ImageImage

Malik Allen traded to Denver?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Re: Malik Allen traded to Denver? 

Post#101 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 am

paulpressey25 wrote:(and for you newbies I'm old but nowhere near that old....only Trevor Hoffman old)

Wow, you're younger than my mom's youngest sibling. Now that makes me feel old. :(
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,601

Post#102 » by Bernman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:21 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Well whatever it is, I'm just glad I could remind PP of a time before he collected social security. It was only two years before he started collecting it, but it reminds him of his younger years and a simpler time. :wink:

Yeah, yeah.....me and Yi went to see The Graduate when it was first run in theatres......

(and for you newbies I'm old but nowhere near that old....only Trevor Hoffman old)

I know, I know, it's just the references you use which makes it seem that way. But ask you about Marques Johnson, and you're like, "woah dude, I have no idea who that is, that was way before my time". Before the time where you weren't high on acid?
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,511

Post#103 » by old skool » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:We won't need to replace Allen/Weems with anyone.
Redd, Bogut, Gadz, Amir Johnson, Kurt Thomas, Bell, Alexander, Elson, Mbah A Moute, Jennings, Meeks, Ersan, Sessions.

There's 13 players right there. Minimum roster requirements met. I prefer if the Bucks don't carry more than 13 players anyway. If they want more than 13 players, Trade Ridnour for two players who combined make less than he does.

Yes, I see. I was quickly looking at shamsports and not adding Ilyasova and Meeks - two obvious additions. My bad.

And I was counting on possibly being Kurt Thomas being gone, based on the sentiment from many here, and based on the very limited number of minutes that he played last season.

I agree about running with only 13 on the roster. That will be the new trend in the NBA. Fill out last minute injury needs with ten day contracts.

But my larger point has some validity: if you keep shedding enough partial contracts, you end up paying for the equivalent of an entire player or more, and still have to round out the roster. So you could end up paying twice for all or part of an end of bench journeyman. Sometimes it might make more sense to hold onto a player, even if you could shed some more salary. That might be what happens with Kurt Thomas.

Yes the Bucks could negotiate a buyout with Kurt Thomas, but if they end up signing another player to fill some minutes because KT is no longer on the roster, then the Bucks do not save 100% of the money that was originally projected as "savings".

oLd sKool
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#104 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 am

PP is an old Blue Duke, probably black and white photos :wink:
Go Bucks!
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#105 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:05 am

old skool wrote:
GrandAdmiralDan wrote:We won't need to replace Allen/Weems with anyone.
Redd, Bogut, Gadz, Amir Johnson, Kurt Thomas, Bell, Alexander, Elson, Mbah A Moute, Jennings, Meeks, Ersan, Sessions.

There's 13 players right there. Minimum roster requirements met. I prefer if the Bucks don't carry more than 13 players anyway. If they want more than 13 players, Trade Ridnour for two players who combined make less than he does.

Yes, I see. I was quickly looking at shamsports and not adding Ilyasova and Meeks - two obvious additions. My bad.

And I was counting on possibly being Kurt Thomas being gone, based on the sentiment from many here, and based on the very limited number of minutes that he played last season.

I agree about running with only 13 on the roster. That will be the new trend in the NBA. Fill out last minute injury needs with ten day contracts.

But my larger point has some validity: if you keep shedding enough partial contracts, you end up paying for the equivalent of an entire player or more, and still have to round out the roster. So you could end up paying twice for all or part of an end of bench journeyman. Sometimes it might make more sense to hold onto a player, even if you could shed some more salary. That might be what happens with Kurt Thomas.

Yes the Bucks could negotiate a buyout with Kurt Thomas, but if they end up signing another player to fill some minutes because KT is no longer on the roster, then the Bucks do not save 100% of the money that was originally projected as "savings".

oLd sKool

How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour? Once we cut Bowen, cut Salim and sign Sessions, I see a 14-man roster with the names you mention. This of course takes into account that this trade actually happens and we then cut Weems.

1. Bogut
2. Elson
3. Gadzuric
4. Johnson
5. Thomas
6. Ersan
7. JA
8. LRMAM
9, Redd
10. Bell
11. Meeks
12. Ridnour
13 Jennings

14. Sessions

15 Allen (Traded?), Bowen (Cut), Salim (Cut) and/or Sonny Weems (received via trade and then cut) :)

Anyway I look at our roster, I see at the very least 14-players and 15 if this trade is bogus.
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,293

Post#106 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 am

apdamico wrote:
How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour?

Considering I listed Sessions but neglected to list Ridnour, obvious answer, isn't it? :)

I just forgot to list Ridnour, despite referring to him in that same post. It was an oversight, not intentional.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,093

Post#107 » by Siefer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:30 am

If anything, we'll always remember Malik Allen for his outstanding parting gift for the Bucks board. Hot damn, Erin Andrews. Hot damn.
apdamico
Senior

Post#108 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:32 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
apdamico wrote:
How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour?

Considering I listed Sessions but neglected to list Ridnour, obvious answer, isn't it? :)

I just forgot to list Ridnour, despite referring to him in that same post. It was an oversight, not intentional.

Actually I saw how you listed the two and you mentioned you'd like to see a 13-man roster and I just couldn't see how that could be accomplished unless we bought out Thomas.

Plus, I thought Hammond mentioned he'd like to sign another SF or PF and I thought that could only happen if we bought Thomas out. I just don't see Hammond going with a 13-man roster that's all, we just have too many players under contract already; it's certainly a valid point though under the current economic conditions.

GAD, while your online though, do we really need the savings this supposed trade will give us (Allen for Weems) and of course cutting both Salim & Bowen to match a Sessions MLE offer?
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#109 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't know anything about Sonny Weems, but I think this is awesome.

Any chance Weems is NG'd?

OMG! Is this true? Sonny Weems is da' bomb! He had a great Summer League and he can light it up!

He has some size and great range. Improves our depth if he can make the squad and we get some other guys moved out of here.

Weems and Meeks both can shoot! Perhaps the Bucks will move Redd after all...? For those of you who do not know Weems he can hoop!

Anybody for Malik Allen is cool with me...nice trade if it is true and the sources are correct. Now I will go out of my way to watch him in Las Vegas now...brb...
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#110 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 am

Joana wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't know anything about Sonny Weems, but I think this is awesome.

It's only partially guaranteed, but Weems would be worthy of keeping around for a while. He's making the minimum salary anyway.

Denver may want to move him out, now that they got Afflalo.

They got Afflao???????

Hell, I would have died for Afflao...now that was the cat to get from Detriot for Oberto! Aaron Afflao would have been the ticket right there.
apdamico
Senior

Post#111 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:59 am

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:

OMG! Is this true? Sonny Weems is da' bomb! He had a great Summer League and he can light it up!

He has some size and great range. Improves our depth if he can make the squad and we get some other guys moved out of here.

Weems and Meeks both can shoot! Perhaps the Bucks will move Redd after all...? For those of you who do not know Weems he can hoop!

Anybody for Malik Allen is cool with me...nice trade if it is true and the sources are correct. Now I will go out of my way to watch him in Las Vegas now...brb...

That's so funny because as soon as I saw Weems name, I immediately thought I should write a line stating that this trade comfirms that Redd's days are officially numbered. Figured you'd chime in sooner or later though :lol:

I wouldn't mind giving this kid a real chance at making the team, but everyone else seems hell bent on the fact the we need this extra savings from Weems contract to match any MLE offer Sessions might receive.

Personnally, I thought cutting both Bowen and Salim would get us the money needed to match any Sessions offer and I'd certainly rather see this kid be given a chance to make this team rather than Salim!

At the very least, this kid could give Hammond the ability to package Bell and Ridnour and cut Salim. :D
fightingfury
Junior
And1: 3

Post#112 » by fightingfury » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:55 am

Very happy if this trad is indeed true. Cuts salary for a young player we may or may not keep. All good.
Go Bucks!
apdamico
Senior

Post#113 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:46 am

This Sonny Weems Kid has game, hopefully this trade goes through because we can cut Salim and Bowens for cap relief. Weems deserves a chance to make this club:

Denver 77, Washington 70: NBA.com reports: Sonny Weems' 17 points and 11 rebounds led the Denver Nuggets to a 77-70 victory over the Washington Wizards in the night cap at the 2009 NBA Summer League at the Thomas and Mack Center on the campus of the University of Nevada - Las Vegas. Washington's Andray Blatche led all scorers with 27 points to go with a game-high 15 rebounds in the loss.

I wouldn't write this kid off as cap relieve just yet! 11 Rebounds from a 2 guard is pretty damn impressive. I'd certainly rather have him at the end of the bench rather than Allen or Salim! :D
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,585

Post#114 » by Garbs_7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:50 am

Haha MBBOT is there anyone in the league you don't like? Every free agent or trade rumour that comes up for ours or other teams you love the guy. Not a bad thing at all, just a very positive opinion on a lot of average players. (Sonny Weems, Chris Wilcox, Steve Francis all the way to... Reece Gaines :D )
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#115 » by The Rebel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 am

apdamico wrote:This Sonny Weems Kid has game, hopefully this trade goes through because we can cut Salim and Bowens for cap relief. Weems deserves a chance to make this club:

Denver 77, Washington 70: NBA.com reports: Sonny Weems' 17 points and 11 rebounds led the Denver Nuggets to a 77-70 victory over the Washington Wizards in the night cap at the 2009 NBA Summer League at the Thomas and Mack Center on the campus of the University of Nevada - Las Vegas. Washington's Andray Blatche led all scorers with 27 points to go with a game-high 15 rebounds in the loss.

I wouldn't write this kid off as cap relieve just yet! 11 Rebounds from a 2 guard is pretty damn impressive. I'd certainly rather have him at the end of the bench rather than Allen or Salim! :D

Weems has some talent, and plays well at times, however he is up and down. He played great in stretches last year in the D-league though. Unfortunately Denver needs a 5th big much worse then they need a 3rd SG, especially considering that both JR and Afflalo are young guys.
eathy
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#116 » by eathy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 am

tbh, there were only 2 bigs (both undersized btw) on that summer league team, so it really isn't surprising that a athletic dude like Weems got rebounds.

and this source isn't legit at all. the Denver Post dudes/Chris Tommason would report trades first before some site I've never heard about.
apdamico
Senior

Post#117 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 am

The Rebel wrote:
apdamico wrote:This Sonny Weems Kid has game, hopefully this trade goes through because we can cut Salim and Bowens for cap relief. Weems deserves a chance to make this club:

Weems has some talent, and plays well at times, however he is up and down. He played great in stretches last year in the D-league though. Unfortunately Denver needs a 5th big much worse then they need a 3rd SG, especially considering that both JR and Afflalo are young guys.

Yeah, he had 3 very impressive games for Denver, also scoring 24 and 28 points respectively, with close to double digit rebounds, but his shooting percentage actually isn't very good and he was mostly playing SF instead of SG for Denver. He's 6'6", but only 203 pounds, so more of a swing man that should find some minutes if he makes the team.

I guess I'd rather see him given a shot at making the team rather than Salim. At least this kid has some size and seems athletic. I think Denver expected him to jack to ball up though because even after his two very poor games, one he shot only 3-15 from the floor, he was still getting 30 minutes or more of playing time each game.

My point is that people based this entire thread on us obtaining Weems, only to dump his contract for cap relieve, when that may not actually be the case. Seems like another raw, young athletic talent to add to the roster, rather than to obtain - only to dump for cap relief!

Bell's play is up and down at times also and Weems is much younger and costs a lot less, so if he can play defense, he just may have a chance at sticking with the team!
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,293

Post#118 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am

apdamico wrote:GAD, while your online though, do we really need the savings this supposed trade will give us (Allen for Weems) and of course cutting both Salim & Bowen to match a Sessions MLE offer?

Without making other moves besides those, yes.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
apdamico
Senior

Post#119 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:25 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
apdamico wrote:GAD, while your online though, do we really need the savings this supposed trade will give us (Allen for Weems) and of course cutting both Salim & Bowen to match a Sessions MLE offer?

Without making other moves besides those, yes.

Thanks! :D
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#120 » by benultimate » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:38 am

It's a good sign for the value of expiring veteran bigs. Come the trade deadline if we still have Elson & Thomas they should be able to fetch something decent, possibly a late first rounder each?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks