Image ImageImage Image

Re-sign Ben Gordon Poll

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Should the Chicago Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon for the 9-11 million he would get elsewhere?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 115

Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Re-sign Ben Gordon Poll 

Post#21 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:07 am

AirP. wrote:This team has the ability to add a bigtime PF to a team that has a lot of great VALUED talent, meaning a premade ready to be elite team...
PG - Rose
SG - Salmons(unless he opts out) or possibly Hinrich(if we can't move him)
SF - Deng(overpaid but a solid defender, rebounder and ok 3rd or 4th option)
PF - Tyrus(unless we let him go)
C - Noah

Ben Gordon is not the crux of whether we have money for a big Free Agent in 2010 though. Kirk should have been off this team last year. Salmons could be gone with a trade or simply opting out next year. Either way, he's too old to be building with the next 2-5 years with Rose. We could also let Deng rebuild his value to a degree then trade him. All these players have less value to the team than Gordon and do less to make the team appealing to a superstar coming here.

Simply having Derrick Rose + Big man star really isn't winning us anything that I see. Tyrus and Noah are never going to work as a tandem as far as I'm concerned and as soon as Gar and Pax realize that the better. Maybe that is why we took Taj and Johnson, because TT is outta here.

You also aren't looking at the high possibility that a trade is the most likely way to acquire a player like Bosh or Amare not outright free agency. I would prefer NOT to trade Gordon as a centerpiece in such a deal, would rather deal Deng, Tyrus, picks, etc, but if we had to BG is far more attractive piece going back to a team losing a star, because he can fill a large part of the scoring void the other team is losing.

The team has plenty of options with moving players to where Gordon is not the linchpin of 2010. He is actually a productive player that is young enough to be here long term with Rose and someone like Bosh into the future. Painting resigning Gordon as some kind of killing off of any 2010 hopes seems like a strawman argument to me, for someone that just isn't a fan of Gordon.

If you agree that Deng and Kirk were overpaid, and that Gordon would be far more worth the money at around 9-10 million, why not do everything we can to retain the worthwhile player and deal off the bad deals? Not just keep the bloated contracts, which make a good team actually harder to assemble around Rose.
esk835
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#22 » by esk835 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 am

i guess i just seem to think that he is not worth 9+ million dollars. i don't like the way he plays sometimes, it's a love hate thing. he will win you some games when the bulls are down by 8 with 3 min to go in the 4th, but at the same time he usually is the reason why we're down.

we're way too reliant on him as a player. and that's the sign of a bad team that would never win a championship. we have kirk's salary and deng's salary already and it's just to much to spend on a player like gordon. it wouldn't be for amare or bosh obviously. also call me crazy but i would rather have hinrich than gordon. that's just my opinion though
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#23 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:55 am

unless we have some secret promise from Dwade for next summer..yes we should sign BG for 9-11 mil a year
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#24 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:57 am

gordon should have gotten deng's paycheck but i'll be angry if he gets 11mil per year just not worth it anymore
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
BOBBA LUI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by BOBBA LUI » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 am

I just don't see Gordon signing any contract in the immediate future. This guy will undoubtably hold out the summer for every possible offer thrown his way. If Gordon and the Bulls can't find common ground, I'd hope they push hard for a S&T before ever considering overpaying Gordon.
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#26 » by eierluke » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:51 am

Depends on the price, I'd be against offering a single cent more that what we offered last summer.

I'm wondering anyway, for almost five years on and on I've been predicting here a trade to a team where he get's the chance to metamorphose into a Billupps like PG.
It hasn't happened, but I still believe that he'd have more value on a team that wants him to fulfill that task or to a team that already has a G with size able to handle the PG duties (Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy). Since he'd have more value to such a team, maths say that eventually one of such teams should outbid us.
From Ben Gordons pov. I'd welcome such a change, since our plan still is to waste his time at SG anyway.
sven petersson
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#27 » by boogydown » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 am

Id go as high as 6/66, but nothing more.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#28 » by jax98 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm

boogydown wrote:Id go as high as 6/66, but nothing more.

That's the exact number I have as my high, too.

I think Gordon is worth $11 million tops, and I'd be thrilled if we got him for $9 million. Looking around the league, the players better than him at the shooting guard position are getting paid more than $11 million a year. Even inferior players like Michael Redd and Jason Richardson are earning big bucks. Not saying they are worth it, of course. But Gordon at $10-11 million isn't a bad contract.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,195

Post#29 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Rerisen wrote:Ben Gordon is not the crux of whether we have money for a big Free Agent in 2010 though. Kirk should have been off this team last year. Salmons could be gone with a trade or simply opting out next year. Either way, he's too old to be building with the next 2-5 years with Rose. We could also let Deng rebuild his value to a degree then trade him. All these players have less value to the team than Gordon and do less to make the team appealing to a superstar coming here.

Simply having Derrick Rose + Big man star really isn't winning us anything that I see. Tyrus and Noah are never going to work as a tandem as far as I'm concerned and as soon as Gar and Pax realize that the better. Maybe that is why we took Taj and Johnson, because TT is outta here.

You also aren't looking at the high possibility that a trade is the most likely way to acquire a player like Bosh or Amare not outright free agency. I would prefer NOT to trade Gordon as a centerpiece in such a deal, would rather deal Deng, Tyrus, picks, etc, but if we had to BG is far more attractive piece going back to a team losing a star, because he can fill a large part of the scoring void the other team is losing.

The team has plenty of options with moving players to where Gordon is not the linchpin of 2010. He is actually a productive player that is young enough to be here long term with Rose and someone like Bosh into the future. Painting resigning Gordon as some kind of killing off of any 2010 hopes seems like a strawman argument to me, for someone that just isn't a fan of Gordon.

If you agree that Deng and Kirk were overpaid, and that Gordon would be far more worth the money at around 9-10 million, why not do everything we can to retain the worthwhile player and deal off the bad deals? Not just keep the bloated contracts, which make a good team actually harder to assemble around Rose.

Rose and very good big man won't win anything alone... but that is a GREAT framework to build around in the next few years... the problem for most teams, they don't have the ability to build around those players quickly(a couple of years).

Maybe TT is out of here, but if JJ is the answer at PF, the question isn't who do we have at PF on a championship team.

At 9 million, sure Gordon's a solid value, I'm still not sold that he can be on the court for any amount of decent time without being THE option on the court, sure a game or 2 here and there, but he's a scorer at heart... not just a shooter, A SCORER, he takes a BUNCH of bad shots... and he did that this year with Rose showing the ability to dominate a game in the playoffs. I have SERIOUS concerns that Gordon's alpha dog mentality on offense would be a problem in the starting lineup with a good starting 4 around him.... it's why I want him off the bench and if he said he would accept it... I'd drop 11 million a year to have the ulitimate chance of pulling out a "get out of jail card" when this team is in trouble.

With a team built around a scoring PF and a dynamic PG like Rose... we'd just need roleplayers around them... a good hard working guy in the low post(Noah), a SF who has to get his points in the flow of the offense(Deng)/and probably a long distance shooting SF... and at SG, a guy who can hit the 3pt shot, but we don't need the one on one mentality that Gordon has with those starting guys.

You put Bosh or Amare(if he's healthy) with Rose, Hinrich, Deng, PF, Noah and you have a team that will be an ELITE team for as long as you keep this core together and you can keep tweaking it with roleplayers.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#30 » by Shootdabull » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm

AirP. wrote:When Wallace, Hinrich and Deng were overpaid we weren't looking at being active in the summer of 2010, we now have the option of being very active in 2010.

It's quite possible that keeping Gordon may hender our chance at really reshaping this roster around Rose... and to be quite honest, Rose and Gordon don't mesh all that well, it's usually either or with the 2 guys, it's just that they're both quality players. Give me the ability to get a big who can score and I'll take my chances on finding a solid defensive SG that can hit the open jumper when Rose or our PF creates an opening for them. I like Tyrus... but if he can't set a good pick and run a good pick and roll with Rose just renounce him if we have to, to create as much space under the salary cap(not luxury tax cap) to get what we need to put around Rose.

I don't think people quite understand how often a franchise gets a redo on their roster, we got a get out of jail card with Rose and have the chance to add some pieces quite quickly around him.

The #1 priority for this franchise has to be getting a big man to go with Rose for the long term, not resign a sharp shooting one on one guy. I'm not saying Gordon's a bad player, but we have to have our priorities to move forward with Rose....

Assuming bosh or amare are your targets, I think you would have a better chance of getting them through a sign and trade as they are going to want max contracts and there current teams can pay more. This gives you another trading chip and with more wins the bulls will be a more desirable landing spot. In addition a big man looks at at back court of rose & ben & kirk to go along with him & thinks we would have a chance. These guys will have there choice of places to go & we need to look like the most attractive option.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#31 » by LoveDaBoo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 pm

coldfish wrote:I would hope that the Bulls would sign him to the deal that they tossed around last year, which was $9M per year.

At $11M per year, I wouldn't be too happy about it. Gordon would have to improve or the money dynamics in the NBA would have to change to prevent him from immediately becoming a bad contract.

And yes, $2M per year is enough of a change to justify those differing views.

This. And let us not forget that the NBA threatens to transform into, as Bill Simmons puts it, the "No Benjamins Association." Borderline contracts may end up being albatrosses in the near future.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#32 » by LoveDaBoo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:07 pm

Waddle & Silvy just came on, and Silvy mentioned that they were going to have Pippen on to talk free agency later. He also threw out that there's a rumor that the Bulls are planning on going after Gordon in a big way. Take that for what it's worth.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
northbrookrich
Veteran
And1: 54

Post#33 » by northbrookrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm not worried about albatross contracts after seeing Hughes, Gooden, Nocioni, Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Zach Randolph, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, Jerome James, Stephen Jackson and on and on getting traded over and over again. If Gordon is paid 11, 12, 13, he would still be tradeable in the right deal. You may have to trade him to a contender with an injury and an expiring deal, but it could get done absent a severe regression in his abilities or a serious injury.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,399

Post#34 » by coldfish » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm

The key to gage the Bulls' interest in Gordon is JR. He personally met with some Bulls players and Kobe. Possibly Ben Wallace too. In the past, he had no stake in Gordon negotiations. If he tries to meet with Gordon on July 1, the Bulls are serious. If not, then no. Its possibly all window dressing.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,195

Post#35 » by AirP. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:17 pm

LoveDaBoo wrote:Waddle & Silvy just came on, and Silvy mentioned that they were going to have Pippen on to talk free agency later. He also threw out that there's a rumor that the Bulls are planning on going after Gordon in a big way. Take that for what it's worth.

Seems odd after how they've been with Gordon in the past. Would not be surprised if this is damage control for when he leaves... Gar may have the "name", but it's still the same people making the decisions. Think of the D'Antoini debacle.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#36 » by Leto » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:55 pm

Broussard was just on First Take and said that Ben's people are saying the Pistons will offer him around 11 per. He said if the Bulls get anywhere close to that, he thinks BG will stay with the Bulls.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#37 » by jax98 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:56 pm

$11 million a year is my top. So I'd do it.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#38 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm

6/60.

Get it done.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#39 » by Woody Allen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 pm

With a market/financial situation like this, anything above 6/50 is overpaying him. And 11 million per year is just ridiculous.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Post#40 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 pm

I'll say what I've been saying: It doesn't matter if they sign him or not. Given that not signing aids in going after a major free agent in 2010, while not meaningfully damaging the team in the short term, I'd pass. So I voted "no."

However, you won't read me bitching about it if they do sign him. I'd lean towards not signing him, but I'm pretty much meh about the whole damn thing.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls