Pacers/Clippers/Hornets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Post#13 » by shrink » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:15 pm

I think these are exactly the type of deals that Indiana needs to do, and are reminiscent of McHale's financial turn-around in MIN.

Last year after the Garnett trade finally allowed MIN its first chance to rebuild in ten years, McHale made four trades to chop a year or two off most of their longterm vets. Out were the deal of Blount, Trenton Hassell, and, yes Mike James, and in return MIN got less talented players, but deals entirely made of of expirings and two-year contracts.

This year, MIN is in great shape financially. They have only one overpaid player (Marko Jaric), and he actually is pretty useful. The two-year deals have turned into $13 mil in expirings, and MIN has $23 mil coming off the books next Summer.

IND has talent problems, but their bigger issue is that hey are in a similar financial stranglehold. A deal like this not only maintains the young pick, but it would speed up the rebuild. Tinsley is more talented, but this frees up playing time to develop young players. It would also be a PR gain in Indiana.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Post#14 » by shrink » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:20 pm

ClipperEric wrote:The better option is TT for Jaric. I'd much rather have Jaric than Tinsley.

MIN would have to say yes to this. They would probably try to send Tim Thomas elsewhere to a place where he'd fit better, but they simply can't afoord to say no to chopping a year off of Jaric's contract.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#15 » by BrooklynBulls » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:29 pm

loserX wrote:That's interesting too. My thoughts there are that Mobley would just sit behind Dunleavy, whereas the Pacers would still be short at PG, and the fact that he's more expensive might push the Pacers into the tax this year, which negates some of the savings they get from moving Tinsley. Again, it depends on how badly they want to get rid of Jamaal.

My feelings on Tinsley are...not good. So I think trading Tim Thomas for him is overpayment. However, Mobley is very similar in terms of overall salary; Tinsley just costs a couple million more over one more year. But you're right about the luxury tax; they're closer than I thought. However, the Pacers are in a position where it looks like they'll be making some signiicant changes, and one of those could reduce that salary. Tinsley for Mobley has basically no statute of limitations and would be easy to do, even mid-season.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#16 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:36 pm

Cound LAC in.

Return to Trades and Transactions