Smith has been working on his jumper
Carneys jumper is aight
Al's 15 footer was looking good last year
Marc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Re: Could we trade Flynn to Portland? 

Post#22 » by Marc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Ricky Rubio + Rudy Fernandez = DKV Joventut backcourt. Enough said.

When wolves seleced Flynn, a trade for Fernandez came to my mind because Blazers need a pg and Fernandez proved to be great. However, i don´t think Blazers are looking to trade Rudy. :(
FairDinkum
Bench Warmer

Post#23 » by FairDinkum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm

All of those Jumpers stink

Craig Smith? Really?...
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#24 » by casey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:39 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:
FairDinkum wrote:Nobody in our starting 5 will have a jumpshot

Brewers jumper looked fine last year
Gomes has a good jumper
Love has a good jumper, and worked on it all summer
Smith has been working on his jumper
Carneys jumper is aight
Al's 15 footer was looking good last year

:lol:
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#25 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:44 pm

can we just lock the whole Wolves Forum for a month and a half, we need to air the place out
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#26 » by call.me.dude » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 pm

No you can't trade Flynn to Portland. :D
1. We're not trading Rudy unless it's for a star player or really great prospect
2. We don't want Flynn, because we value Bayless high and think he can become just as good as Flynn.

But hey, we'll take Rubio anytime. :)
Problem is, we would probably have to give up Rudy as a part of that deal (sucks because Rubio would like to play with Ruyd I guess) and we'd have to be sure he plays with us this season. Because giving up Rudy (+ Bayless + other pieces probably) and then having to wait for one season until Rubio actually joins us would suck.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
DmoneyH3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#27 » by DmoneyH3 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:11 pm

If we didn't already have Bayless, I'd do Rudy for Flynn in a heartbeat.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#28 » by deeney0 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:can we just lock the whole Wolves Forum for a month and a half, we need to air the place out

I don't think it'll take a month and a half for this to calm down. I'm setting and over/under of 18.5 days.
Marc
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by Marc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 pm

DmoneyH3 wrote:If we didn't already have Bayless, I'd do Rudy for Flynn in a heartbeat.

But in the sg position you have Roy! And Fernandez is also a sg. Rudy can not be more than a 6th man in the Blazers rotation.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#30 » by Esohny » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:04 pm

call.me.dude wrote:No you can't trade Flynn to Portland. :D
1. We're not trading Rudy unless it's for a star player or really great prospect
2. We don't want Flynn, because we value Bayless high and think he can become just as good as Flynn.

But hey, we'll take Rubio anytime. :)
Problem is, we would probably have to give up Rudy as a part of that deal (sucks because Rubio would like to play with Ruyd I guess) and we'd have to be sure he plays with us this season. Because giving up Rudy (+ Bayless + other pieces probably) and then having to wait for one season until Rubio actually joins us would suck.

Why does a player who is solid on offense and a big liability on defense merit a star player or great prospect? The only reason that I'd want Rudy more than any number of other SGs would be to make Rubio more comfortable, and I'd want something else with him.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
tviper
Sixth Man
And1: 260

Post#31 » by tviper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Trading for Oden would be a huge mistake...it should be clear now to everyone that he is a huge bust (for the expectations that were on him and in view of Durant)...the trade is in 2010 with the Lakers for Bynum...
casey
General Manager
And1: 7

Post#32 » by casey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm

A huge bust? He just finished his rookie year.
"I'm Ricky Rubio."
--Ricky Rubio
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#33 » by Tekkenlaw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Ish, wolves start he blazers rebuild by giving them Roy, then complete their rebuild by trading them Flynn?
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#34 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:17 pm

yeah, it's a bit early to be calling Oden a bust...

also, if there's a trade that's mutually beneficial with any team, you have to pull the trigger. Portland or not.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
TheRipCityGuru
Junior
And1: 1

Post#35 » by TheRipCityGuru » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:20 pm

I think Oden is already just as good as Bynum....Oden played 22 MPG and Bynum 29 MPG

2008-09 Season Comparison
Player Team G MIN PPG FG FGP FT FTP FG3 FG3P RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF
A. Bynum LAL 50 1444 14.3 281 .560 152 .707 0 .000 8.0 1.4 0.4 1.8 85 157
Greg Oden POR 61 1312 8.9 198 .564 144 .637 0 .000 7.0 0.5 0.4 1.1 87 238
call.me.dude
Rookie

Post#36 » by call.me.dude » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Esohny wrote:
Why does a player who is solid on offense and a big liability on defense merit a star player or great prospect? The only reason that I'd want Rudy more than any number of other SGs would be to make Rubio more comfortable, and I'd want something else with him.

I said "as a part of a deal" only a few lines later. Rudy for Rubio or star player is obviously not gonna happen but I never said that.

To your second statement: Rudy has been a 10+ ppg scorer in his rookie season playing behind Brandon Roy and playing only 26 mpg and being utilized almost exclusively as a spot-up shooter. The system (i.e. the role that Nate gave him) didn't allow him to play as good as he can and show everything he can do. And still he scored the ball extremely well and showed good passing ability. He's clutch, has a high BB IQ, is a team player, is constantly moving and gives 100 % effort. Not sure how you can not see his potential. I'm not saying he will be the next Ginobili (and I don't think he will be), but I think of him as a 17/3.5/3.5 guy off the bench (for our team maybe 15-16/3.5/3.5) in 30-32 mpg that changes games with his energy and 3pt shooting. Basically Ginobili with not as much driving ability (that's why he won't be as good) but maybe better shooting.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#37 » by Esohny » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:35 pm

It's not like he's a normal "rookie." The guy had previous experience. I don't hate the guy, but we just traded a decent offensive SG with no D, his name was Randy Foye. What else do we get with Rudy for the 2nd best prospect in the draft?
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
call.me.dude
Rookie

Post#38 » by call.me.dude » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:17 am

Esohny wrote:What else do we get with Rudy for the 2nd best prospect in the draft?

Hm, hard to say.
How about something like Rudy + Bayless + Outlaw + rights to Joel Freeland for Rubio + Brewer + Henk Norel?

It gives you

- Rudy: a SG that can be close to a 20 ppg scorer (at the very least a very efficient 15/3.5/3.5 guy in his prime), has playmaking skills, brings energy/hustle and is a good fit next to Flynn and with Love/Jefferson (on kick-outs) since he's a 3pt assassin
- Bayless: an attacking PG/SG with an incredible swagger and work ethic, who is also a good defender. You could bring him off the bench or, in 1-2 years, start him. He has just as much potential as Flynn IMO.
- Outlaw: a supersub SF/PF, that is one of the NBA's best 6th men and clutch. And if you don't want him, you could simply renounce his contract and save 3.6 million. Keeping him is the better option for you by far though.
- the better and probably more talented player between the two Euro PFs*
- some quality pieces for next year (and the following seasons) instead of having to wait for Rubio

Not sure how high you guys value Brewer..
Other guys on your roster like Songaila (trade restriction), Gomes (huge contract), Telfair (not again), Thomas (trade restriction + expiring), Madsen, Cardinal or Smith (expirings) would probably not make much sense and are difficult to be traded. So Brewer is pretty much the only one that makes sense. For you because he's coming off an injury and didn't really produce much so far. For us because he's not a bad player, especially defensively, and is a quality backup (he would probably not play more than 15 mpg) at SF.

*(The Freeland/Norel swap: You guys get the better player, who is a half year older, but has just as much if not more upside and is already an important rotation player with better stats (scoring, rebounding), even on a per40 basis. We get Rubio's teammate to keep him happy.)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,876

Post#39 » by shrink » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 am

TheRipCityGuru wrote:I think Oden is already just as good as Bynum.

I remember the days when that used to be a really big deal.

Yes, its Oden's first year, but you can't neglect the value drop because injury made it so, despite two years in the NBA. And there is a reason Oden only played 22 MPG too -- because he can't stop fouling people. Now, I personally wouldn't call him a huge bust, but compared to the hype he had two years ago, simply being a good starting center is so far below that, the definition could be applied as a comparison.

I can't imagine a team that we'd be less likely to help out with Rubio than division rival POR. I'm not enamored with Rudy Fernandez. I think he gets over-hyped because he was acquired by POR. I remember all the hype Sergio got for one year.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#40 » by revprodeji » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:44 am

gjn19 wrote:i'm not concerned about defense from the new backcourt. rubio is ok, and think will improve. flynn is already a very intense defender with a good nose. tough. but might be a little too short.

i'm more concerned about the offense with those 2. both can't shoot. i mean, they are really bad shooters. we can't take advantage of their passing abilities, when they can't drain those shots. both are at only 50% when not having the ball. both need the ball to get to their full potential.

Rubio is already 6'5 he will fill out and need to defend SG as the quick pg and no hand check rule will hurt him guarding fast pg. But with his size he should have no problem with SG's. If the SG is going to post then the coach/team needs to respond.

Why do people think Flynn cannot shoot? 52% on 2pt, 79 on FT, his 1.24 PPP in unguarded catch and shoot situations and .94 PPP on pull up jumpers are both very respectable. I know he got only 32 of his 3pt shots, but that can improve as his range increases. He already has a nice mid range shot. Couple those tools with his capacity to drive in both directions and his ability to draw fouls (16.1% SF) and he can score.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves