ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

#1 pick
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#461 » by #1 pick » Sun May 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I believe that you guy will trade the pick. No one could really fit into what you want to do. You need a proven player like Griffin, Rubio, or Thabeet. The others would need to be 3rd or a lot of PT which isn't the case. I say that the pick will be Gerald Henderson and the teams instrested is:
Milwaukee, San Antonio, and New York. For whom....
Milwaukee: Michael Redd or Charlie V plus the #10 pick.
San Antonio: Manu Ginobili
New York: Nate Robinson plus pick swap.

Gerald Henderson is a superstar potential as a prospect... I see him going in the top 5. He of no use to the Wizards, to be honest, outside of the top 3, this draft is unless for you guys.

OKC wants McGee and nothing less...
Memphis isn't trading out of the spot even with McGee included
Same for LAC...
This is probably your best option.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#462 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 am

#1 Pick, Thabeet is not a proven player. Rubio is probably going to be and Griffin is absolutely one. Thabeet is so raw offensively its not even funny, he is a great shot blocker but that is about it. He did get his lunch taken from him by 6 foot 7 Dejuan Blair.

Gerald Henderson....im sorry, he does not have superstar potential as a prospect. I will tell you who does though, Demar Derozan, but he is probably the biggest BOOM or BUST out there.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
#1 pick
Banned User

Post#463 » by #1 pick » Mon May 25, 2009 12:20 am

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:#1 Pick, Thabeet is not a proven player. Rubio is probably going to be and Griffin is absolutely one. Thabeet is so raw offensively its not even funny, he is a great shot blocker but that is about it. He did get his lunch taken from him by 6 foot 7 Dejuan Blair.

Gerald Henderson....im sorry, he does not have superstar potential as a prospect. I will tell you who does though, Demar Derozan, but he is probably the biggest BOOM or BUST out there.

I totally disagree, go to the NBA Draft section and read my top 11.

As for Henderson, I've been scouting personally since 1998. In the last 6 years I have been very accurate in my descriptions. Henderson reminds me of Vince Carter as a prospect. He is more motivated than Vince and I think he could be what Vince wasn't which is a true superstar. I am not so high on Derozan. He is not a boom or bust but he isn't going to be a superstar. I see his route ending up like Joe Johnson. Somewhere between All Star and Star but not close to Superstardom. None of this helps the Wizards. I feel they need a vet who can come in and score 18+ and who has a complete game. I think the San Antonio trade would help the Wizards the most.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,985

Post#464 » by DCZards » Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 am

Kanyewest wrote:
Perhaps Memphis is really sold on Thabeet being their franchise center. Their biggest need is probably a big man. On their draft board, they have Thabeet significantly rated higher than any other prospect and getting Blatche would probably not be enough to drop the #5. Memphis probably thinks its set in their perimeter players anyways (Conley, Mayo, Gay)

On the money. Memphis has its perimeter players, two of whom will be as good or better than Rubio. They'd be crazy to not take Thabeet as the their defensive/rebounding rock in the middle.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 886

Post#465 » by badinage » Mon May 25, 2009 2:26 am

Seeing Courtney Lee excels in this series -- excel beyond what I thought previously he was capable of -- reminds me what I wrote about him last year, shortly before the draft, when I began to get excited about him coming here.

McGee is intriguing, no doubt. But at this point, you'd have to say Lee is the more polished player -- a rotation guy, a big contributor, on an ECF team.

Here's what I wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Grunfeld -- assuming he keeps the pick -- is going to take Courtney Lee.

Skilled, can shoot, has a midrange game, can slash, can play perimeter D, has some size. There's your backup for C-But.

Oh, and he's also got -- our favorite cliche -- upside.

Don't ask me why I think this; I just do. A hunch. Eddie came in for one day, and it just so happened to be for the day Courtney Lee was in. And you've heard NOTHING about the Wizards and Courtney Lee -- which seems to be the way with Grunfeld, to sneak up on us like that.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#466 » by bulletproof_32 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:32 am

I was at Tyson's Corner today and saw Stephen Curry strolling through Nordstom's with a lady friend. Didn't want to bother him (no one else even "noticed" him) but did stalk him enough to try to get a good eye measurement. Assuming he'll wear shoes in the NBA, I'd say he's in the 6'3-6'4 range, as I'm 6'1 (with shoes) and he easily had 2-3 inches on me (although, I've been working on my bowleggedness recently to increase my defensive ability so my actual height could be hovering around 5'11 these days). He did look kinda long though but also super skinny.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#467 » by closg00 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:I was at Tyson's Corner today and saw Stephen Curry strolling through Nordstom's with a lady friend. Didn't want to bother him (no one else even "noticed" him) but did stalk him enough to try to get a good eye measurement. Assuming he'll wear shoes in the NBA, I'd say he's in the 6'3-6'4 range, as I'm 6'1 (with shoes) and he easily had 2-3 inches on me (although, I've been working on my bowleggedness recently to increase my defensive ability so my actual height could be hovering around 5'11 these days). He did look kinda long though but also super skinny.

Curry is doing his pre-draft work-outs here, anybody know where he's been working out?
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#468 » by bulletproof_32 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 am

Ha, I was wondering that myself when I saw him. There's no place in that area that jumped out at me but I thought he was too far out of the city to be working out downtown so maybe he's doing his work in the NoVa area. Maybe he's working out at Gil's house down the street from Tyson's cuz he has a guarantee from the Wiz.

Edit to add: I saw Kevin Grevey last night. Now if I see a current Wiz player tomorrow I'll be convinced that Curry is coming to DC.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#469 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWAWiyziFg

Found this on the washingtonwizardsblog

Has NY and Jmac along with James Harden
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#470 » by doclinkin » Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 am

AgentOvechkin08 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWAWiyziFg

You're late. It was on the Wiz blog because I posted it there. AFTER I posted it in the 'Tracking the Wiz Offseason' thread.

Mike Jones of the Times tells me he's gonna follow up on this. Hopefully we'll find out more, maybe get an eyes-on account from locals.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#471 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon May 25, 2009 7:25 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:I was at Tyson's Corner today and saw Stephen Curry strolling through Nordstom's with a lady friend. Didn't want to bother him (no one else even "noticed" him) but did stalk him enough to try to get a good eye measurement. Assuming he'll wear shoes in the NBA, I'd say he's in the 6'3-6'4 range, as I'm 6'1 (with shoes) and he easily had 2-3 inches on me (although, I've been working on my bowleggedness recently to increase my defensive ability so my actual height could be hovering around 5'11 these days). He did look kinda long though but also super skinny.

bulletproof_32, I've posted about 25 "Draft Dejuan Blair" related posts.

That said, I feel just as confident that Curry is a super special player and a very good draft pick at #5 because he's got legit PG skills, AND because I think he'll end up the same height as his dad.

Close to 6'5".

As far as I'm concerned, LAST SEASON'S # 5 PICK WILL TURN OUT TO BE THE BEST PLAYER FROM THAT DRAFT. Kevin Love averaged 15.8 points and 12.9 rebounds per 36 minutes and had a PER of 18.3 as a 20 year old rookie. (nate -- I do know Love's defense is atrocious and his overall +/- was a minus as a rookie. Plus, he gets his shot blocked a lot).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eke01.html

I would expect the same of Blair or Curry. Curry's PER IMO could be about 19 or 20, and Blair could be a better rebounder than Love, who's already near the best.

LAST SEASON I thought Love should be top 2 or 3. There were a ton of good rookies last year. Rose, Beasley, Mayo, Gordon, Westbrook, Lopez, and Love among them.

Sorry to rant, but all the poll questions that overwhelmingly say trade the pick IMO should be even with those that say draft Blair, Curry, possibly Evans, possibly Lawson, or probably Harden.

I think the fifth pick could turn out to be just as productive as the second or any other pick.

Curry's stats are impressive. Very impressive.

If he's 6'4" or 6'5" with PG skills, watch out!
Bye bye Beal.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#472 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon May 25, 2009 9:37 am

#1 pick wrote:
AgentOvechkin08 wrote:#1 Pick, Thabeet is not a proven player. Rubio is probably going to be and Griffin is absolutely one. Thabeet is so raw offensively its not even funny, he is a great shot blocker but that is about it. He did get his lunch taken from him by 6 foot 7 Dejuan Blair.

I totally disagree, go to the NBA Draft section and read my top 11.

As for Henderson, I've been scouting personally since 1998. In the last 6 years I have been very accurate in my descriptions. Henderson reminds me of Vince Carter as a prospect. He is more motivated than Vince and I think he could be what Vince wasn't which is a true superstar. I am not so high on Derozan. He is not a boom or bust but he isn't going to be a superstar. I see his route ending up like Joe Johnson. Somewhere between All Star and Star but not close to Superstardom. None of this helps the Wizards. I feel they need a vet who can come in and score 18+ and who has a complete game. I think the San Antonio trade would help the Wizards the most.

Gerald Henderson a top 5 pick, superstar and better VC! Demar DeRozan like Joe Johnson!
Lulz.
You sure have been scouting personally, cause nobody is going to pay you for those kinds of comparisons and propositions.

On a side note, anyway you Washingon fans think your FO would trade the 5th pick to NJ for maybe the 11th and some kind of combo of Yi, Sean Williams, Boone, GSW future pick, lotto protected 2010, or absorbing a small bad contract like Songalia or a big one like Jamison?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
just1bullet
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#473 » by just1bullet » Mon May 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Trade it to Min for the 18th pick and Miller
Washington Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +7.0 ppg, +6.6 rpg, and +2.1 apg.
Incoming Players
Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida
9.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.5 apg in 32.3 minutes
Corey Brewer
6-8 SF from Florida
6.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 apg in 20.5 minutes
Outgoing Players
DeShawn Stevenson
6-5 SG / SF from Washington Union (HS)
6.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.1 apg in 27.7 minutes
Mike James
6-2 PG from Duquesne
2.5 ppg, 0.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 9.2 minutes
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#474 » by doclinkin » Mon May 25, 2009 2:40 pm

closg00 wrote:

Curry is doing his pre-draft work-outs here, anybody know where he's been working out?

He's working with DC-based supertrainer Idan Ravin who used to change fishercob's diaper at Bethesda Hebrew Nursery School and Kibbutz or something.

http://idanravin.com/

Ravin has worked with Gil, Chris Paul, 'Melo, etc. And has soothing mellow music on his website.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,543

Post#475 » by closg00 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:31 pm

^^^^^^

Thanks Doc, I should have read my own link which had the info.
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Ba ... ng_6-to-12

CL: How has the transition been with your move to D.C.?

SC: The transition has been smooth. I've got morning workouts with Idan Ravin. He's really pushing us, working on conditioning, ballhandling and playing while you're tired, which is something that I can benefit from during the workouts that are coming up soon and even the Combine to get me prepared for that. I've got a lifting regimen going three days a week to get stronger. A lot of focus on details in strength and basketball workouts, but things are going well.

CL: Who else are you there working out with?

SC: Some of my partners have been Wesley Matthews from Marquette, Lester Hudson from Tennessee-Martin and Sam Young (from Pitt).
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#476 » by WizarDynasty » Mon May 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Called being a passionate fan that hates seeing his arch nemesis and divisional rivals in championships. And the magic are ten years ahead of us...just one step away from being a dynasty while I have been hoping for the wiz to come close to a dynasty in jordan days nearly seven years ago when I created this login 7 years ago...and we have only slid backwards because of poor gms moves and his lack of ability to bring in two way players in free agency.

Its called hardcore fan disappointment due to low basketball IQ of owner GM and the most of the WIZ think tank... US the posters. Obviously ernie doesn't have a clue...we know wizard players are here...so if u are a helpless fan...your only hope is that someone influential in wiz organization decides to think differently about wizArds longterm core and DC being a champion as opposed to the clippers of the east reputation since they have only been to the second round once in last 30 years and only won two games embarassed. Grand achievement for the last 30 years...that's pathetic...guess I have higher expectations.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#477 » by Kanyewest » Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 pm

I have to disagree with the notion that EG is inferior to building a team in Orlando. The biggest difference was the fact that Orlando won the lottery in 2004 and got to pick Dwight Howard. People also forget the fact that Orlando traded Tracy McGrady for Steve Francis and Mobley. They ended up trading Mobley for a washed up Doug Christie. They traded Trevor Ariza for practically nothing.

Simply put, it's easier to build a team around Dwight Howard, who has missed 3 game in his entire career.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#478 » by fishercob » Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 pm

doclinkin wrote:
closg00 wrote:

He's working with DC-based supertrainer Idan Ravin who used to change fishercob's diaper at Bethesda Hebrew Nursery School and Kibbutz or something.

http://idanravin.com/

Ravin has worked with Gil, Chris Paul, 'Melo, etc. And has soothing mellow music on his website.

:lol:
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#479 » by WizarDynasty » Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I have to disagree with the notion that EG is inferior to building a team in Orlando. The biggest difference was the fact that Orlando won the lottery in 2004 and got to pick Dwight Howard. People also forget the fact that Orlando traded Tracy McGrady for Steve Francis and Mobley. They ended up trading Mobley for a washed up Doug Christie. They traded Trevor Ariza for practically nothing.

Simply put, it's easier to build a team around Dwight Howard, who has missed 3 game in his entire career.

Hedo and lewis are better than any of our front court players even on defense...I wonder how EG allowed that to happen? Lewis>>> jamison and hedo>>>caron. I have been saying this before the season started and now that u see it with your own eyes against lebron...you see why organizAtion isn't going anywhere with EG and polin making longterm personnel decisions. Magic are dominating cavs with gortat in the game. Why because they aren't undersized or below average defensively at any and I repeat any of their starting positions. Called smart longterm GM while our GM trades for undersizEd players...hopeless.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#480 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:27 pm

doclinkin wrote:
AgentOvechkin08 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWAWiyziFg

You're late. It was on the Wiz blog because I posted it there. AFTER I posted it in the 'Tracking the Wiz Offseason' thread.

Mike Jones of the Times tells me he's gonna follow up on this. Hopefully we'll find out more, maybe get an eyes-on account from locals.

WOW, if I really did not even see that you posted it on the wiz blog, i did not look at the name. Also i have not checked that thread recently. Damn....thought i had a good one LOL
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

Return to Washington Wizards