ImageImageImageImageImage

Gil vs. Javaris (Gun Incident)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,695

Re: gil vs javaris 

Post#61 » by HEATVols865 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:38 pm

Flip will have to be more specific when he tells Arenas to just shoot!
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,072

Post#62 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:40 pm

Scorpion King wrote:got this from GB

coldfish wrote:If I was Wizards management, I would be looking to see if this violates the standard NBA contract conduct terms. This may be an out for his huge contract.

What do you guys think about it ? If he violates that contract. Wiz release without paying him this will save a lot $$$

Would you guys do this if he did violate his contract ? i.e. terminate his contract and players union cant fight it because he breached his contract.

I'm thinking "Merry Christmas, baby" for Ernie Grunfeld.

The union and Gil's lawyer's will intervene, but if this goes down as some sort of handgun crime with gambling associated, I am not a lawyer, but I bet David Stern and Billy Hunter might get together on this one and let Gil's ass swing in the wind.

You don't deserve to make what Gil makes if this all went down the way it's being reported.
Bye bye Beal.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Zerocious » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:41 pm

BlazersRizing wrote:if you guys can get out of Arenas contract, that'd be the best news possible for the future of the team.

and apparently its the Washington BULLETS not Wizards. :lol:

more like washington backfire.....

or duds

or idiots: how you gonna shoot someone with non-loaded guns.....
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#64 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:42 pm

Zerocious wrote:
more like washington backfire.....

or duds

or idiots: how you gonna shoot someone with non-loaded guns.....

Gil was merely expessing his desire to change the team's name back to the Bullets?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:44 pm

Wizzies just released a statement about our new hot topic:

"The Washington Wizards take this situation and the ongoing investigation very seriously. We are continuing to cooperate fully with the proper authorities and the NBA and will have no further comment at this time."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizard ... ement.html

RealGM

Post#66 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:46 pm

Benjammin wrote:
Scorpion King wrote:got this from GB

coldfish wrote:If I was Wizards management, I would be looking to see if this violates the standard NBA contract conduct terms. This may be an out for his huge contract.

What do you guys think about it ? If he violates that contract. Wiz release without paying him this will save a lot $$$

Would you guys do this if he did violate his contract ? i.e. terminate his contract and players union cant fight it because he breached his contract.

This was one of my first thoughts as well. I would imagine that the player's association and Gil would fight tooth and nail against that. If this is true, both guys should be suspended for the rest of the season and the Wizards should try and terminate Gil's contract. If this report is accurate, I find it very difficult to defend either of their actions. It made me sad when I first heard this morning when I was called in to work and I still hope it is not true.

Ben, what happened to Plaxico Burress made me sad. He shot himself. He got a mandatory conviction. He's in jail. The Giants fell apart immediately after he went out. His footbal days might be over.

HOWEVER FOR GILBERT, this is UNPROFESSIONAL and just plain stupid. Suspension or contract termination would help the Wizards and it would be a consequence that will send a shock wave around the league.

Charles Oakley used to slap guys around and I always thought the fear of death motivated guys to pay him. Yet, he was smart enough not to do what Gil did.

Gil could have fooled around and got killed or he killed Crittenton. Better no contracts got voided that way.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:49 pm

coldfish wrote:
dlts20 wrote:this isnt the NFL. You cant do that in the NBA. Even if there was some way they didnt have to pay Gil all the money, it still would count 100% on our cap. Why would they let the team of the hook? They will say thats what we get for signing him. No way that lets you off the hook.

On a side note, I never believed that EG tried to trade Gil because he loved Gil and its still early but if this story is true then that could be the reason why EG just had enough

NBA contracts are generally guaranteed. That being said, if a players commits particularly egregious acts while under contract, the team can void the contract. That's what I meant by player conduct clause. At which point, the contract amount would not count towards the Wizards' cap. Here is an old article on Sprewell:

In response to the incident, the Warriors suspended Sprewell for ten games, reserving the right to extend that suspension or to terminate Sprewell's contract. After further review, the contract was terminated pursuant to Paragraphs 16(a)(i) and (iii) of the Player Contract. Paragraph (i) includes a "personal conduct" or "morality" clause and Paragraph (iii) permits termination where the player materially breaches the contract. The Warriors' Team Rules also contain a "personal conduct" clause and a violence provision and state that an intentional violation of significant team rules will be considered a material breach of the Player Contract, possibly resulting in termination. The Warriors asserted that Sprewell intentionally violated these significant Team Rules regarding violence, and therefore, materially breached his contract.2

http://law.marquette.edu/cgi-bin/site.p ... pageID=205

So, the question is: Is pulling a gun on a teammate equivalent to choking a coach? I also believe that there are specific firearms clauses in NBA contracts. I couldn't find a link though. Depending on the wording and the evidence available, this may be an open and shut case if Washington wants to "pull the trigger" so to speak.

Far as I'm concerned Ernie's off the hot seat. The money Gil made injured can be recovered if they terminate his deal.

Gilbert is a talented player but there are many others out there who don't do stupid stuff like that.

I would think terminating the deal and suspending him 1 year--or just the remainder of this season, and letting him come back a FA would be fair. Washington might not, but I think so.
Bye bye Beal.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:52 pm

Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment. "It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," said Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/n ... z0bO7sTDQQ

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,723

Post#69 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:52 pm

This is so ridiculous. How the hell does this happen? Gil has just effed up way too many times this season.

Doesn't matter anyway though, knowing Arenas he probably would have shot 3 or 4 times, missed each one, and then bobbled the gun out of the locker room door.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#70 » by cavsfan_osiris » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:52 pm

There are two sources, NY Post and Y! Spots. Those are not other sources. This doesn't look good for Gilbert though. If this is true he was one of my favorite players. Gil and Critt should be granted leave until this is sorted out.
much respect to the 2011-2012 champions, Miami Heat, well deserved
hptmatthew
Senior
And1: 3

Post#71 » by hptmatthew » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:54 pm

fishercob wrote:Gil never had anything to fear. Javaris can't shoot.

oh, so, so wrong.

But oh, so, so funny.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: Gil vs. Javaris (Gun Incident) 

Post#72 » by keynote » Fri Jan 1, 2010 6:58 pm

Quietly, I'm kinda glad that Abe Pollin didn't live to see this day come.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
RealGM

Post#73 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:00 pm

keynote wrote:Quietly, I'm kinda glad that Abe Pollin didn't live to see this day come.

+1

But then again, I kinda wish Abe had been alive and well when this crap went down.

Gil would have been sent off worse than MJ (assuming this is true).
Bye bye Beal.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:01 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
keynote wrote:Quietly, I'm kinda glad that Abe Pollin didn't live to see this day come.

+1

But then again, I kinda wish Abe had been alive and well when this crap went down.

Gil would have been sent off worse than MJ (assuming this is true).

+1 agree with both keynote and CCJ

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,556

Post#75 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:02 pm

Holy crap! I leave the internet for 20 hours and all hell breaks loose!

I'm reserving judgment until more facts are in. It just doesn't sound like Gil. And if it's true, I feel sorry for him. Obviously, the pressure finally got to him.
Pollinator
Pro Prospect

Post#76 » by Pollinator » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The union and Gil's lawyer's will intervene, but if this goes down as some sort of handgun crime with gambling associated, I am not a lawyer, but I bet David Stern and Billy Hunter might get together on this one and let Gil's ass swing in the wind.

Relevant quote from the NYpost article:

Peter Vecsey wrote:A top players-union official said he was shocked by the allegations. "This is unprecedented in the history of sports," said Player's Association Executive Director Billy Hunter. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

Doesn't sound like the union is necessarily gonna have Gil's back on this one.
gowiz999
Veteran

Post#77 » by gowiz999 » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:06 pm

Gil's latest tweet:

i wake up this morning and seen i was the new JOHN WAYNE..lmao media is too funny

he thinks this is a joke :x
JazKeyz
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#78 » by JazKeyz » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:10 pm

Nets fan here. what situation between him and shaq and his fiance? dont tell me shaw got his girl, cause that is some seriously hurtful ****. No wonder he's not as happy seeming and on top of a struggling team and recovery after so many surgeries. yea what happened now with him and shaq?
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#79 » by keynote » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:10 pm

^
I thought he wasn't going to start tweeting until he had a million followers.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
RealGM

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 1, 2010 7:11 pm

Gil's going to get due process. All this is just alleged.

I imagine the actual seizure of the weapon(s), by whom and under what circumstances, will go a long ways toward determining credibity and what actually happened.

Gil's said the guns were turned over because he didn't want them around the house with the newborn. That sounds very dubious to me.

Second hand witness saying Gil was just f'ing with him, and the quote from Javaris of "I'm not your punk" sounds very plausible. The only thing that didn't add up in my world is that someone didn't actually get shot. You just don't put guns in folks faces, even as a joke. (Jayson Williams and possibly Phil Specter as examples). Having a gun pointed at the wrong person, even an unloaded one could cause someone to at the very least get beat down and perhaps get faded from this planet.

nate's right in reserving judgement, but seems to me this happened based on what's out there so far.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards