ImageImageImageImage

Ledger: Lewis Has Lifted Magic From Mediocrity

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#13 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

All the main arguments of why we're better (Dwights improvement, Hedo's consistency, the coaching upgrade, Reshard's signing) are speculative at best.

Sitting here bashing the article writer for saying we're better because of Reshard and then going on and saying "its obviously because of SVG" surely makes you look like a dunce -- you're doing the same thing except swap Reshard for SVG.

Personally, I think adding SVG and Reshard have been the foremost reasons for our improvement. Hedo's consistency is probably related to the fact that both Howard improved and Reshard is there thus he receives much less pressure than he'd otherwise have received.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#14 » by SS_MagicMark » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Once we got rid of that clown Diener, everything took off.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#15 » by magicman123 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm

there is no question,that we are better with rashard lewis then last year....can it be a combination of svg, dwight improving, and turk being consistant, no doubt...lewis makes us better you cant argue that...you cant strictly point it to one thing because we did have several changes this season...new coach, darko and grant gone, lewis signed, mvp diener left, and the ariza trade..but with lewis we are better..
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#16 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:06 am

Man....you guys just hatin' on Lewis because he got paid.

That's no way to act. He helps the team. He is a distraction that makes it easier for other guys to score -- oh, and by the way, he scores pretty well himself.

All those other things you cite are reasons, too, but there's no way around it, Rashard is a key factor. Not to mention the fact that -- as Van Gundy himself points out -- he is sacrificing his own game for the sake of the team because he is playing out of position and in doing so gives up many of the advantages he has when he plays his regular position. The coach you all love and respect so much said that on Tuesday night on his radio show.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

If Lewis had not been signed, player Hill and Milicic probably would have. With those two at the SF and PF slots, Turkoglu would be buried on the bench.

Without Lewis, Turkoglu would not be getting playing time.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#18 » by NEM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm

lewis and van gundy
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,554

Post#19 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:Stan V Gundy has lifted Magic from mediocrity, not Lewis.

Lewis contributed, like D12, Hedo etc.

damit u took my idea of a sig..i had it it in my mind for awhile and when i saw that game winner i thought that was the perfect thing to do it on..i was gonna have hedo at 1st tho with him dribbiling..he does with him shooting and that funky dance for he did :lol:
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#20 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 pm

SVG new system and Lewis are the difference. Now we just need to get a legit starting PF and PG. Once that happens, the Magic will truly become contenders.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#21 » by damo[23] » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Its clear to pretty much everyone that SVG has done the hard work, which is rebuilding a system that was flawed into a new effective winning system.
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#22 » by Typhoon20 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

damit u took my idea of a sig..i had it it in my mind for awhile and when i saw that game winner i thought that was the perfect thing to do it on..i was gonna have hedo at 1st tho with him dribbiling..he does with him shooting and that funky dance for he did :lol:

Dude, to be fair, it's not my idea. Fendi (from the official magic board) made it. I'm just using it. Credit goes to him, the sig truly rocks.

You should just use it too, he's also got another great one.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#23 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:50 pm

You know I think that guy averaging 22/15/2.5 might have had a little something to do with it to.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#24 » by richboy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:08 am

Some might suggest the Magic are still mediocre. There are 8-10 WC teams better and perhaps another 2-4 EC teams that are better. I guess in comparison to last year the article should be Rashard raises the Magic to mediocrity.

The problem with these articles is there not very accurate. Rashard Lewis helps the Magic. They would not be better or as good without him. The problem is I don't see anything talking about Rashard vs the alternatives. Nocioni, Gwallace, VC, etc. Its like suggesting that paying Rashard 20 per was the only way to have success.

I also disagree that a coach isn't worth a player. IMO the only player I will take a great coach over is the franchise guy. I could live with Darko and Grant Hill back and no Rashard. Brian HIll back with Rashard and this team be struggling to stay 500.
parso15
Junior

Post#25 » by parso15 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:41 pm

drsd wrote:If Lewis had not been signed, player Hill and Milicic probably would have. With those two at the SF and PF slots, Turkoglu would be buried on the bench.

Without Lewis, Turkoglu would not be getting playing time.

You have to be kidding :crazy:

Grant (Hill) is over the hill :lol: ... no way SVG would cut Hedo's well deserved minutes... you may argue that Hedo was motivated by Rashards arrival but to suggest that Hedo would have extensive bench time is absurd. The way he is playing Hill would have been riding the bench...
Typhoon20
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Typhoon20 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:11 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:You know I think that guy averaging 22/15/2.5 might have had a little something to do with it to.

He has NOTHING to do with it.

It's all Shard baby.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#27 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:07 pm

parso15 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You have to be kidding :crazy:

Grant (Hill) is over the hill :lol: ... no way SVG would cut Hedo's well deserved minutes... you may argue that Hedo was motivated by Rashards arrival but to suggest that Hedo would have extensive bench time is absurd. The way he is playing Hill would have been riding the bench...

I didn't take him to be saying anything against Hedo. I put that more on the coaches. Because that is what happened the past couple seasons. Hedo sat on the bench so Grant could get more minutes. They did play together last season, but Grant always was made the option over Hedo, or Hedo deferred to Grant (not sure which).
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#28 » by golfreak » Fri Feb 1, 2008 12:32 am

Call me crazy but even if we had a player like Kapono instead of Lewis, we would still have the same record.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#29 » by mhectorgato » Fri Feb 1, 2008 3:47 am

golfreak wrote:Call me crazy but even if we had a player like Kapono instead of Lewis, we would still have the same record.

You know ... he just might be the best shooter in the history of the game.

However, who would be playing PF right now?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic