ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#441 » by miller31time » Sun May 24, 2009 4:24 am

DallasShalDune wrote:If we can get Rubio for that cheap, I'm calling miracle. Memphis can get way more than that. I'm thinking they probably will get more than that, too.

Unless they really are as cheap as their owner has seemed to be over the course of the last few years.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#442 » by mhd » Sun May 24, 2009 5:18 am

I'd do Mike James+5th+3 Million for Rubio+Jaric.

We could sell the 2nd rounder for cash as well.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#443 » by GilArenas88 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:59 am

First off I'm totally against packaging McGee to move up in this draft unless it was for Griffin which is not happening. But this doesn't seem to be the case since the rumor was dismissed.

Next I'm on and off for Harden. I haven't seen him play much, if at all, but I've read some scouting reports and some articles on him and I've heard words like "Brandon Roy potential" and that he's unselfish, brings intagibles, is good at many aspects of the game, and all these things tempt me to say lets go for him since we need a SG and he seems like a safe pick. On the other hand I've heard of his struggles in the Tournament, and how he's slighlty undersized and not the best athlete and that turns me off a lot.

Today I was reading and article about Hill about how he's a great rebounder, good defensively, is a good two way player and so on and it made me start thing about him. Though it appears he's very slender in build and he really only had one good college season, his last, and we already have two young slender bigmen in Blatche and McGee.

The way I see it at this point is that Blake is the certified number one pick, then theres Thabeet, Rubio, Harden, and Hill filling out the top five. Rubio would probably be a sure fire number 2, but questions of his buyout and unwillingness about joining certain teams may cause a team to trade him even if he's selected at 2. Thabeet seems to be a definite top 3 pick unless someone like Hill, Harden, or some other dark horse really rises on someones board. Hill I think I've seen to go at no worse then 6 or 7, but could rise. Then theres Harden who I've seen as low as 11th pick in some mock drafts, who people either hate or like him a lot. It's going to be interesting to see what our Wiz end up doing.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#444 » by Ji » Sun May 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Rafael122 wrote:From Hoopsworld, I'm not sure how legit they are but here it is:

As the news came out this morning from our friends at Draft Express, that Ricky Rubio was upset at the way the NBA draft lottery turned out, a rumor quickly followed behind that the Memphis Grizzlies would look to trade the pick rather than use it themselves. While Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace has been openly interested in Rubio, we're being told that the Grizzlies would rather have the $3 million they'd likely get from a team looking to move up, as well as a slightly lower pick.

Read the rest here: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12721

I used to write for Hoopsworld if thats any indication lol
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#445 » by fishercob » Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 pm

Ji wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:From Hoopsworld, I'm not sure how legit they are but here it is:

As the news came out this morning from our friends at Draft Express, that Ricky Rubio was upset at the way the NBA draft lottery turned out, a rumor quickly followed behind that the Memphis Grizzlies would look to trade the pick rather than use it themselves. While Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace has been openly interested in Rubio, we're being told that the Grizzlies would rather have the $3 million they'd likely get from a team looking to move up, as well as a slightly lower pick.

Read the rest here: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12721

I used to write for Hoopsworld if thats any indication lol

Seriously?

Did you submit a new, one-line article whenever a thought popped into your head? Did their editorial staff get struck by a rash of inexplicably unlucky injuries during your employment, culminating in their corporate HQ burning down?

:D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#446 » by Rafael122 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm

I think Ji covered weather for the games.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#447 » by Ji » Sun May 24, 2009 4:03 pm

actually, i got "hired" to cover the wizards.It was when I was going through a layoff. I wrote one article and Kevin Broom actually emailed me saying he had enjoyed it.

Then i realized that I would be working for free when I didnt even a job at the time lol. So i quit. Their loss...RealGM Wizard board GAIN:)
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#448 » by daSwami » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

DallasShalDune wrote:If we can get Rubio for that cheap, I'm calling miracle. Memphis can get way more than that. I'm thinking they probably will get more than that, too.

Ah but you forget. Memphis still owes us some "future considerations" for the Sucky Atkins deal. the future is now!
:banghead:
Terpman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#449 » by Terpman » Sun May 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Ah but you forget. Memphis still owes us some "future considerations" for the Sucky Atkins deal. the future is now![/quote]

Winner!!!!
We are the Washington BULLETS!
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#450 » by hands11 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:31 pm

mhd wrote:I'd do Mike James+5th+3 Million for Rubio+Jaric.

We could sell the 2nd rounder for cash as well.

That would be gold.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#451 » by pancakes3 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:35 pm

HAHA! daSwami with a zinger. cue the highhat. i'd love to sit in on the convo between EG and Memphis where he brings up the "future considerations".
Bullets -> Wizards
eltacoman
Junior

Post#452 » by eltacoman » Sun May 24, 2009 6:26 pm

i would throw in the 2010 1st too wow hope this is true just noting involving Mcgee and im good with it :D\

so just in case this team is a bust we have Rubio and Mcgee to fall back on too they will be a unstopable force for our future
steve_steamer
Junior
And1: 3

Post#453 » by steve_steamer » Sun May 24, 2009 6:45 pm

ToneSetter7 wrote:I'll re-post what I wrote in the Lady Luck thread since it was locked:

DeJuan Blair is the next Michael Sweetney. Struggles with his weight and ballooned to 300+ at one point while at Pitt. He'll measure out at 6'6" and he dominated college by big-boying people. At 6'6" that's not gonna work in the NBA. Seen the kid play dozens of times. He was great in the Big East, but so was Luke Harangody. I just can't see Blair, all 6'6" of him, succeeding at power forward in the NBA. His game is predicated on strength, power, and size (width, not height). All that will be negated in the League.

wait for the pre-draft combine measurements i think he is closer to 6ft7 and as a prime example, Glen (Big Baby) Davis, has been a successful power forward using all the intangibles you just used to show that Blair will not be effective in NBA. Davis is lucky to be listed at whatever he is, he's probably just under 6"5 but his post play, strength, knack of being able to do what he does have made him a good post player and he should get a huge raise this off-season.

so dejuan blair can be a very effective nba player, especially since he does what big baby does except better. ..

trade pick to raptors would be awesome! unfortunately there is enough bad contracts on the raptors cant take any more and giving up chris bosh for an aging star won't be enough.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 555

Post#454 » by daSwami » Sun May 24, 2009 7:24 pm

pancakes3 wrote:HAHA! daSwami with a zinger. cue the highhat. i'd love to sit in on the convo between EG and Memphis where he brings up the "future considerations".

yeah, it'd prolly go something like this:

brring brring (that's the phone ringing)

Memphis GM: hello?

Ernie: Hey Chris, it's me, Grunny!

Memphis GM: Yo, Easy- E! What's the haps? Got any more disgruntled Spaniards to give away?

Ernie: Um, no, actually I was calling about something else ...

Memphis GM: I'm all ears.

EG: I read something interesting today on a VERY credible website. Anyhoo, the reporter, a guy named Ji--heard of him?

Memphis GM: Of course I know Ji! The guy with the curse, right? Love that guy!

Ernie: Good for you. (Then, under his breath) Homo.

Memphis GM: Hey I heard that!

Ernie: Anyway, the article said that you might be looking to part with the #2.

Memphis GM: (giggles)

Ernie: what? what's so funny?

Memphis GM: You said "number two." That means poop.

Ernie: Yeah, as in the second overall pick in the draft. We want it.

Memphis GM: ok, what are you offering?

Ernie: Well - here's the thing - we'll give you Etan Thomas, AND ... here's the part I need your help with...

Memphis GM: uh-huh, listening ...

EG: remember those "future considerations" you owe us?

Memphis GM: uh, yeah, and....?

EG: I'm sure those have been weighing heavily on you. Now would be the perfect time to cash those in don't you think?...

Memphis GM: You're right. How about I give those considerations to you right now,ok?

EG: Sure!

Memphis GM: are you ready?

EG: Yup. Fire when ready.

Memphis GM: Ok, I consider your mother a whore. *hangs up laughing, high fives with office mates*
:banghead:
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#455 » by miller31time » Sun May 24, 2009 8:04 pm

:rofl2:
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#456 » by hands11 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks. I needed that.

Send it to the HOF.

That's two posts in one day. The other was the EFJ and the after time out clutch play calling.

It's a rap.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#457 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm

I have a strong feeling that Rubio is going to suck donkey nuts. Adam Morrison style.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#458 » by Kanyewest » Sun May 24, 2009 9:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote::rockon:

I still doubt why Memphis would pass on Rubio instead of picking him and trading him themselves. Would they go for the same package, maybe if we took back Jaric?

Blatche+James+#5

for

Jaric+Rubio

We're already assuming that Abe will pay the tax, so let's go for it!

(Disclaimer - I do have to admit to not being sold on Rubio myself. I"m actually more excited about trading Blatche. From what I saw in the Olympics, I doubt if Rubio has an immediate impact like Chris Paul did. But I absolutely think he can play some NBA minutes right away and I also think he has the potential to play with Arenas. Considering the talent drop off after him, I'm willing to take the chance.)

Perhaps Memphis is really sold on Thabeet being their franchise center. Their biggest need is probably a big man. On their draft board, they have Thabeet significantly rated higher than any other prospect and getting Blatche would probably not be enough to drop the #5. Memphis probably thinks its set in their perimeter players anyways (Conley, Mayo, Gay)

The Thunder may only be willing to trade their pick with Thabeet off the board. The Thunder may see Westbrook as the future of the team and they may not think a Rubio/Westbrook backcourt can coexist.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#459 » by Rafael122 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:27 pm

DX has Rubio falling to #4. Interesting...
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#460 » by pancakes3 » Sun May 24, 2009 11:04 pm

i don't see that happening unless wade and lebron simultaneously retire and redeclare for the draft.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards