ImageImageImageImageImage

LeTravel and the Crab dribble Thread - Wadette Girliman

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,064

Re: LeTravel and the Crabeliers Thread - The Crab Walk Baby 

Post#241 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

As much as I hate James, there's no denying that he's a once in a decade type talent, probably the most supremely gifted athlete this league has ever seen.

That said, when they talk about LeBron and his outstanding PER and the season he is having statistically, what they fail to put in perspective is just how easy the game has become for offensive players. I hate when players from different eras are compared for precisely that reason.

Just imagine what clip Jordan in his prime would score at with these no contact rules. Conversely, put Lebron in the late 80s early 90s and see how he does against the Jordan rules Pistons or Riley's Knicks.

When I see LeBron cry to the refs after every bit of contact, check his mouth for blood when he wasn't even hit in head, all I can do is shake my head in disgust

"They're trying to hurt me!", for real?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#242 » by B Mac » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 pm

hermitkid wrote:That said, when they talk about LeBron and his outstanding PER and the season he is having statistically, what they fail to put in perspective is just how easy the game has become for offensive players. I hate when players from different eras are compared for precisely that reason.

Just imagine what clip Jordan in his prime would score at with these no contact rules. Conversely, put Lebron in the late 80s early 90s and see how he does against the Jordan rules Pistons or Riley's Knicks.

Hey guys. Love the thread, and miss the banter with you all.

I havent posted on your page for quite a while now but I did want to pop in to say something about this argument. When calculating PER, the way the game has changed is taken into account. PER is calculated on a year by year basis, meaning that compared to everyone else in the league THIS year LeBron is having one of the best statistical seasons ever. LeBron's PER has nothing to do with how the game has changed. It is simply saying that LeBron, compared to everyone else in the league this year, is having almost as great of a season as MJ did, compared to everyone else in the league that year when he set the record. PER does take into account the way the game has changed by putting everyone on the same battlefield against their peers.

Now please continue on with the LeBashing, and cant wait to see you guys next week.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#243 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 pm

hermitkid wrote:

You're forgetting that Jordan WAS playing with the no contact rule, it's just nobody else was. The no contact rule was implemented after Jordan retired so that everybody was playing by the same rules (in theory anyway).

Detroit's "Jordan rules" were only allowed before Jordan had won three championships. After that he was untouchable, and consistently scored 4 points ON AVERAGE more than the next highest scorer in the NBA. He was good but he wasn't THAT good. He wasn't 4*82=328 points a year better than Hakeem or Clyde or whoever it was that happened to be in second place that year.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Post#244 » by CHIMOCHI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:34 pm

hermitkid wrote:As much as I hate James, there's no denying that he's a once in a decade type talent, probably the most supremely gifted athlete this league has ever seen.

That said, when they talk about LeBron and his outstanding PER and the season he is having statistically, what they fail to put in perspective is just how easy the game has become for offensive players. I hate when players from different eras are compared for precisely that reason.

When I see LeBron cry to the refs after every bit of contact, check his mouth for blood when he wasn't even hit in head, all I can do is shake my head in disgust

-"They're trying to hurt me!", for real?

you realize MJ said the same thing right :lol:

lol at the "CRAB WALK BABY"
:lol:
u mad?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#245 » by miller31time » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:56 pm

CHIMOCHI wrote:you realize MJ said the same thing right :lol:

lol at the "CRAB WALK BABY"
:lol:

You're not going to find many MJ fans around these parts either. For much different reasons, though.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#246 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

fishercob wrote:Fellers.

I have access to a high quality plotter (poster size) printer at my office. I need someone to make me a sweet hi-res, funny, clean poster mocking the crab-walking traveliers in time for next Thursday's game. My seats are section 100, prime TV territory.

Any takers?

How about this.

Since he is called King James the poster should be....

A toilet as the thrown.

A crab body with Lebrons face

But his face looks in pain because he has the Crab Dribbles.

Maybe something like.

NBA to legalize the Crab Dribble for La Queen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#247 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh, and i case some missed one the 1000 commercial saying it. LeBron will be on 60 minutes tonight.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#248 » by Canomad » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

just curious based of the hate for lebron james on this board. i have a question. would you trade caron butler for lebron james? i mean i know its not realistic but if you could swap players would you take lebron? would you embrace him? do you just hate him so much that you would never want him as a wizard?
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#249 » by BigA » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

canomad wrote:just curious based of the hate for lebron james on this board. i have a question. would you trade caron butler for lebron james? i mean i know its not realistic but if you could swap players would you take lebron? would you embrace him? do you just hate him so much that you would never want him as a wizard?

Cavs would have to take back Stevenson and Songaila to make the salaries match. Wizards could throw in a future second round pick. :lol:

Of course everyone here would do that, even not taking into account the creeping disillusionment with Butler that's been going on over here.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#250 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 am

I would not trade Butler for James. I refuse to cheer for him.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#251 » by newslowsad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:29 am

STOP THROWING PARTIES IN OUR CITY, DOUCHE!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcspor ... in_dc.html
hands11
Banned User

Post#252 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 am

canomad wrote:just curious based of the hate for lebron james on this board. i have a question. would you trade caron butler for lebron james? i mean i know its not realistic but if you could swap players would you take lebron? would you embrace him? do you just hate him so much that you would never want him as a wizard?

Nope. I wouldn't want to see CB go in that trade. He may go one day but not like that.

Now I would take LaQueen for Etan, Mike James, and DSleezy but I would just do that because it would be an insanely stupid trade for Cleveland. I would then promptly turn around and ship his rss out of here for a player or group of players that I respected and wanted to cheer for. I guess we could get Granger and Prince for The Queen.

I have no interest in cheering for him because I don't have any respect for him. Did you see what 60 minutes interview ? What an idiot pompous rsss.

LaQueen. Why do you feel you need to be successful in other endeavor ?
Answer. Because I have the talent.

It doesn't read as bad as it looked and sounded. He was being so pompous and he didn't even realize it.

Answer of a non rss. Because I know one day this basketball stuff will end and I enjoy new challenges. I also enjoy giving back and helping people reach then dreams since I have been so blessed in my own life.

So no. I won't want him here.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#253 » by DaRealHibachi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:01 am

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:I would not trade Butler for James. I refuse to cheer for him.

Same here...

Gifted and talented as he is, I don't really like the dude...
:beer: Magnumt
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#254 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 am

The nice thing about having James on your team is you don't have to suffer the indignity of losing to him, because you get the chance to be the blind slobbering fan boy instead of the pissed off hard working team that got jobbed by the refs.

I actually wouldn't mind being a blind slobbering fan boy, as long as I have something to be a blind slobbering fan boy about.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#255 » by sashae » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:30 am

Look, I can't stand LeBron, but I'm not blind to how good he is. Actually, a large part of my dislike for the man was not because we keep losing to him (which is terrible in its own right) but because he has an ENORMOUS amount of natural-born talent, and up until this year it seemed like he only sparingly worked any harder than just his pure natural talent. This guy should be Oscar Robertson crossed with Magic, but even bigger... but for a long time it just seemed like he was cruising. Now, he's destroying people. It's something to watch. I can't imagine how good he's going to be once he hits his true prime.

I still want that win on Thursday though ;)
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#256 » by doclinkin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:00 am

LeBron's a phenomenal talent, a student of the game, even plays defense, and while sure I like my grapes sour as the next guy, in this case the guy frankly turns my stomach.

There's a reason we never had a long thread dedicated to hate on DWade despite the fact that he kills this squad every time he's healthy. DWade just has a quiet sort of class, has worked to earn his talent.

LeBron's act though is tiresome. The whining to referees, checking his tampax for blood whenever someone intrudes on his aura. Loves the smell of himself, and has been stroked by the gods since he was in infancy. Rooting for LeBron is like getting a tattoo of the MicroSoft logo, and bragging about how much money Bill Gates' got. Yeah, and? So? Only an idiot would suggest LeBron ain't good. But only an asswipe or a Clevelander would root for him.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#257 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm

hermitkid wrote:As much as I hate James, there's no denying that he's a once in a decade type talent, probably the most supremely gifted athlete this league has ever seen.

"They're trying to hurt me!", for real?

The scoring environment today is about what it was during the Jordan's career. League average during Jordan's career was about 108 points per 100 possessions, if I recall correctly (it's been a couple years since I looked at this). Average this season is 108. Last I looked, fouls are called today at about the same rate as they were during Jordan's years. Free throws -- same rate. The game today is getting closer to what it was during the game's glory years. Except there's better long-range shooting nowadays.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#258 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:LeBron's a phenomenal talent, a student of the game, even plays defense, and while sure I like my grapes sour as the next guy, in this case the guy frankly turns my stomach.

There's a reason we never had a long thread dedicated to hate on DWade despite the fact that he kills this squad every time he's healthy. DWade just has a quiet sort of class, has worked to earn his talent.

LeBron's act though is tiresome. The whining to referees, checking his tampax for blood whenever someone intrudes on his aura. Loves the smell of himself, and has been stroked by the gods since he was in infancy. Rooting for LeBron is like getting a tattoo of the MicroSoft logo, and bragging about how much money Bill Gates' got. Yeah, and? So? Only an idiot would suggest LeBron ain't good. But only an asswipe or a Clevelander would root for him.

Ladies and gentleman, the great doclinkin. Just fantastic stuff right there, doc.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#259 » by miller31time » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:05 pm

fishercob wrote:
doclinkin wrote:LeBron's a phenomenal talent, a student of the game, even plays defense, and while sure I like my grapes sour as the next guy, in this case the guy frankly turns my stomach.

Ladies and gentleman, the great doclinkin. Just fantastic stuff right there, doc.

HOF post?

(I don't make these decisions and Doc isn't pompous enough to put it there himself.....though he's close)

:wink:
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#260 » by fishercob » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 pm

miller31time wrote:
fishercob wrote:

HOF post?

(I don't make these decisions and Doc isn't pompous enough to put it there himself.....though he's close)

:wink:

I'm an admitted doclinkin fanboy. I can only put so many of his posts in the HOF before it looks ridiculous.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards