:30 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:I've been off the boards for a while but when did DeSuck go down? I don't recall. Who took him out? I need to send the guy some bubbly. I'm loving DMac. Not a pretty game, but I'll take beating the Cavs any day...although this felt like a huge "Sorry we fooked up on Christmas" kinda game from the refs.

I never thought someone deliberately took him out but now that you mention you've been "away" for awhile leads me to believe you're back to your old voodoo doll ways. Fess up dude, you know you've been poking needles into the "Stevenson 2" tattoo on the back of your Deshawn bobble head. Looks like it finally worked. Now apply some of that reverse voodoo to Gil's knee.

Aint got the foggiest clue what you're implying. I take offense to you're insinuations. :x
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#62 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:37 pm

JWizmentality wrote:I've been off the boards for a while but when did DeSuck go down? I don't recall. Who took him out? I need to send the guy some bubbly. I'm loving DMac. Not a pretty game, but I'll take beating the Cavs any day...although this felt like a huge "Sorry we fooked up on Christmas" kinda game from the refs.

Health Tracker
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=865263&start=15
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#63 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:38 pm

Ji wrote:even in a tank season...great to win this game

QFT ...and that doesnt happen often.

What a nice win
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#64 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:39 pm

nate33 wrote:I second yungal07. STFU closg00. It's your kind of commentary that is dragging this board down.

THIRDED....

STFU closg00
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#65 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:45 pm

Ok guys. Group hug moment here.

Enough of the STFU stuff. That isn't really helping to change the tone.

Coom by yah ma lord. Coom by yah.

Good vibes.

I'm going to go jump in the Jeep and see if I can find Gilbert in a game room some where so I can tell him we are ready for him now.

brb
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#66 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:46 pm

hands11 wrote:Ok guys. Group hug moment here.

Enough of the STFU stuff. That isn't really helping to change the tone.

Coom by yah ma lord. Coom by yah.

Good vibes.

I'm going to go jump in the Jeep and see if I can find Gilbert in a game room some where so I can tell him we are ready for him now.

brb

STFU
:evil:
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#67 » by JWizmentality » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:47 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:
nate33 wrote:I second yungal07. STFU closg00. It's your kind of commentary that is dragging this board down.

THIRDED....

STFU closg00

C'mon ya'll stop piling on the guy. We've all been a little pissy over the Wiz this year. But let's not make the real reason for our troubles cause us bicker amongst ourselves. DeSuck was the root of all evil...and his pestilence has been removed. How fitting that he show up dressed as Lucifer this afternoon.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Post#68 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:53 pm

Some other observations:

I thought the refs were excellent tonight. They did a good job of making sure Sideshow Bob didn't get away with his usual antics. They called him once for over the back once and another time for a moving screen. Obviously, they called the Lebron travel accurately for a change. And they were even accurate on most of the other calls that went against us. The Lebron 4-point play was the right call. Butler did make contact with Lebron's hand. I also liked the offensive foul on Boobie Gibson when he stuck out his leg while shooting. You don't see it called often, but it was the right call. Nick Young would not have made contact with Boobie if Boobie didn't stick out the leg.

DMac showed some nice offensive moves today. He had two terrific left-handed drives to the basket. He's got to show enough offensive ability to make sure teams don't cheat off of him. It looks like he is making strides in that department. As usual, he was terrific on the glass. His rebounding work was a key factor in this game. 10 boards in 32 minutes from the SG position is pretty damn impressive.

Nick Young is very tentative out there. He has lost much of his confidence and is no longer in attack mode. For the time being, that might not be such a bad thing. He needs to learn how to be an effective role player before being given the role of a primary option. I like that his defense is improving and that he is moving the ball on offense. Hopefully, he'll figure out this role player thing and then be able to integrate it with his natural scoring gifts.

Blatche may well be the best passer on the team. We've got to try to get him into the high post more often to initiate the offense. Screw the Princeton hybrid. With Blatche in the game, we might be able to run the actual Princeton Offense.

I thought Butler did a pretty good job on Lebron. Lebron hit 3 step-back three pointers tonight with Butler draped all over him. Lebron has been shooting 29% from 3 this season. If he had a normal shooting night he probably would have missed some of those. Overall, he shot just 50% with 7 turnovers. After a slow start, Butler has played some pretty solid defense lately.

I really like Hickson. He's got a bulky but wiry build and a frame that looks like it can get much stronger without losing athleticism. He's going to be a brute. And he's got some nice post moves to go with it.

Sign me up for a Jamison + Etan for Wally + Hickson trade.
xJUICEx25
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#69 » by xJUICEx25 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:00 pm

nate33 wrote:With the exception of the Boston game, this team has played rock solid basketball ever since DMac was inserted into the starting lineup. Suddenly, we're big, we're dominating on the glass, the ball moves on offense, and we play better D. I also thought Blatche had a great first half. Good things happened whenever he touched the ball in the high post. Overall, we played a damn fine ball game except for a string of unforced turnovers down the stretch.

+1

I knew i wasn't the only one thinking this.
FREE QUICK MONEY? Really Works ENJOY!!!!!!! :)

http://www.AWSurveys.com/HomeMain.cfm?RefID=Charlib09

BY THE WAY, I MADE ABOUT $100 IN 3DAYS. LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#70 » by JWizmentality » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:09 pm

Yuck Nate, Hickson looked like garbage to me, definately wouldn't drop Twan for him. There were people on this board that were livid we picked McGee over the guy. Big hell no.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,643

Post#71 » by pancakes3 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:10 pm

DSong set a crucial moving pick on the game winner for Jamison. He tied up both Lebron and Verajao by getting big and shuffling his feet. Go back and look at it on replays.

I think a win's a win, and a loss is a loss. I try to take solace in "moral victories" but deep inside, you always have a better disposition when your team wins, even if it's ugly. At least i do. I think you should too, closg. Steadies the heart rate. Stop to smell the roses and all that jazz.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:36 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Yuck Nate, Hickson looked like garbage to me, definately wouldn't drop Twan for him. There were people on this board that were livid we picked McGee over the guy. Big hell no.

And besides that, Etan stuffed him twice. Color me not impressed. I like my undersized PFs to do a little more than he does - I say as I'm watching Patrick Patterson's KY team play Louisville. Patterson actually passes the ball - and well - and exerts as much effort on defense as he does on offense. If he was just a little taller - I'm guessing he measures at 6'8.5. This game is fun to watch. Clark and Williams - if they could only shoot straight - would both be lottery picks. As it is, they are great defenders who can both create on offense. But I digress. Hickson bites. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 784

Post#73 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:36 pm

Wow, I totally forgot this was a day game. I also admit to being slightly disappointed that the team won (I'm still in tank mode) but when it's the Cavs, I'll take it!

:clap:
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#74 » by P'Oed » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:38 pm

Figures I'd miss us get our revenge on those Cleveland queens. I only caught most of the first and second quarters and much like nate said, I think Young is playing differently than he did last year...and not in a good way. He seems to take some really wierd shots. Good to see Jamison and Butler get the win that they both deserve though. They'll probably go a combined 3 for 32 next game but hey, gotta love their effort when it actually pays off.

McGuire seems to be a real surprise for us. Love to see him develop a 3 point shot more than anything which I know probably won't happen. A great defender with 3-point sniping ability would give us our Posey player that we need off the bench in the future. Oh, and how bout Blatche? Saw him make a couple great passes to McGuire in the little snippets I saw. And I'm really excited about Critt's speed. He could be a great defensive PG in a year or two.

take it easy on each other, this isn't the Extreme Skins messageboard where everyone has PMS. Celebrate good times beating Cleveland COME ON!
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#75 » by yungal07 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:52 pm

Yea I'm not impressed with Hickson either. He seems a bit slowfooted. I was hoping that the Wiz would attack him on defense because he was guarding Songailia, and I think Songailia's craftiness would have given him an advantage in the post.

Trading Jamison to the Cavs? Hmm...I'd want Wally, their first, Hickson, West and they'd have to agree to take Stevenson and Songaila. Other than that...no way.
xJUICEx25
Freshman

Post#76 » by xJUICEx25 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:07 pm

Jamison for wally and hickson!!!

okay, im really starting to think you guys on this board is crazy.

xJUICEx25
Freshman

Post#77 » by xJUICEx25 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:08 pm

Nate, what would make you pull the trigger on that trade? i'm curious

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,573

Post#78 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:15 pm

xJUICEx25 wrote:Nate, what would make you pull the trigger on that trade? i'm curious

Cap relief. Jamison is not in our future plans. I think Hickson will become a solid starter once he matures. He turned 20 four months ago and he's already posting per-minute numbers comparable to Blatche. I suppose it would be better to include Songaila instead of Etan.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#79 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:26 pm

Forget Hickson - I want Jawad Williams from them. I didn't realize he was on an NBA roster - I was sure he was going to make it in the NBA - so what if it took him 4 years to make a roster.

Btw, what's happened to Bunny Gibson? His numbers stink this season. It wasn't exactly a vote of confidende when they traded for Mo Williams.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#80 » by WizStorm » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:38 pm

Funny seeing the 2 different viewpoints on the travel call...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... EWWfEq-iKA

Lebron James POV:
"You have your trademark play, and that's one of my plays. It kind of looks like a travel because it's slow, and it's kind of a high-step, but it's a one-two just as fluent as any other one-two in this league. I got the wrong end of it, but I think they need to look at it - and they need to understand that's not a travel," James said. "It's a perfectly legal play, something I've always done."

Caron Butler POV:
"I definitely knew he travelled, but I didn't know they were going to call it," Butler said about what happened Sunday. "That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move, good officiating, and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God."'

Return to Washington Wizards