NBA Expansion

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 273

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#661 » by LakerLegend » Tue Nov 7, 2023 7:23 am

shrink wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
shrink wrote:I assume the NBA uses DMA’s (which includes nearby suburbs and exburbs), and not the strict population of the individual city.

For example, Tampa-St Pete-Sarasota is the #13 DMA in the US (Seattle is #12). Jacksonville is #41. That’s a better market.

Than Seattle? Absolutely not.

Jacksonville I don't care about. We don't need 3 teams in Florida.

There's no point in putting a team in Tampa with the Magic nearby.

That’s kind of like saying, “there’s no point having the Clippers when we already have the Lakers.”

No, it's actually not at all.

For a million historic, economic, and logistical reasons.

They aren't ever going to put a team in Tampa so long as the Magic are right down the road. The Magic are effectively Tampa's team as far as the NBA is concerned.

If and when history proves me wrong(it won't) then we can waste time about the NBA in Tampa.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#662 » by shrink » Tue Nov 7, 2023 8:30 am

LakerLegend wrote:
shrink wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
Than Seattle? Absolutely not.

Jacksonville I don't care about. We don't need 3 teams in Florida.

There's no point in putting a team in Tampa with the Magic nearby.

That’s kind of like saying, “there’s no point having the Clippers when we already have the Lakers.”

They aren't ever going to put a team in Tampa so long as the Magic are right down the road. The Magic are effectively Tampa's team as far as the NBA is concerned.

If and when history proves me wrong(it won't) then we can waste time about the NBA in Tampa.

You’re just repeating yourself.

If Los Angeles had no NBA team, do you LA fans would support one in Palm Springs? Do you think the NBA would be content with just a fraction of the large Los Angeles market?

Perhaps you don’t understand the dollars involved here. The Tampa market is about equal to NOP, SAS and OKC .. combined. The NBA isn’t going to just be happy with a fraction of such a large (and growing) market.

Like I said, Vegas and Seattle are the clear cut first two. But probably the next most viable American city for an NBA franchise is Tampa-St Pete.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#663 » by LakerLegend » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:49 pm

shrink wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
shrink wrote:That’s kind of like saying, “there’s no point having the Clippers when we already have the Lakers.”

You’re just repeating yourself.

If Los Angeles had no NBA team, do you LA fans would support one in Palm Springs? Do you think the NBA would be content with just a fraction of the large Los Angeles market?

Perhaps you don’t understand the dollars involved here. The Tampa market is about equal to NOP, SAS and OKC .. combined. The NBA isn’t going to just be happy with a fraction of such a large (and growing) market.

Like I said, Vegas and Seattle are the clear cut first two. But probably the next most viable American city for an NBA franchise is Tampa-St Pete.

LA is a market of almost 20 million people, comparing it to Tampa is apples and oranges. You compared Tampa to 3 of the smallest markets in the league. There is no data or information to backup any of your other claims.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#664 » by LakerLegend » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 am

Silver said that there are "couple of cities in the US" that the NBA will look at first. It's expected those cities will include Seattle and Las Vegas. Silver was asked about international expansion. He said that Vancouver and Mexico City remain in consideration for NBA involvement.

Silver added that Montreal has reached out to the NBA to express interest in an expansion team. Silver talked about how rapidly the game of basketball has grown in Canada. He also mentioned how successful the league has been with the now-annual Mexico City game, as well as the G League presence in Mexico City.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273666/Adam-Silver-Says-Montreal-Has-Reached-Out-To-NBA-On-Expansion
81Zees
Freshman
And1: 64

Post#666 » by 81Zees » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:02 am

LeBron's retirement gift for himself should be to get a team in Vegas. That would be awesome.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#667 » by LakerLegend » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 pm

It looks like there is a lot of pushback against the A's getting public funding in Vegas. I wonder if this will affect potential NBA expansion.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,285

Post#668 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 pm

LakerLegend wrote:It looks like there is a lot of pushback against the A's getting public funding in Vegas. I wonder if this will affect potential NBA expansion.

NBA is much more popular than the MLB.

Shouldn't be a problem funding for the NBA. Vegas is basically the main attraction for NBA stars.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#669 » by giberish » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:It looks like there is a lot of pushback against the A's getting public funding in Vegas. I wonder if this will affect potential NBA expansion.

Shouldn't be a problem funding for the NBA. Vegas is basically the main attraction for NBA stars.

Presumably an NBA team would play in the same arena as the Golden Knights (much as a Seattle expansion team would share the Kraken arena) so they really shouldn't need any public money. They may try and ask for it anyways.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#670 » by LakerLegend » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm

giberish wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Presumably an NBA team would play in the same arena as the Golden Knights (much as a Seattle expansion team would share the Kraken arena) so they really shouldn't need any public money. They may try and ask for it anyways.

Hasn't the general idea been that an NBA team will get it's own arena?

Return to The General Board