Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#721 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:33 pm

I'd rank them
1. rubio
2. harden
3. evans

now here is where it gets tricky, is anybody excited about these backcourts:
Curry/Foye, Foye/Henderson, Teague/Foye, Foye/Warren

those all look weak defensively and there's no guarantee they're anything special offensively either -
reminds me of the Francis/Mobley backcourts where you have two guys that can score, but not super efficiently, nor are they great defenders, and to top it all off your siphoning touches from your frontcourt because there's 2 guys looking for their shots first and foremost in the backcourt

Evans and Harden I can handle because they can playmake a bit and they at least give you some respectable size and defensive presence
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#722 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 pm

PeeDee wrote:Tyreke "chopped liver" Evans has something to say about your rankings.

That's a good point. I was jsut using the players Deeney used. Adding others migth look something liek this:

Tier 1: Rubio (picks 1-2)
Tier 2: Harden (picks 3-4)
Tier 3: Evans/Jennings/Holiday (picks 5-8)
Tier 4: Teague/Curry/Lawson/Turner/Warren (picks 9-15)
Tier 5: Henderson/Derozan/Budinger/Maynor/Flynn/Collison/Mills (picks 16-30)
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#723 » by revprodeji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm

deeney0 wrote:rev, I don't understand how you can even consider Thabeet with your love for our Euro. At some point, the non-post possitions need to be addressed. Even if you like the PGs in the Miami pick range, then we should be talking about Aminu or Clark... but I like how DX has it currently, PG with the lotto pick and wing with the Miami pick.

Clark is lazy. Honestly I like Brewer as a SF prospect right now more than Clark or Aminu. Aminu is a prospect that might never be more than Travis Outlaw.

My love of the Euro is obvious. But if Thabeast is the value pick then we take him and move either the Euro or Thabeast. The fact is there is no clear pg other than Rubio. So grab Thabeast and move Pekovic.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#724 » by revprodeji » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Holiday/Foye would be a nice backcourt. Maybe Brewer gets some minutes as a defensive 2.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#725 » by deeney0 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 pm

I like Brewer too, so that's one guy in the 1/2/3 rotation. Foye makes two. You might be able to convince me that the probabilities of hanging onto Telfair and Gomes add up to a third person, but that's still two gaps there vs. at most one in the post. Taking Thabeet and trading, which would almost certainly mean moving down in the draft, amounts to the same thing as not taking Thabeet from a draft evaluation perspective. Obviously I'll take Thabeet or Griffin if the value is there, but I don't plan on keeping either.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#726 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 am

What are all your thoughts on Austin Daye? If his knee returns to 100% and he puts on some muscle, he could be a terrific player. His frame is what worries me the most, but if he can just put on a little more weight he looks to be a player in the Kevin Durant mold. Obviously I'm not going to predict him averaging 26 ppg, but I'm just speaking style of play.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#727 » by revprodeji » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:16 pm

I mentioned Daye a couple pages ago. I like him, but he seems injury prone and lacking the killer instinct. He could be a decent scoring sf, most likely a bench player. But s much potential. If he came out I would take a flyer on him with the Bos pick and stick him in the d-league for a while.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#728 » by Krapinsky » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:07 pm

Daye scares me. He looks like a Shaun Livingston injury waiting to happen. That said, I wouldn't mind using the Boston pick, since he has top ten talent. However, he'll probably stay in school.

revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#729 » by revprodeji » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:57 pm

He has a fundamentally unsound knee? You can see that? (*or are you hinting that livingston's knee injury is related to Dayes knee injury or that skinny people have bad knees?)
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#730 » by Krapinsky » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:03 pm

I didn't even know Daye had a knee injury. I'm just hinting players as wiry as him are bound to be snapped sooner or later. Kid needs to put on some muscle is all.

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#731 » by john2jer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Now we're ripping on skinny people?

That's weightism!
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#732 » by revprodeji » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 am

Dr. K ----Daye had a disappointing offseason, a summer filled with setbacks including a partially torn ACL and a bone bruise.

Livingston's knee injury had nothing to do with his frame, it was a freak injury that some people think was based on a flaw in his knee. If anything, if he was bigger it would have happened sooner.
invno1
Starter
And1: 9

Post#733 » by invno1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Well put me down for the very unpopular Brewer / Curry backcourt. Curry will be very simalar to Love in maturity and team ball with the shot.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,641

Post#734 » by jpatrick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm not sure if this article was posted when it came out a few days ago, but interesting comments on the top prospects. I enjoyed the comments on Daye:

Code: Select all

Austin Daye, 6-11 sophomore forward, Gonzaga: "This kid will get you fired. Soft? He invented soft. Jeff Adrien cold cocked him when they played UConn, and he spent the rest of the game behind the three-point line. I'm not denying he has a high skill level, but you better surround him with a lot of bullies."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/02/24/hoop.thoughts/index.html
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#735 » by revprodeji » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Jpatrick. I have heard that too. He has legit top-5 talent, but early 2nd work ethic. Wait, not even work ethic because he does work hard, he is just soft. incredibly soft.

Invno1. I would love to get CUrry with the mia pick. If we could get a legit big with our pick or make a trade with it then grab Curry it would be great.

I love Brewer and I think he could be a nice starting SG if we had a SF that can score

Al/Love/Gomes/Brewer/Curry
Thabeast/Miller/Foye/Bassy

Nice 9 man rotation
Vega06
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#736 » by Vega06 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Thabeet is defending Harangody well so far.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#737 » by Krapinsky » Sun Mar 1, 2009 6:41 am

Daye is soft b/c he's afraid of being snapped

ChazzleDazzle
Junior
And1: 1

Post#738 » by ChazzleDazzle » Sun Mar 1, 2009 6:57 am

I think a Teague/Foye backcourt would be very interesting, Offensively. Watching Teague, he makes some nifty passes, but doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective. I would worry a little defensively though, you're right.

Why is no one mentioning Calathes anymore? I haven't seen him play much, but a lot of what I've read suggests solid backup combo guard with decent defense (though he'd definitely have trouble with quick 1's). If we can nab him at the tail end of the first or beginning of the second, it would be a nice way to flesh out the guard rotation...
funkatron101 wrote:Yes Jungle is a word.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#739 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 1, 2009 7:38 am

Calathes/Brewer/Daye

lots of slenderness
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#740 » by big3_8_19_21 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 10:08 am

I've never watched Calathes, but is he skilled enough to overcome his athletic limitations? From his scouting reports he sounds like sort of a Mike Miller/Marko Jaric hybrid skill-wise but with even better passing skills.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves