Raptors/Suns/Hornets: Agreed on Draft Day, July 1st Deal

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Re: Raptors/Suns/Hornets: Agreed on Draft Day, July 1st Deal 

Post#21 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:32 pm

im glad me and alfred are on the same page, Jose had a down year, last year he was supposed to be a all-star and this year many of us expected big things from him, he hasnt hit his ceiling or reached his peak. His hamstring was a nagging injury that never seemed to heal but nash is 35 years old how many years do you think he has left in him? Suns throw in the pick, raptors throw in cash and it seems to compensate well.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#22 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 pm

Here's an interesting question for people:

What kind of salary do you think Steve Nash will command as a UFA next year?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#23 » by loserX » Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 pm

Alfred wrote:Here's an interesting question for people:

Another question: why wouldn't the "rebuilding" Suns just draft a PG with their pick and save money in the long run?

A straight-up deal of Nash for Calderon might get the Raptors a pick if the Suns save enough money...take Humphries out and that'll help.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#24 » by RTM » Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Alfred wrote:
RTM wrote:TOR should be sending a pick, not receiving one.

Please elaborate.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Raps get the Suns pick when the Suns are trading the better player, and taking on long term salary. The Raptors should swap picks with the Suns at the very least. I know there's the argument that he could only be a rental, but I imagine he'd be pretty happy in Toronto with Bosh.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

RTM wrote:
Alfred wrote:
RTM wrote:TOR should be sending a pick, not receiving one.

Please elaborate.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Raps get the Suns pick when the Suns are trading the better player, and taking on long term salary. The Raptors should swap picks with the Suns at the very least. I know there's the argument that he could only be a rental, but I imagine he'd be pretty happy in Toronto with Bosh.

Steve Nash is also 35 and will be a free agent in a year. He doesn't have as much value as you think he does.
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by bcortell » Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:also as a side note if the suns dont like taking poseys contract we could cut NOH out and simply deal with Toronto/Phoenix

Calderon
Hump
3 million Cash

for

Nash
14th Pick

the cash would let you buy an equal prospect in next years draft or wherever you choose, you get Nashs replacement in Jose and he could be a very good compliment to Shaq

The basis of this deal is were it goes wrong. You want Nash and the pick for Calderon. That won't happen. As you have said before, you won't do Calderon straight up for Nash (which, IMO, neither would PHX), so this trade is a no go.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:49 pm

loserX wrote:

Another question: why wouldn't the "rebuilding" Suns just draft a PG with their pick and save money in the long run?

Because drafting a player, especially at pick #14 does not in any way guarantee that you will be getting a good point guard. Jose Calderon is a proven commodity. He is signed to a good long-term contract considering his production. It's called hedging your bets.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 pm

bcortell wrote:
Rapsobsessed7 wrote:also as a side note if the suns dont like taking poseys contract we could cut NOH out and simply deal with Toronto/Phoenix

Calderon
Hump
3 million Cash

for

Nash
14th Pick

the cash would let you buy an equal prospect in next years draft or wherever you choose, you get Nashs replacement in Jose and he could be a very good compliment to Shaq

The basis of this deal is were it goes wrong. You want Nash and the pick for Calderon. That won't happen.

Why?
loserX

Post#29 » by loserX » Tue May 19, 2009 8:53 pm

Alfred wrote:
loserX wrote:

Because drafting a player, especially at pick #14 does not in any way guarantee that you will be getting a good point guard. Jose Calderon is a proven commodity. He is signed to a good long-term contract considering his production. It's called hedging your bets.

Then by all means the Raptors should keep him. I don't know why they would want to trade a proven commodity on a reasonable contract for what is being considered a clearly inferior player and a gamble of a draft pick.

Sorry, Nash/lottery pick for Calderon/Humphries does not make sense for Phoenix. It just doesn't.
bcortell
Banned User

Post#30 » by bcortell » Tue May 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Alfred wrote:
bcortell wrote:

Calderon
Hump
3 million Cash

for

Nash
14th Pick

The basis of this deal is were it goes wrong. You want Nash and the pick for Calderon. That won't happen.

Why?

Nash is the face of their franchise. You think their fans would be happy if they traded Nash for Calderon? They would just lose more money.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 pm

loserX wrote:
Alfred wrote:
loserX wrote:Another question: why wouldn't the "rebuilding" Suns just draft a PG with their pick and save money in the long run?

Then by all means the Raptors should keep him. I don't know why they would want to trade a proven commodity on a reasonable contract for what is being considered a clearly inferior player and a gamble of a draft pick.

I'm not saying that this is a good trade for the Raptors. I'm saying that Calderon is worth at least as much as Nash and their first round pick. You're getting confused.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 pm

bcortell wrote:
Alfred wrote:
bcortell wrote:The basis of this deal is were it goes wrong. You want Nash and the pick for Calderon. That won't happen.

Why?

Nash is the face of their franchise. You think their fans would be happy if they traded Nash for Calderon? They would just lose more money.

There are plenty of older players who have been the face of their franchises for a lot longer than Steve Nash and have been traded for a far larger talent gap than Nash to Calderon.

Teams rebuild. That's a fact.
loserX

Post#33 » by loserX » Tue May 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Alfred wrote:I'm not saying that this is a good trade for the Raptors. I'm saying that Calderon is worth at least as much as Nash and their first round pick. You're getting confused.

The deal also includes Humphries, who holds negative value to the Suns as far as this deal is concerned. As I said before, take him out and the deal is a lot closer. (Raptors will have capspace after July 1 anyway...so he's not necessary.)

And I'm saying that Calderon/Humphries may be worth that to the Raptors, but he is not worth that to the Suns. My vision is clear, thanks.
loserX

Post#34 » by loserX » Tue May 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Alfred wrote:Teams rebuild. That's a fact.

And when they do, they tend not to toss away lottery picks. Also fact.
bcortell
Banned User

Post#35 » by bcortell » Tue May 19, 2009 9:02 pm

Alfred wrote:
There are plenty of older players who have been the face of their franchises for a lot longer than Steve Nash and have been traded for a far larger talent gap than Nash to Calderon.

Teams rebuild. That's a fact.

And if they do rebuild, they don't do it around Calderon. Especially if they are giving up their lotto pick.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,214

Post#36 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue May 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Alfred wrote:I'm saying that Calderon is worth at least as much as Nash and their first round pick.

Hardly.......

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:im glad me and alfred are on the same page

2 Raptors fans agreeing on their player being worth more then he is? I'm stunned.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 665

Post#37 » by SideSwipe » Tue May 19, 2009 9:07 pm

There was a forum a few weeks ago where Raptors were thinking that giving up Caldero, the #9 with Hump (or close to that deal) was what they wanted. Now Raptors fans have changed their tune. LOL....Alfred, sorry buddy, nobody is going to give you a 2-Time MVP consistent All-star difference maker for Calderon straight up, whether he is 35 or not. It is just not going to happen, so the offer provided here is not valuable to entice PHX even with Hump asa throw in. Give us the #9 and calderon and we only begin to think about it, I would probably still be inclined to pass.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 9:07 pm

LoserX wrote:And I'm saying that Calderon/Humphries may be worth that to the Raptors, but he is not worth that to the Suns. My vision is clear, thanks.

I think that they are worth that to the Suns. Calderon is almost a decade younger, a very talented point guard, and Steve Nash is a UFA next year. The Suns obviously do this trade. That disparity between Nash and Calderon is definitely a mid-round pick in a weak draft and taking on Kris Humphries. Hell, Humphries isn't even bad.

Also, you did get a little confused there. You were implying that I was saying something that I wasn't.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 9:09 pm

SideSwipe wrote:There was a forum a few weeks ago where Raptors were thinking that giving up Caldero, the #9 with Hump (or close to that deal) was what they wanted. Now Raptors fans have changed their tune. LOL....Alfred, sorry buddy, nobody is going to give you a 2-Time MVP consistent All-star difference maker for Calderon straight up, whether he is 35 or not. It is just not going to happen, so the offer provided here is not valuable to entice PHX even with Hump asa throw in. Give us the #9 and calderon and we only begin to think about it, I would probably still be inclined to pass.

What do you think Steve Nash will sign for next year as a UFA?

Also, the difference in their production is being overblown extremely.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Alfred » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 pm

The difference in PER between Jose Calderon and Steve Nash this past year was .8

Return to Trades and Transactions