ImageImageImageImageImage

Flip Saunders Appreciation Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,006

Re: Flip Saunders Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Thanks for posting that, NbdyBeatsTheWiz.

That is a very good read on Flip and the Wizards by Steve Aschburner! I'd never heard of the man. He provided a lot of detailed information.

After reading the article a thought popped in my mind: The Wizards can win a title in the next 4 years.

The GM, the head coach, at least one assistant (Cassell), the six guys returning that were starters but not part of the rotation last season, along with Butler and Jamison--all form what will very likely be the league's most improved team. I am very optimistic about the direction things are moving for the Wizards.

NBTW, I got from Steve Aschburner's article something I never would have considered if you hadn't posted the link. Flip is fully equipped and ready to be a great coach for Gilbert Arenas. (I knew Sam could help Gil, but hadn't thought about Flip's perspective).

"In all my years, I don't think I've been around anyone who's as much of a basketball junkie as he is," Saunders said of Agent Zero. "That guy wants to work on his game 24/7. He's got an unbelievable passion for the game. What happens, because of how much he loves to play, when he's been injured, he hasn't always wanted to go through the [rehab] process. He's wanted to skip it, jump right back and do too much. Now, because of missing this last year, he understands and has gone through the process to get stronger."

Arenas isn't a prototypical Saunders' point guard -- he ranked fourth, fourth and fifth in shots taken in his last three healthy seasons -- but the coach has adapted through the years. Without a Terrell Brandon on the roster, he has to accept the often-mercurial star. "[Arenas is] a combination of every one of them," Saunders said. "He's got great size, so he can do things in the post like Sam [Cassell] and Chauncey [Billups] can. He's got unbelievable range similar to Chauncey and Steph [Marbury] to a point. He's got great ability to get to the basket, which was Steph's forte.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... z0NoKtyPJX
Bye bye Beal.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,196

Post#22 » by cedric76 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:27 am

how do u see saunder using blatche?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,006

Post#23 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm

cedric76 wrote:how do u see saunder using blatche?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03446.html

"We've got a new coaching staff, we changed a lot, so it's time for me to change my whole style, my whole mentality," Blatche said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm wearing 7, and that means seven days [a week] of hard work, seven days of being focused. I'm all about business, and I've got a big opportunity I'm gonna take advantage of."

"I think it shows a little bit that he has a newfound commitment as far as what he's trying to accomplish," Saunders said. "He's had a very, very good spring and summer. . . . I told him, the one thing that's preventing him from being a great player is just making sure he gets in phenomenal shape."

Blatche said he has worked with Saunders on his post-up defense, on blocking shots and on scoring in the paint, in addition to attempting to improve his conditioning. The forward set career highs in just about every statistical category a year ago, and while he said he had a good relationship with interim coach Ed Tapscott, Blatche also said he expects the biggest opportunity of his career to arrive this fall. Saunders said maturity and commitment could help Blatche reverse his frustrating habit of dominating one game and disappearing in the next, though it will take more than a few summer league double-doubles to prove that point.

cedric, I expect Blatche will be the first big off the bench at both PF and C. I could see him possibly starting at PF at some point under Flip because Andray's first impression has been a good one as far as Saunders is concerned.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#24 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

So let's see, EJ wanted to turn Blatche into a "LeBron stopper".

:nonono:

But Flip is actually teaching him how to be a big man. I love our new coach!

:clap:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,534

Post#25 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Flip Saunders, Wizards. Chance at succeeding: Excellent. Saunders is a gifted offensive coach who is well-known for his extensive, creative playbook. That will fit well with the high-scoring Wizards, assuming they are healthy (Gilbert Arenas especially) and productive. Saunders has a wide array of weapons at his disposal and should be able to push the team’s offense near the top of the league. But one thing Saunders does especially well—and he doesn’t get much credit for it—is formulate defensive schemes that can hide his team’s weaknesses. He has long been on the forefront of employing zones in the NBA, and should be able to come up with something that bolsters what has been a shoddy Wizards defense.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Ba ... view/29564
:clap:
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,196

Post#26 » by cedric76 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
cedric76 wrote:how do u see saunder using blatche?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03446.html

"We've got a new coaching staff, we changed a lot, so it's time for me to change my whole style, my whole mentality," Blatche said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm wearing 7, and that means seven days [a week] of hard work, seven days of being focused. I'm all about business, and I've got a big opportunity I'm gonna take advantage of."

"I think it shows a little bit that he has a newfound commitment as far as what he's trying to accomplish," Saunders said. "He's had a very, very good spring and summer. . . . I told him, the one thing that's preventing him from being a great player is just making sure he gets in phenomenal shape."

Blatche said he has worked with Saunders on his post-up defense, on blocking shots and on scoring in the paint, in addition to attempting to improve his conditioning. The forward set career highs in just about every statistical category a year ago, and while he said he had a good relationship with interim coach Ed Tapscott, Blatche also said he expects the biggest opportunity of his career to arrive this fall. Saunders said maturity and commitment could help Blatche reverse his frustrating habit of dominating one game and disappearing in the next, though it will take more than a few summer league double-doubles to prove that point.

cedric, I expect Blatche will be the first big off the bench at both PF and C. I could see him possibly starting at PF at some point under Flip because Andray's first impression has been a good one as far as Saunders is concerned.

thx mate ,really appreciate
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
closg00
RealGM

Post#27 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:00 pm

WW.Com: In several interviews you've talked about your relationship with the new staff. What is it about Flip Saunders that has made this transition so easy?
AB: He has helped me a lot. He has really helped me build up my confidence and I play much better when I’m confident. He just always gives me positive feedback and it boosts me and makes me work harder.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/blatche_090817.html

:clap: EJ-free :nod:
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#28 » by Master Shake » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 pm

Just wait till the playoffs and the opposing team makes their first adjustments. Flip's head is going to explode and his body will be doing that twitch still.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,872

Post#29 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Master Shake wrote:Just wait till the playoffs and the opposing team makes their first adjustments. Flip's head is going to explode and his body will be doing that twitch still.

I tend to think differently.

I think Flip will make the necessary adjustments using his very deep roster.

At least I hope so....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#30 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Master Shake wrote:Just wait till the playoffs and the opposing team makes their first adjustments. Flip's head is going to explode and his body will be doing that twitch still.

At least I hope so....

I think that's the difference. Detroit fans keep saying that Flip couldn't adjust in the playoffs. But I'm not sure what adjustments he could have made. He basically had a 6-man team that didn't have a whole lot of versatility as to style of play. He couldn't tell Ben to do anything different because he had limited skills. And he could have told Sheed to do any number of things, but who knows if he would have actually done them?

The Wizards have far more options. He can go big or he can go small. He can go with vet experience or he can go with young energy. He can play fast or he can play in the halfcourt. He can go pure offense, or he can sprinkle in the defenders we have. Those are choices he simply didn't always have in Detroit IMO.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,872

Post#31 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

At least I hope so....

I think that's the difference. Detroit fans keep saying that Flip couldn't adjust in the playoffs. But I'm not sure what adjustments he could have made. He basically had a 6-man team that didn't have a whole lot of versatility as to style of play. He couldn't tell Ben to do anything different because he had limited skills. And he could have told Sheed to do any number of things, but who knows if he would have actually done them?

The Wizards have far more options. He can go big or he can go small. He can go with vet experience or he can go with young energy. He can play fast or he can play in the halfcourt. He can go pure offense, or he can sprinkle in the defenders we have. Those are choices he simply didn't always have in Detroit IMO.

I made the same point and Piston fans called me insane for even insinuating that Wiz might be deeper than the Flip-led Pistons.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#32 » by verbal8 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I think what you see with Flip Saunders is a team beating the teams it should. His Pistons' teams generally closed out pretty quickly on their way to the ECF when he was coach.

It may be that he is not as good as Larry Brown at beating the very top teams. I also would argue that Larry Brown had an easier path the NBA finals. The Indiana team(Jermaine O'Neal & Ron Artest) they beat was not overly impressive.

The Wizards players are not at an elite level right now, so I think Flip Saunders is a good match for the level of the team.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,378

Post#33 » by doclinkin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:38 am

Flip has cited his excitement in working with Gil comparing him to other PG's he's mentored in the past. Following a debate with a Pistons fan about Gilbert's ability to run the team I was reminded of Flip's success in utilizing skilled attacking PG's. (See a hawks fan blog here on the topic). I'd been plodding back through the dbase, and it's pretty stark and interesting to see that most of the Point Guards that Flip has worked with have posted career-best numbers in AST/36 min under his oversight.

Marbury saw his career best years in ast/36 playing in Flip's system, then pretty steadily trailed off. Terrell Brandon's three best tallies in this ratio were with Flip. Ditto Bobby Jackson's two best years. Troy Hudson's best year was under Flip as well. Sammy Cassell found a renaissance at 34 years of age when his ast/36 rate suddenly jumped from 6 to 7.5, he also had one of his most efficient shooting years. A late-career Terry Porter stepped up from 6.2 assist to 7.9 ast/36.

Now it could be said that most of those players worked with KG to boost their assist rate (Porter played with Googs, L8ner as primary options plus a young 14ppg KG) and Sammy Cassell's best years in this measure were with the Bucks and Houston. What's interesting then is to peek at a guy like Chauncey:

Billups 4 best years in this yardstick were under Flip: 3 in Detroit, one in Minny.
DET 05-06 ... 8.6 dimes per 36 minutes
DET 07-08 ... 7.6
DET 06-07 ... 7.1
MIN 01-02 ... 6.9

Chauncey's 01-02 is interesting: The following year in DET he posted a 4.4 under Carlisle, subsequently climbing as high as a 5.8 under Larry for a couple years. But when he was re-united with Flip that dime rate jumped to that career best 8.6 number in 05-06. Chauncey gets knocked as not playing a 'pure' point guard role, but under Flip he looked the part.

Similarly would-be cognoscenti rip Gil as a 'shoot-first' point guard. Maybe. Eddie Jordan would contend that his system never required a true PG, and the squad has always had a league trailing assist number since players were more often set up to attack a msimatch than they were led to their points by a true set-up man.

But seems to me that former-PG Flip has done pretty well with scoring PG's preserving their offensive skills while adding on a team aspect. I suspect Gilbert will turn a few heads with his bump in the category. He's been told for year's that he's no PG etc, has something to prove. Now he's the primary set-up man with an ability to call his own number as needed, but surrounded by proficient shooters, in an offense designed to create open shots for players with a bit of range and skill. Quite possible he posts a snowman this year just to turn heads and quiet critics: 8 assists per game. Just because they said he can't. But either way I have no doubt he'll show a new career best in the number. It's what Flip's offense is designed to do.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,357

Post#34 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 am

LyricalRico wrote:

Well the Pistons DID beat Miami the previous year with Larry Brown at the helm. Obviously there were different things that the Pistons could have done to beat the Heat.

Against Cleveland, I was particularily disturbed how LeBron singlehandedly dismantled the Pistons defense in game 5 when he scored the final 25 of the 29 points. The Pistons also choked down the stretch in 4th quarter, since they had a 7 point lead with 3 minutes to go in the 4th and only scored 3 points for the rest of the quarter. Ultimately the Pistons choked. If Flip does that with the Wizards expect a 20 pages to be added to an Amazingly Sucky Flip Saunders Thread.

Against the Celtics, I don't think there was much he could have done IMO. The Celtics were the superior team. But the damage had been done the past two seasons when the Pistons entered each of the series with homecourt advantage.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#35 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:50 am

verbal8 wrote:I think what you see with Flip Saunders is a team beating the teams it should. His Pistons' teams generally closed out pretty quickly on their way to the ECF when he was coach.

It may be that he is not as good as Larry Brown at beating the very top teams. I also would argue that Larry Brown had an easier path the NBA finals. The Indiana team(Jermaine O'Neal & Ron Artest) they beat was not overly impressive.

The Wizards players are not at an elite level right now, so I think Flip Saunders is a good match for the level of the team.

- That Pacers team also had Reggie Miller and Al Harrington and managed to finish with 62 wins in the regular season. People forget that the Pacers were leading the Eastern Conference and en route to blowing out the Pistons before the Ron Artest Brawl.

If that wasn't impressive impressive enough for you they beat the New Jersey Nets, who had made it to the NBA finals the past 2 season. And let's not forget they beat a Shaq/Kobe Lakers team.

- The Pistons managed to make it to the NBA finals the following year as well . They went through Iverson's 76ers (who had a great playoff series but no one else beside Iggy showed up to play). They also beat the Shaq/Wade team that ultimately beat Flip's Piston's in 05-06 and took the Spurs to 7 games.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#36 » by fishercob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:19 pm

doclinkin wrote:Flip has cited his excitement in working with Gil comparing him to other PG's he's mentored in the past. Following a debate with a Pistons fan about Gilbert's ability to run the team I was reminded of Flip's success in utilizing skilled attacking PG's. (See a hawks fan blog here on the topic). I'd been plodding back through the dbase, and it's pretty stark and interesting to see that most of the Point Guards that Flip has worked with have posted career-best numbers in AST/36 min under his oversight.

Marbury saw his career best years in ast/36 playing in Flip's system, then pretty steadily trailed off. Terrell Brandon's three best tallies in this ratio were with Flip. Ditto Bobby Jackson's two best years. Troy Hudson's best year was under Flip as well. Sammy Cassell found a renaissance at 34 years of age when his ast/36 rate suddenly jumped from 6 to 7.5, he also had one of his most efficient shooting years. A late-career Terry Porter stepped up from 6.2 assist to 7.9 ast/36.

Now it could be said that most of those players worked with KG to boost their assist rate (Porter played with Googs, L8ner as primary options plus a young 14ppg KG) and Sammy Cassell's best years in this measure were with the Bucks and Houston. What's interesting then is to peek at a guy like Chauncey:

Billups 4 best years in this yardstick were under Flip: 3 in Detroit, one in Minny.
DET 05-06 ... 8.6 dimes per 36 minutes
DET 07-08 ... 7.6
DET 06-07 ... 7.1
MIN 01-02 ... 6.9

Chauncey's 01-02 is interesting: The following year in DET he posted a 4.4 under Carlisle, subsequently climbing as high as a 5.8 under Larry for a couple years. But when he was re-united with Flip that dime rate jumped to that career best 8.6 number in 05-06. Chauncey gets knocked as not playing a 'pure' point guard role, but under Flip he looked the part.

Similarly would-be cognoscenti rip Gil as a 'shoot-first' point guard. Maybe. Eddie Jordan would contend that his system never required a true PG, and the squad has always had a league trailing assist number since players were more often set up to attack a msimatch than they were led to their points by a true set-up man.

But seems to me that former-PG Flip has done pretty well with scoring PG's preserving their offensive skills while adding on a team aspect. I suspect Gilbert will turn a few heads with his bump in the category. He's been told for year's that he's no PG etc, has something to prove. Now he's the primary set-up man with an ability to call his own number as needed, but surrounded by proficient shooters, in an offense designed to create open shots for players with a bit of range and skill. Quite possible he posts a snowman this year just to turn heads and quiet critics: 8 assists per game. Just because they said he can't. But either way I have no doubt he'll show a new career best in the number. It's what Flip's offense is designed to do.

Nice read, doc. I haven't thought about Brandon in a while. Dude could really play when he was healthy.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#37 » by go'stags » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Doc, what do you think that means for Foye? I pretty much expect Gil to have a great year.

I was actually thinking the other day that Foye has a few similiarities to Billups. A high draft pick who didnt live up to expectations in his first few years. Their games are actually have some similarities as well. Both are good 3 point shooters who have shown to be clutch. Both came into the league as more of a scoring type guard, and can attack the lane when need be, but are not explosive finishers. Foye is very well built, just like Chauncey.

Itt took Chauncey a few years to figure it out, to adjust his game somewhat, to learn the veteran tricks and to better learn to run an offense.

Obviously Flip has a great track record for PGs, but I think Sam "phone home" Cassell can teach him a few things. Definitley the veteran tricks to help get by, but also can help him develop a mid-range game and maybe even help him post up some when he is covered by smaller PGs. Couple that with Flip helping him to run a team, and being surronded by veteran winners, unlike in Minny, and I think Foye can definitley be better here in Washington. Maybe thats what Ernie was counting on when he made the trade for Foye, and maybe Flip was thinking this when he saw Foye playing last year.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,378

Post#38 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:04 am

go'stags wrote:Doc, what do you think that means for Foye? I pretty much expect Gil to have a great year.

I was actually thinking the other day that Foye has a few similiarities to Billups. A high draft pick who didnt live up to expectations in his first few years. Their games are actually have some similarities as well. Both are good 3 point shooters who have shown to be clutch. Both came into the league as more of a scoring type guard, and can attack the lane when need be, but are not explosive finishers. Foye is very well built, just like Chauncey.

Itt took Chauncey a few years to figure it out, to adjust his game somewhat, to learn the veteran tricks and to better learn to run an offense.

Obviously Flip has a great track record for PGs, but I think Sam "phone home" Cassell can teach him a few things. Definitley the veteran tricks to help get by, but also can help him develop a mid-range game and maybe even help him post up some when he is covered by smaller PGs. Couple that with Flip helping him to run a team, and being surronded by veteran winners, unlike in Minny, and I think Foye can definitley be better here in Washington. Maybe thats what Ernie was counting on when he made the trade for Foye, and maybe Flip was thinking this when he saw Foye playing last year.

Actually Foye is in an interesting position here, he has a chance to carve a few different roles for himself and prove how versatile and useful he can be.

Coming out the gate you have to expect that a healthy Gilbert will carry most of the ball-handling duties. Gil's fast, deadly with the ball in his hand, has shown passing skill and inclination in his return to the game, and if he's regained his quix as well as his range then he's a deadly threat to shoot or drive. Foye is nice, but a step down in speed and unpredictability, handle, etc. Which means Foye's opportunities to play as a Billupsian guard will be limited except in relief of Gilbert or as an option-two ball-handler if the opponent overloads on defending Gil.

But Foye's game is excellent for Flip's off-ball guard role, the Rip Hamilton role (as seen last exemplified by NIck in Summer ball). He's sturdy, quick, has good range and can hit a jumper on a catch & shoot. And strong, with a low center of gravity, he won't go sprawling when you run him on a curl pattern and a frontcourt defender chips him a bit with a subtle hip check. He's not quite as slippery-slim as either Rip or Nick but has all the range you want and a decent quick-release shot. He's not a guy who absolutely needs to dribble the ball in order to get his shot off.

The potential depth at 2-guard means Flip can substitute freely when a player is gassing. Means he also can ask for full effort and activity at both ends from the position. Which ever player is selling out playing smart and quick that player may get the nod.

Foye's floor general game is a decent starting point for Flip as well. Fan scuttlebutt in Minny of Foye's PG skills went: Foye can either set up his teammates or he can go get his own, but he can't do both. He doesn't exhibit the 360 degree vision that the best PG's have, he's either watching or participating. Shooting & driving in close --or-- looking to set someone up.

Sammy Cassell teaching him a few midrange skills or back-down moves will do nothing but help his on-ball game so he doesn't need to be quite so all-or-nothing attacking the paint (with nowhere to go) or gunning from outside.

Seems he'd be a fine fit in that second option PG role if Gilbert takes a turn running laps when they're out there together (just to keep the opposing generals guessing). And in relief of Gil i(a few minutes per game) t doesn't matter if he's waiting on the play to develop while Nick runs a baseline strafing run, since he's a threat to shoot if you sag off him or turn your head trying to handle Nick when the bench gunner is out there. All he'll need are a few successful designed plays and a couple options off of them.

Foye next to Miller is not quite as good of a set piece though, way I see it. Unless Miller is at SF and Gil is running point. Then Miller can set the pin-screen in the paint that will free him to catch a pass, or screen then fade to the wing as a touch-pass three-ball target if the opponent recovers well and cuts off his shot.

I expect Foye's Billup-skillz will definitely improve over the next few years, if he sticks with the team for the foreseeable future. He's very much a hybrid of Flip's guard roles (Billups or Rip being the starkest exemplars of the difference) and is smart and hard-working enough that you could develop him in either direction. Or both. Given time.

Having played in a 3-4 guard offense in Villanova, seems to me he's been adaptable and not especially greedy for the ball. When Kyle Lowry was bashing his way to the basket like a cannonball on a spiral staircase Foye was content to stick outside in a catch-and-shoot role ready to stick the deep three. That patience and lack of ego will definitely work to his benefit on a team with a half-dozen other competent scorers.

Should be gratifying to watch him develop. Question being if he finds enough of a role this year and has enough fun with the squad that he's able to perceive a future here and will stick with the team. I expect working with Sammy and Flip, he'll want to stay if the money's right. And if we're winning.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#39 » by Kanyewest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 am

doclinkin wrote:Coming out the gate you have to expect that a healthy Gilbert will carry most of the ball-handling duties. Gil's fast, deadly with the ball in his hand, has shown passing skill and inclination in his return to the game, and if he's regained his quix as well as his range then he's a deadly threat to shoot or drive. Foye is nice, but a step down in speed and unpredictability, handle, etc. Which means Foye's opportunities to play as a Billupsian guard will be limited except in relief of Gilbert or as an option-two ball-handler if the opponent overloads on defending Gil.

But Foye's game is excellent for Flip's off-ball guard role, the Rip Hamilton role (as seen last exemplified by NIck in Summer ball). He's sturdy, quick, has good range and can hit a jumper on a catch & shoot. And strong, with a low center of gravity, he won't go sprawling when you run him on a curl pattern and a frontcourt defender chips him a bit with a subtle hip check. He's not quite as slippery-slim as either Rip or Nick but has all the range you want and a decent quick-release shot. He's not a guy who absolutely needs to dribble the ball in order to get his shot off.

The potential depth at 2-guard means Flip can substitute freely when a player is gassing. Means he also can ask for full effort and activity at both ends from the position. Which ever player is selling out playing smart and quick that player may get the nod.

Foye's floor general game is a decent starting point for Flip as well. Fan scuttlebutt in Minny of Foye's PG skills went: Foye can either set up his teammates or he can go get his own, but he can't do both. He doesn't exhibit the 360 degree vision that the best PG's have, he's either watching or participating. Shooting & driving in close --or-- looking to set someone up.

Sammy Cassell teaching him a few midrange skills or back-down moves will do nothing but help his on-ball game so he doesn't need to be quite so all-or-nothing attacking the paint (with nowhere to go) or gunning from outside.

Seems he'd be a fine fit in that second option PG role if Gilbert takes a turn running laps when they're out there together (just to keep the opposing generals guessing). And in relief of Gil i(a few minutes per game) t doesn't matter if he's waiting on the play to develop while Nick runs a baseline strafing run, since he's a threat to shoot if you sag off him or turn your head trying to handle Nick when the bench gunner is out there. All he'll need are a few successful designed plays and a couple options off of them.

Foye next to Miller is not quite as good of a set piece though, way I see it. Unless Miller is at SF and Gil is running point. Then Miller can set the pin-screen in the paint that will free him to catch a pass, or screen then fade to the wing as a touch-pass three-ball target if the opponent recovers well and cuts off his shot.

I expect Foye's Billup-skillz will definitely improve over the next few years, if he sticks with the team for the foreseeable future. He's very much a hybrid of Flip's guard roles (Billups or Rip being the starkest exemplars of the difference) and is smart and hard-working enough that you could develop him in either direction. Or both. Given time.

Having played in a 3-4 guard offense in Villanova, seems to me he's been adaptable and not especially greedy for the ball. When Kyle Lowry was bashing his way to the basket like a cannonball on a spiral staircase Foye was content to stick outside in a catch-and-shoot role ready to stick the deep three. That patience and lack of ego will definitely work to his benefit on a team with a half-dozen other competent scorers.

Should be gratifying to watch him develop. Question being if he finds enough of a role this year and has enough fun with the squad that he's able to perceive a future here and will stick with the team. I expect working with Sammy and Flip, he'll want to stay if the money's right. And if we're winning.

I wouldn't want Gilbert to be too unpredictable, ie his teammates don't know what he's doing. It's important for the Wizards to have good ball movement; players that get involved offensively usually put more efforts at doing the little things (defense and rebounding). Maybe, the Wizards let Foye run the offense a bit more so Gilbert can conserve his energy on the defensive end.

Randy Foye has great handles and is very shifty. While Gilbert (when healthy) is lightning quick, Foye has deceptive quickness like Chauncey Billups and is able to get to the rim. Getting free throw attempts has been a problem for him but he can get to the rim, which will draw defense in and create open looks for his teammates.

Foye is like a young Billups, the one that Flip Saunders inherited when he was in Minnesota. I believe Billups started several games alongside Terrell Brandon and eventually started at the point guard position after Terrell Brandon went down with an injury the following season. The good news for Foye is that Saunders has played smaller shooting guards in Minnesota; (Billups and Peeler) so he certainly has a shot at the starting spot.

Yes Foye was a capable catch and shoot player in college. But more importantly he was a great all around player. He certainly was willing passer; Nova's offense required Nova's guards to move the ball to find the open 3 point shooter. He also howed the ability to get to the line and drive and kick.

All of Foye's strengths haven't translated into the NBA. He hasn't gotten to the free throw line at the same rate and his mid range game has dropped off a bit. These are certainly things that Sam Cassell could help with his game during the offseason. Foye can still get to the basket; his finishing there and drawing fouls needs works, defenses that help to contain his penetration still. Hopefully, Flip can mold Foye a bit to expand his court vision.
closg00
RealGM

Post#40 » by closg00 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:14 am

And Saunders knows -- well, says he knows -- that he will have the last word when it comes to any head-butting that might take place with the All-Star point guard, a player Saunders believes is going to be as good as he was before having a series of operations on his left knee.

"He expresses opinions. We're not going to agree a lot. That's part of the process as you go through. But when it comes down to it, you have to understand one thing. When I say we're going to play a certain way, that's the way we're going to play," Saunders said with a laugh Tuesday, "whether you like it or not. He's starting to understand those things."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4495500

:clap: Flip is sooo on-point, the anti-EJ. A good read from ESPN.

Return to Washington Wizards