ImageImageImage

The Tom Moore Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Re: The Tom Moore Thread 

Post#1361 » by tmoore » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:42 am

sixerfan1976 wrote:other question is..if lou is your PG....you get a backup thru vet min.....what do you use the MLE on...every other position is two deep

lou/vet min/jrue
iguodala/green
thad/kapono
brand/speights
sam/smith

Could be a big, in anticipation of a Dalembert trade at the Feb. deadline ...
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,895

Post#1362 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:51 am

Tom:

Speights should have started playing the day that Brand was out for the season.

I am REALLY tired of Stefanski's "GM-ing to save my job" act. Seriously. If they are REALLY going to try to sell us on a Lou/Holiday/minimum salary PG rotation (which, by extension, is an admission that the 2009-2010 season is a season of player development and waiting for contracts to become tradable), then WHY THE F*CK did they not go into that mode once Brand went down this past February? We blew a GOLDEN opportunity to do SO many thiings...

- Play Lou more at PG;

- Start Speights and get him 20-25 mpg

- Play Iguodala at the 2 and Thad at the 3...

What possible benefit did this franchise get from starting Willie Green at SG and giving Reggie Evans so many minutes? And if you are telling me that it was important to make the playoffs last season, then how the f*ck is that consistent with our approach this summer in FA? Huh?

I see teams all around the league pushing the envelope - many of them using THE EXACT SAME MLE CONTRACT that we have - to make moves to try to get better...and STefanski is going to try to sell us Ronnie FREAKING Price and Anthony FREAKING Parker (and Parker - a SG?!? - why the hell would we sign him if the goal is to have Iguodala as our SG by December?).

And the Sixers FO, Snider and the Roberts boys wonder why the Sixers are COMPLETELY irrelevant in this town? Huh??

Philly sports fans know a fraud franchise when they see it. They can SMELL when an ownership group is paying LIP SERVICE to the concept of WINNING. They can see - VERY CLEARLY - when a general manager is going "all in"...and when a GM is in job protection mode. Say what you will about the Flyers decision to trade a highly promising young defensemen and TWO NUMBER ONE PICKS for a 35-year old guy who may or may not still be a horse...many of the Flyers fan base at least appreciate Holmgren going for it...

Ed Snider signed off on the Pronger deal. I wonder if he is also signing off on the Ronnie Price deal.

"Ronnie Price! Way to GO for it, Ed!"

If there was a word that was more pathetic than "pathetic", I would use it right about now.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#1363 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:54 am

bebopdeluxe wrote:Tom:

Speights should have started playing the day that Brand was out for the season.

I am REALLY tired of Stefanski's "GM-ing to save my job" act. Seriously. If they are REALLY going to try to sell us on a Lou/Holiday/minimum salary PG rotation (which, by extension, is an admission that the 2009-2010 season is a season of player development and waiting for contracts to become tradable), then WHY THE F*CK did they not go into that mode once Brand went down this past February? We blew a GOLDEN opportunity to do SO many thiings...

- Play Lou more at PG;

- Start Speights and get him 20-25 mpg

- Play Iguodala at the 2 and Thad at the 3...

What possible benefit did this franchise get from starting Willie Green at SG and giving Reggie Evans so many minutes? And if you are telling me that it was important to make the playoffs last season, then how the f*ck is that consistent with our approach this summer in FA? Huh?

I see teams all around the league pushing the envelope - many of them using THE EXACT SAME MLE CONTRACT that we have - to make moves to try to get better...and STefanski is going to try to sell us Ronnie FREAKING Price and Anthony FREAKING Parker (and Parker - a SG?!? - why the hell would we sign him if the goal is to have Iguodala as our SG by December?).

And the Sixers FO, Snider and the Roberts boys wonder why the Sixers are COMPLETELY irrelevant in this town? Huh??

Philly sports fans know a fraud franchise when they see it. They can SMELL when an ownership group is paying LIP SERVICE to the concept of WINNING. They can see - VERY CLEARLY - when a general manager is going "all in"...and when a GM is in job protection mode. Say what you will about the Flyers decision to trade a highly promising young defensemen and TWO NUMBER ONE PICKS for a 35-year old guy who may or may not still be a horse...many of the Flyers fan base at least appreciate Holmgren going for it...

Ed Snider signed off on the Pronger deal. I wonder if he is also signing off on the Ronnie Price deal.

"Ronnie Price! Way to GO for it, Ed!"

If there was a word that was more pathetic than "pathetic", I would use it right about now.

So you are looking forward to this season :D
Kevin12
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#1364 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:55 am

Okay, what blockbuster do you want Stefanski and Snider to sign off on?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1365 » by agiaco » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:15 am

How many minutes are the Sixers expecting out of Jrue his rookie year? I guess it's kind of hard to say now but I'm just curious.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#1366 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:15 am

Not even a blockbuster. I think these guys wanna see us go after it. Be a winning team.

I would too. But, we don't have many pieces to trade. And not only that: But the return is ****

The talent around the league SUCKS and I mean it sucks.
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#1367 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:16 am

Yeah, that's the thing.

Everyone wants the Sixers to go out and make moves.

But, what moves, and with what pieces?
Westbrook36ptII
Junior

Post#1368 » by Westbrook36ptII » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:26 am

I don't want them to go out and make moves. There are no moves. Sign a couple mid level FAs and get ready for camp.
Temp using this account until I can get Westbrook36 back.
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#1369 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:35 am

Hopefully you guys aren't Charlie Buckets deep down looking for that ticket.

We are a winning ball team, IMO.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#1370 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:38 am

I want consistency of an approach. I want them to show us that they have a plan - a CONSISTENT plan - and stick to it. If the starting PG rotation this upcoming season is Williams/Holiday/cheap-azz FA, what does that tell YOU about their expectations for the season...huh?

If you don't want to pizz the season away, how about Jarrett Jack instead of some scrub minimum salary FA? Any discussion of him, Tom or sf76? Probably not - he would cost MONEY. Unlike Parker, Jack can play two positions...including one - POINT GUARD - where we might be a little short on talent or experience come October. And if your response is "well, I'd rather see if Lou can handle the point", then WHY THE F*CK didn't he play the point more last season? Huh?

"Well, we had Andre Miller...and we had ROYAL FREAKING IVEY!!!"

So - to recap - after our bell-cow went down with a season-ending injury last February, instead of using that opportunity to play the kids and answer some VERY important questions about our personnel (questions that are STILL unanswered, by the way), we decided to do whatever we could to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS...starting Willie Green...playing Evans over Speights (even after a 21-game stretch where Speights showed that he could handle an increased workload - especially when he got to play with the starters...I refer you to his "close and late" stats at 82games.com for supporting documentation),...

All I heard from Stefanski the past month or so was, "well, if Turkoglu doesn't hit that shot..."

And yet, you expect the fans of this franchise to buy off on a PG rotation of Lou/Holiday/Price? You expect us to buy off on "well, we now have Elton Brand and Jason Smith!"

Sorry.

I see teams being AGGRESSIVE with the MLE to make their teams better. We could be doing the same. Did we talk to Gortat? Nope...we don't have to upgrade the center position - we have Elton Brand. Are we talking to Jarrett Jack - even if for no other reason than to see if we could get Miller to THINK that we will aggressively move to Plan B unless he accepts two years?

Ha.

They don't have to trade for Shaq or send the entire roster and front office to Detriot to talk to 'Sheed. They just need to show a freaking pulse.

Is that too much to ask?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#1371 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:42 am

bebopdeluxe wrote: cheap-azz FA

Ronnie Price's new nickname
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1372 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:48 am

tmoore wrote:My prediction for Sixers' opening-night starters: Williams, Iguodala, Young, Brand and Dalembert. I know Jordan said Iguodala would begin as a forward, but he'll change his mind. Don't really like Williams at the point, but I think he'll get his chance this year.

If you go with this lineup, Iguodala is probably more of the point or lead guard than Lou...and I would be OK with that. I've stated before that if they could upgrade the two, play that shooter next to Iguodala and let him run the show. He's not perfect there, but he's good enough and you create size mismatches while maintaining a nice defensive group.

I'm not optimistic if a Miller s/t falls through, but I would consider some shooters and let Iguodala handle the ball more if that is the best scenario.
Westbrook36ptII
Junior

Post#1373 » by Westbrook36ptII » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:49 am

Kevin12 wrote:Hopefully you guys aren't Charlie Buckets deep down looking for that ticket.

We are a winning ball team, IMO.

Winning what?
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#1374 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:53 am

I want consistency of an approach. I want them to show us that they have a plan - a CONSISTENT plan - and stick to it. If the starting PG rotation this upcoming season is Williams/Holiday/cheap-azz FA, what does that tell YOU about their expectations for the season...huh?
It tells me that there are three high priced free agents available and only one with a real interest in playing here. That man is 34 and wants 3 years, $30 million.

If you don't want to pizz the season away, how about Jarrett Jack instead of some scrub minimum salary FA? Any discussion of him, Tom or sf76? Probably not - he would cost MONEY. Unlike Parker, Jack can play two positions...including one - POINT GUARD - where we might be a little short on talent or experience come October. And if your response is "well, I'd rather see if Lou can handle the point", then WHY THE F*CK didn't he play the point more last season? Huh?
Jarret Jack is a RESTRICTED free agent that received a qualifying offer from his current team. He is a valuable big guard that is counted on to carry the load for a team that isn't satisfied with the on and off again starter T.J. Ford. The Pacers will match any offer under $6 million and if we offered more than $6 million, we would be idiots. And actually, Anthony Parker did play some PG this year and actually posted a PER of +6 than what he did as a SG at an astonishing 19.

So stop your rant please.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1375 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:58 am

Short of giving up Thad or Speights, there are probably not many moves to be made...getting Jrue as the PG of the future has me pretty pumped. If they can get something of value in a s/t for Miller, all the better, but I want to see what this kid can do.
STChaser
Starter

Post#1376 » by STChaser » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:08 am

I agree that Speights should have been playing as soon as Brand went down. Not giving him significant minutes was inexcusable in my opinion and did indicate that our GM was more interested in job security.

STChaser
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#1377 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:24 am

freshie:

I am pumped about Holiday as well...and if the REAL reason why they are not trying to do something more aggressive this summer at PG is that they think the kid can be a starter by 2010-11, that's great...and I am even OK with committing to the Lou/Holiday/Price PG rotation and accept the 40-45 wins and first-round playoff loss that will probably result. But if they are really planning to do that, then the way that they handled playing time last season after Brand went dow is utterly inexcusable and downright negligent. What is the difference between going with Lou/Holiday/Price at PG and starting Speights (who Stefanski puts out there as an "untouchable") when Brand went down and playing Iggy/Thad at the 2/3?

Answer? There IS no difference.

My only hope is that, when pressed as to why he is not bringing in a more seasoned PG to bridge the gap between Miller and Holiday...when he is asked if he is prepared for the growing pains (and losses) that will inevitably come from that decision...and when he is asked what the difference is between going with Lou/Holiday at PG this season and putting Speights in the starting lineup (and playing Iggy and Thad at the 2 and 3) when Brand went down, I hope that Stefanski has the sack to say, "in retrospect, that was a missed opportunity...I f*cked up...but I learned from that decision, and that is why we are going with the "Lou and Jrue" show this season..."

Any odds on hearing that admission?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#1378 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:37 am

Free Agent PG'S:
Mike Bibby
Stephon Marbury
Jason Kidd
Anthony Carter
Jason Hart
Allen Iverson
Jarrett Jack
Shannon Brown
Juan Carlos Navarro
Ramon Sessions
Kevin Ollie
Nate Robinson
Tyronn Lue
Bobby Jackson
Brevin Knight
Ronnie Price

Top 3 PG'S:
Mike Bibby
Jason Kidd
Bobby Jackson

Top 3-prospect PG'S:
Shannon Brown
Nate Robinson
Juan Carlos Navarro

The reason I don't have Jack/Sessions on there is because MIL/INDI may retain them. Nate Robinson would bring shooting, scoring and a bit of spunk to this team. Why not.
76STholder
Sophomore

Post#1379 » by 76STholder » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:41 am

I have read several pages of rants about how bad the sixers are going to be this year if Lou plays the point. I am alittle confused and tired of reading of how dumb and bad the sixers are with no final team ready to go into camp. This is a complete waste of time on writers and us reading.

As far as I know, Lou has not played the point as a starter EVER. So, we don't know how bad or good he is going to be since he has not done it. Agreed, if he played like he did last year, BAD. But, we don't know.

We don't know how Elton is going to be. Could be a stud or a Webber, but we don't know.

Iguodala may do great at the 2 with getting his shot from outside down this summer. But we don't know.

Thad may play defense like he did against Turky, be we don't know.

Speights may stink at rebounding and defending like last year, but we don't know.

Miller may come back (which I hope not), but we don't know.

Sammy may play dumb like he has for years, but w/ a new coach, yep, you got it now, but we don't know. And, he may not even be here!

As much as we could stink this year, this could happen also:

Lou becomes an awesome shooter and Jrue takes off and becomes our point, AI9 and Elton dominate as forwards and Sammy gets a new life and becomes on a mission and Thad is the 6 man of the year and we win it all, but, we don't know.

So, can I suggest, instead of saying we stink, we are lottery, we will win a round and out, how about talking players and moves, and leave what will happen till this fall and winter since WE DON'T KNOW!!!

Thank you for reading my thoughts but I really don't know what to think of the sixers this year. But, I will say one thing, I am planning on being at the Wachovia each game rooting and hoping we go 82-0!
Westbrook36ptII
Junior

Post#1380 » by Westbrook36ptII » Fri Jul 3, 2009 3:45 am

Forget 82-0 maybe we can go 98-0.

First team to not lose one game for the regular season and into the playoffs in NBA history.

If anyone can do it, it is those bad boys from Philly.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers